• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU coaches, players impressed with Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins

CountryFrog

But in the end Georgia's front seven, particular Roquan Smith, proved sufficiently disruptive that OU's line couldn't win the game. Sacks and hurries combined with fewer rush yards in the second half turned that game around. That was my point. We aren't just going to line up and dominate in this game. I think we'll do fine, but we have to be more creative than just telling our guys to line up and smash. We're not going out-smash the Buckeyes for 60 minutes; that was my point.
What if Anderson had run for 300 yards against Georgia? Then would you like our chances to run against Ohio St?

How many yards would a RB on a different team need to get in a game from a different season against an opponent that we're not playing for you to feel better about the TCU running game against Ohio St tomorrow?

Limey Frog

What if Anderson had run for 300 yards against Georgia? Then would you like our chances to run against Ohio St?

How many yards would a RB on a different team need to get in a game from a different season against an opponent that we're not playing for you to feel better about the TCU running game against Ohio St tomorrow?

It's an illustrative analogy. That's how analogies work. It's very difficult even for extremely talented, large, and deep offensive lines to just run over the best elite defensive fronts; here is a memorable recent example of that not happening. tOSU's defensive front is at least that good; our o-line is not as good as OU's last year. Hence the comparison. If you need to look the word analogy up in a dictionary, be my guest.

Wouldn’t normally expect that, no. But then I also wouldn’t have expected the Oregon State running back to go for 168 and 2 scores on 11 carries. Or the backup to average 5.9 on 8 carries. Or his backup to average 7.7 on 3 carries. But that’s just me.

Agreed...it was alarming to see Oregon State rip off multiple long runs. The issue was not maintain gap presence with the DL getting too far up field and the LBs being late to fill gaps. The run defense looked much better with gap presence in the Rutgers game....but TCU is not Rutgers.

TCU will have success on the ground (I think) in a feast or famine scenario either getting good chunk runs (10-15+ yds a pop) or getting stuff. I would be surprised if TCU has a sustained rushing attack against the Buckeye front seven. The ability of SR using his legs and his arm while picking the correct time to do both will be the difference in the game.

CountryFrog

It's an illustrative analogy. That's how analogies work. It's very difficult even for extremely talented, large, and deep offensive lines to just run over the best elite defensive fronts; here is a memorable recent example of that not happening. tOSU's defensive front is at least that good; our o-line is not as good as OU's last year. Hence the comparison. If you need to look the word analogy up in a dictionary, be my guest.
We all understand the point you're attempting to make. Your analogy just doesn't make any sense because it involves two totally different teams and OU ran for 242 yards averaging 5.5 ypc. I think we'd all be pretty happy with that output tomorrow.

Yance

Just too tough for us. Good luck the rest of the season! Hope we get to see you in the playoffs.

Now that was one hell of a game. Few things:
  • I am impressed with both QB's.
  • The first couple of drives you guys put together were flawless (aside from the hold that negated the TD).
  • Statements about TCU team speed are absolutely valid!
  • Frustrating result, I'm sure, but I think all-in-all there's a ton of positives for TCU.
  • Buckeyes defensive back seven need some work. This was a good test, and we'll need to improve to make the CFP.
  • Hopefully no one suffered any big time injuries. Bosa injury should be okay as long as he can recover quick. We have Penn State in 2 weeks :/

Best of luck in the Big12!