• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU baseball evens series against Texas, moves one victory away from the Big 12 title

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU baseball evens series against Texas, moves one victory away from the Big 12 title

BY DREW DAVISON

The TCU baseball team is closing in on another Big 12 regular-season title.

The No. 3-ranked Horned Frogs have a chance to seal at least a share of the conference championship with a win over No. 6 Texas on Sunday. TCU downed UT 2-1 on Saturday afternoon to even the three-game series at 1-1. The finale is scheduled for Sunday afternoon at Lupton Stadium.

This series has lived up to the hype so far between the Big 12’s top teams. TCU (34-11, 16-4 Big 12) and Texas (37-12, 14-6 Big 12) have played two straight one-run games in front of a lively crowd.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article251264559.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
And Georgia beat Arkie last night. Repeat Saturday's results today and the Frogs might find themselves atop the polls.

Pharm Frog

And Georgia beat Arkie last night. Repeat Saturday's results today and the Frogs might find themselves atop the polls.

Perhaps....but this game today is massively important for another reason other than D1 rankings. With a win today, the Frogs would accrue 29 RPI points. With a loss the Frogs would drop 35 points. The Whorns gain 37 with a win and drop 9 with a loss. There's currently only 44 points separating the two teams with Vandy in between. Depending on the SOS results of other games, it's quite conceivable UT passes the Frogs in RPI with a win over the Frogs. And this deficit would be hard to overcome for the Frogs given the remaining games on the schedule if things play out as they appear they should. This would mean that UT would likely have the RPI advantage over the Frogs, the head-to-head advantage over the Frogs, and if things came down to only one Big 12 protected seed, that may very well not accrue to our benefit.

I would expect UT to cancel their midweek against Texas Southern and maybe even Rice which would give them 11 days of rest before facing the Eers in Austin which is their last series of the season. Both Texas Southern and Rice have RPIs in the 200's.

All this and still IMO both of these teams deserve national seeds but never know how it's gonna play out in the committee room. I'm very hopeful that there's a recognition that RPI isn't the best indicator this year with some conferences sitting out or severely limiting non-con games, but even that perspective has its risks because that could bring in a usurper from the Big 10 or additional consideration for the ACC.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Not really excited by that idea...feel like we don’t have a great history playing as the #1 ranking

Somehow I expect that if Mississippi State completes the sweep of South Carolina on the road and Vandy finishes off Alabama, we'd still end up sitting behind at least one SEC team and maybe two

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Perhaps....but this game today is massively important for another reason other than D1 rankings. With a win today, the Frogs would accrue 29 RPI points. With a loss the Frogs would drop 35 points. The Whorns gain 37 with a win and drop 9 with a loss. There's currently only 44 points separating the two teams with Vandy in between. Depending on the SOS results of other games, it's quite conceivable UT passes the Frogs in RPI with a win over the Frogs. And this deficit would be hard to overcome for the Frogs given the remaining games on the schedule if things play out as they appear they should. This would mean that UT would likely have the RPI advantage over the Frogs, the head-to-head advantage over the Frogs, and if things came down to only one Big 12 protected seed, that may very well not accrue to our benefit.

I would expect UT to cancel their midweek against Texas Southern and maybe even Rice which would give them 11 days of rest before facing the Eers in Austin which is their last series of the season. Both Texas Southern and Rice have RPIs in the 200's.

All this and still IMO both of these teams deserve national seeds but never know how it's gonna play out in the committee room. I'm very hopeful that there's a recognition that RPI isn't the best indicator this year with some conferences sitting out or severely limiting non-con games, but even that perspective has its risks because that could bring in a usurper from the Big 10 or additional consideration for the ACC.
Just win, baby! It'll take care of itself...

I know you're being cautious, but I think UT and we have sewn up a national seed at this point.

Pharm Frog

I know you're being cautious, but I think UT and we have sewn up a national seed at this point.

I am being cautious and I believe they SHOULD have sewn up national seeds but in no way do I believe that either TCU or UT has sewn up a national seed with a loss today. There is still the possibility that Tech could pass either or both with a good run in Norman and at home against KU and a solid run in Bricktown.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
UT has sewn up a National Seed. Period. Full stop.

They're UT.

We, OTOH, are perilously teetering on the edge. We will be perilously teetering on the edge unless we win out, and I still have no confidence in the buggers judging things even then...