• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU coaches, players impressed with Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins

CountryFrog

True, but the general concensus among observers is that Haskins is better the Barrett. But my main point isn’t necessarily that Haskins is better than Barrett, my point is that the TYPE of QB that Haskins is will be more affective against our defense than the TYPE of quarterback Barrett is. Barrett was more of a threat with his legs, but he struggled with the deep ball. Patterson’s defenses have generally feasted on offenses that have struggled with the deep ball. So that could have been an area of advantage had this game been last year. However this is this year and by all appearances, Haskins throws an excellent deep ball.

Both Haskins and Robinson’s played terrible teams through the first two games. But in those two games Haskins was decisively better throwing the ball. It wasn’t even remotely close. Objectively looking at Haskins and Robinson’s play through two game, Ohio State and TCU do not appear to be in the same boat quarterback wise. Remember, Haskins is a year older.

Now that’s not to say Robinson won’t end up being the better quarterback or that he won’t end up outplaying Haskins this Saturday and lead us to a victory. I’m a big fan of Robinson long term, I think he will eventually match if not surpass Dalton and Boykin as the best QB of the Patterson era. But from what I’ve seen so far this season, it looks like he may still be a year away from being in his prime and being the quarterback we need to beat Ohio State. I hope he proves me wrong on Saturday.

I wish the 2019 Ohio State game was still on the schedule because I would have loved to see Robinson in his prime playing behind an experienced Oline, with a healthy Blacklock to anchor the defense. But this is this year, this week, in this situation. Won’t stop me from being there and cheering and being as loud as I can to support TCU the whole game.
It just sounds like to me that you're putting a lot of stock into what's happened in the first two weeks for both teams. So if that's the way you want to approach it then that's fine. In my opinion, we shouldn't be putting a single ounce of stock into either team's first two games. Will Haskins be as accurate after he's been hit in the mouth a couple times (assuming of course that our d-line does get some hits on him)? Will OSU receivers be running wide open 50 yards downfield against our secondary? We don't know that because OSU hasn't been tested yet against a team that has a legitimate chance of defending them.

Portland Frog

if gary has to involve the safeties in control the run game as history has shown us the frog defense is in for a long night.

Yep. and if the offense compounds the problem with a lot of 3 and outs....

At least the frogs, so far, haven't committed a lot of penalties. Let's hope they can keep them in control (=< than 5) for the game.

Planks

I agree that the deep ball is going to be imperative for us to be able to win

Reagor needs to have 150+ yards and 2+ TDs.

Yance

Just to add a little input from Columbus, OH..

Q: Why the hype for D. Haskins? :

1. He's been praised by his teammates and coaches since his arrival, but even more so since his spectacular play in the MIchigan game last year.
  2. With regards to why he didn't beat JT Barrett out last year: In one word: EXPERIENCE. OSU was very successful with JT at QB and Urban Meyer is on record saying that LEADERSHIP & EXPERIENCE are two of the more important characteristics he looks for in a starting QB.
  3. This offense is much different with Haskins at the helm, AND it finally favors the talent we have all over the field. Our WR's have had talent for years, but have gone underutilized due to the difference at QB. Our RB's have also been underutilized for the same reason.
  4. His deep ball accuracy and zip is something we have not seen at OSU in a long time.
  5. This may be one of the better O-Lines OSU has seen in the Urban Meyer era.
For these reasons, the OSU beat (and recently, national writers) has littered the web with hype for D.H... We'll see if he lives up to it!

Frog-in-law1995

Just to add a little input from Columbus, OH..

Q: Why the hype for D. Haskins? :

1. He's been praised by his teammates and coaches since his arrival, but even more so since his spectacular play in the MIchigan game last year.
  2. With regards to why he didn't beat JT Barrett out last year: In one word: EXPERIENCE. OSU was very successful with JT at QB and Urban Meyer is on record saying that LEADERSHIP & EXPERIENCE are two of the more important characteristics he looks for in a starting QB.
  3. This offense is much different with Haskins at the helm, AND it finally favors the talent we have all over the field. Our WR's have had talent for years, but have gone underutilized due to the difference at QB. Our RB's have also been underutilized for the same reason.
  4. His deep ball accuracy and zip is something we have not seen at OSU in a long time.
  5. This may be one of the better O-Lines OSU has seen in the Urban Meyer era.
For these reasons, the OSU beat (and recently, national writers) has littered the web with hype for D.H... We'll see if he lives up to it!

So Haskins threw 7 passes for 97 yards and no scores against an average Michigan team, and he’s suddenly the best QB Meyer’s had at Ohio State? I mean, maybe he is, but sounds like you guys are really reaching.

TCU_91

My opinion only;

We run the damn ball like we did against Ole Miss and Arkansas we stand up much better.

We get cute with all that empty back field inside the 20, we're gonna get smacked around. No point in running the stupid wild frog. Go straight at them.

I'm still not impressed with Cumbie s play calling. He tries to be wayyy to cute.

Just Run the D amn Ball. Don't care if it's 2 yards.

FrogLifeYo

My opinion only;

We run the damn ball like we did against Ole Miss and Arkansas we stand up much better.

We get cute with all that empty back field inside the 20, we're gonna get smacked around. No point in running the stupid wild frog. Go straight at them.

I'm still not impressed with Cumbie s play calling. He tries to be wayyy to cute.

Outside of how we line up, our offense was completely different and more run oriented last year then in previous years. We will be that way again this year as well. I can assure you’ve not even seen the real playbook in the first 2 games so I wouldn’t put any thought into what we called so far. I think Cumbie is more than aware that you have to run the ball to keep the pressure off the young QB. No doubt GP is right in his ear letting him know that 3 and outs are to hard on his defense. Just watch Sat..I guarantee both teams are going to try to establish the run early..

berryfrog95

Many forget....we didn’t have #6 in the backfield last year for most of the first OU game and all of the B12CG vs OU...... that alone can help us control the ball on offense.....I see that playing a big part in the game plan.

Yance

So Haskins threw 7 passes for 97 yards and no scores against an average Michigan team, and he’s suddenly the best QB Meyer’s had at Ohio State? I mean, maybe he is, but sounds like you guys are really reaching.

I never said he is the best QB in Meyer's tenure at OSU, but that wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. He's certainly the most polished passer of all the QB's Meyer has coached at OSU, but OSU hasn't seen a pro style QB for a while.

97 yards may not seem like much, but he entered that game late in the 2H, down by a Touchdown against one of the best defenses in the country last year. This was also his first time playing meaningful minutes in THE biggest game of the year. All Haskins did was complete 6 of 7 passes including a clutch third-and-13, show off his mobility with a 22-yard scramble, and set up J.K. Dobbins for a go-ahead touchdown. I'd say that's pretty impressive given the circumstances. And you all get to see it tomorrow night =)

Frog-in-law1995

I never said he is the best QB in Meyer's tenure at OSU, but that wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. He's certainly the most polished passer of all the QB's Meyer has coached at OSU, but OSU hasn't seen a pro style QB for a while.

97 yards may not seem like much, but he entered that game late in the 2H, down by a Touchdown against one of the best defenses in the country last year. This was also his first time playing meaningful minutes in THE biggest game of the year. All Haskins did was complete 6 of 7 passes including a clutch third-and-13, show off his mobility with a 22-yard scramble, and set up J.K. Dobbins for a go-ahead touchdown. I'd say that's pretty impressive given the circumstances. And you all get to see it tomorrow night =)

K.

Limey Frog

My opinion only;

With their defensive front, if we don't get creative and they know we're going to do nothing but run, run, run then two yards will be all we get. I don't like it, but we don't have Alabama's o-line. I'm sure our guys will do well, but if Oklahoma can't just line up and run over Georgia then we're not going to do that to Ohio State.

Frog-in-law1995

With their defensive front, if we don't get creative and they know we're going to do nothing but run, run, run then two yards will be all we get. I don't like it, but we don't have Alabama's o-line. I'm sure our guys will do well, but if Oklahoma can't just line up and run over Georgia then we're not going to do that to Ohio State.

Don’t understand the OU/Georgia comparison to our game, but Anderson had over 200 yards and 2 TDs against Georgia.

FrogLifeYo

We just need to manage the emotion of the game early..Be patient, realize we are as good as them, and build on that confidence....If I’m GP I’m preaching execute and don’t make mistakes. Play them even early and break them late..

cdsfrog

My opinion only;

True but I will add this, we need to convert on 3rd down. If we are under 50% I think we lose. Under 35% we get killed as we wont be on the field enough, our defense will get tired and torched.

Frog-in-law1995

I don't understand the comparison either. LOL. That being said, I wouldn't expect to see anyone lineup and run the ball repeatedly with success against our D-Line. That's just me though.

Wouldn’t normally expect that, no. But then I also wouldn’t have expected the Oregon State running back to go for 168 and 2 scores on 11 carries. Or the backup to average 5.9 on 8 carries. Or his backup to average 7.7 on 3 carries. But that’s just me.

Limey Frog

Don’t understand the OU/Georgia comparison to our game, but Anderson had over 200 yards and 2 TDs against Georgia.

But in the end Georgia's front seven, particular Roquan Smith, proved sufficiently disruptive that OU's line couldn't win the game. Sacks and hurries combined with fewer rush yards in the second half turned that game around. That was my point. We aren't just going to line up and dominate in this game. I think we'll do fine, but we have to be more creative than just telling our guys to line up and smash. We're not going out-smash the Buckeyes for 60 minutes; that was my point.