• The KillerFrogs

From the ‘I’ll be long gone by then’ department…

tcudoc

This projection was cited in a Star Telegram article today.

I doubt it. The infrastructure is not there, especially in Austin. I think the lack of mass transit will cause growth to slow. Austin has already far outgrown its blood supply. The logjam of roadways will likely be the barrier.
I’m hoping growth slows down considerably.

Limey Frog

I doubt it. The infrastructure is not there, especially in Austin. I think the lack of mass transit will cause growth to slow. Austin has already far outgrown its blood supply. The logjam of roadways will likely be the barrier.
The game-changing tech there might be driverless cars permitting subscription schemes to car services to replace individual car ownership. That would increase population density (by eliminating the requirements currently in place for new residency builds to include X amount of parking spaces per unit), and decrease travel time by decreasing total cars on the road and increasing the efficiency with which those cars move (e.g., two lanes filtering into one is pretty simple if done by software that is controlling all of the cars and doesn't allow Johnny Jackwagon to drive his Dodge Ram up the shoulder then cause mayhem by trying to cut in out of sequence). If people just called a Google Car when they need to go somewhere and the nearest one going their way pulls over and picks them up you'd need a heck of a lot fewer cars in total. Fewer cars, less infrastructure necessary for more people.

Limey Frog

77 years is a long time to build infrastructure.
Yeah, Baltimore will probably have half of the Francis Scott Key bridge rebuild by then. Of course it will have been renamed the Ibram Kendi bridge and a whole bunch of City Hall officials will have mysteriously built large new second homes on the Maryland shore in the meantime. But forward progress on the bridge will be substantial and impressive.

What Up Toad

The game-changing tech there might be driverless cars permitting subscription schemes to car services to replace individual car ownership. That would increase population density (by eliminating the requirements currently in place for new residency builds to include X amount of parking spaces per unit), and decrease travel time by decreasing total cars on the road and increasing the efficiency with which those cars move (e.g., two lanes filtering into one is pretty simple if done by software that is controlling all of the cars and doesn't allow Johnny Jackwagon to drive his Dodge Ram up the shoulder then cause mayhem by trying to cut in out of sequence). If people just called a Google Car when they need to go somewhere and the nearest one going their way pulls over and picks them up you'd need a heck of a lot fewer cars in total. Fewer cars, less infrastructure necessary for more people.
Yep, and won't need nearly as many parking lots.

mcdaddy

Chongo94

If they could actually make a true viable one for the entire DFW metromess, I’d be ecstatic. Doubt that ever happens. Americans, and especially Texans, love their cars and ability to drive wherever despite traffic jams.

Horned Toad

If they could actually make a true viable one for the entire DFW metromess, I’d be ecstatic. Doubt that ever happens. Americans, and especially Texans, love their cars and ability to drive wherever despite traffic jams.
My wife and I took the train to the Mavericks game at the AAC last Friday night from T&P Station in FW and left at 5:58 PM and arrived at the AAC at 6:56, and were in our seats before the end of the National Anthem. No way we could have done that if we drove and we arrived and I wasn’t white knuckled with my wife having a sore foot from stomping on her imaginary passenger brake the whole way. It was great except for the homeless guy that got on the train at the Richland Hills stop and spewed the Richard and Kitty Cat euphemisms all the way to the next stop where the security guard kicked him off. Other than that, it was a great trip, but points out the hazards of public transportation, at least for your senses. I was able to enjoy several adult beverages during the game and not worry about a DWI on the way back to Fort Worth. If we had convenient rail travel like that all over Fort Worth I for one would use it. But like many, it will have to be convenient, and safe.

AustinFrog

If it also made stops in Arlington for football and baseball. I remember part of the City of Arlington excepted itself from the train to protect parking revenue.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I loved taking the train when I lived in Chicago. One of life’s small pleasures: having a big tallboy Sopporro on my Friday afternoon train ride home.