• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

PO Frog

There is a difference between the Air Raid which Cumbie played in while at Tech and the spread. Everyone has to have shotgun and be able to thrown the football because of the rules now. But as you will see below the team that plays the best defense and can have long sustainable drives that eat clock wins the national championship every year. I also understand we are not these programs but we if are not trying to win a National Championship what are we trying to do?

2013 National Championship: Alabama VS Notre Dame AJ Macarron was the QB they didnt have a Air Raid offense
2014 Ohio State VS Oregon: QB Cardale Jones Didnt not run air raid ( they had Ezekiel Elliott)
2015 Alabama vs Clemson: QB Jake Coker did not run air raid RB Derrick Henry
2016 Alabama Vs Clemson : Qb Deshaun Watson still get under center in that game.
2017 Alabama Vs Georgia: Both teams get under center and play amazing defense in this on.
2018 Clemson Vs Alabama: Clemson has like 5 first round defensive players they get under center and #1 rated pro style QB in college football.
Not only do we not run air raid, but a couple of weeks ago we were top 7 in the country in time of possession and had a losing record. It’s basically a meaningless stat yet you seem to be intent on finding someone else that Can sit on the ball the longest. If that’s what you (and GP apparently) want, you better get a whole lot better on defense. Two games this year all we have needed is to prevent the other team from driving the length of the field and scoring to preserve a win. Still waiting to get that stop.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

We don’t run an air raid so I don’t know why you keep acting like we do.

And we should not be trying to run the Air Raid. We have a young QB and below average WRs and an average OL. When teams blitz us, we can't deal with it.

I have no problem not running the Air Raid. Why try to run something that will not work? The issue is our play caller does not use our strengths (RBs) and puts our QB in bad spots due to poor calls like slow, deep developing routes with no blitz checkoffs. I don't understand why we can't check down to a quick slant or out if the QB sees the blitz. At the minimum, have DA turn around and catch a shovel pass since he can't block anyone.

TooColdU

Lets focus on winning some conference championships first. If we win the B12 5 years in a row, like OU is about to this year and then go to the CFP 3 times, then I promise you we can come back and complain about the air raid not winning national championships. Deal?

Haha exactly this. People are talking about national championships and here I am just hoping for a Big 12 championship that we don’t have to share with Baylor.

4th. down

And we should not be trying to run the Air Raid. We have a young QB and below average WRs and an average OL. When teams blitz us, we can't deal with it.

I have no problem not running the Air Raid. Why try to run something that will not work? The issue is our play caller does not use our strengths (RBs) and puts our QB in bad spots due to poor calls like slow, deep developing routes with no blitz checkoffs. I don't understand why we can't check down to a quick slant or out if the QB sees the blitz. At the minimum, have DA turn around and catch a shovel pass since he can't block anyone.

Teton, too many fundamental offensive game planning mistakes.

First the obvious, Delton taking practice reps from Max. 2nd. when the decision was made to finally start Max, knowing he's a true freshman, no air raid for his 1st. year, more of a Rose Bowl offense where you supplement your running game with about 20-25 pass attempts. This gets Max acclimated to Big 12 ball coming from Ames, Iowa, a big, big step up. This approach also keeps him from getting beat up, less turnovers, and move the chains. GP is to blame here along with Sonny by not recognizing this pre 1st. game and being infatuated with Delton.

You gotta wake up GP. It ain't all on Sonny. You're the HC, time for you to grow up so that you can do the things you need to do when you need to do them so you can win by 1 point. You would never make it on the staff at LSU where the goal of winning by 1 point is ludicrous.

Last edited:

FrogREI36

View attachment 6487

Couldnt resist.
We don’t run an air raid so I don’t know why you keep acting like we do.
Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 12.38.51 PM.png

Couldn't resist. When he was brought here it was literally to run the AIR RAID offense.

What style off offense we run is besides the point though. We can all agree that whatever it is it sucks and is terrible to watch. I believe more than just Cumbie needs to go. A lot of the offense staff has been there to long and produced average at best results. Aside from the Peach bowl team our offense has been average since the Rose bowl team when Justin Fuente was in charge of it. Gary has a hard time trusting people and is an incredibly loyal guy I believe that is why he cannot parts ways with Rusty Burns, Jarret Anderson, and Curtis Looper.

On the other hand those guys have shown when lead by the correct leader and offensive mind they can produce results because they where on the staff that won the Rose Bowl and went to Fiesta Bowls.

Froggish

View attachment 6487

Couldnt resist.

View attachment 6488

Couldn't resist. When he was brought here it was literally to run the AIR RAID offense.

What style off offense we run is besides the point though. We can all agree that whatever it is it sucks and is terrible to watch. I believe more than just Cumbie needs to go. A lot of the offense staff has been there to long and produced average at best results. Aside from the Peach bowl team our offense has been average since the Rose bowl team when Justin Fuente was in charge of it. Gary has a hard time trusting people and is an incredibly loyal guy I believe that is why he cannot parts ways with Rusty Burns, Jarret Anderson, and Curtis Looper.

On the other hand those guys have shown when lead by the correct leader and offensive mind they can produce results because they where on the staff that won the Rose Bowl and went to Fiesta Bowls.

Just to be clear SC and Meach were brought here to run the Air Raid but that offensive philosophy left with Meachum. It was the point of contention between GP and Meach. SC remained here to call plays and to revamp the offense away from the raid to the spread. We are no longer an Air Raid and haven’t been since 16

Raw Frog

I had a dream where Gary brought in Sonny Dykes to be the OC, and be a co HC.
Gary would be the DC, and be responsible for everything on defense, including defensive coaches, recruitment and development of defensive players.
Sonny would be fully responsible for everything on offense, including coaches, recruitment and development. In addition, Sonny would be responsible for all time management and ultimate game decisions and strategies, special teams, strength and conditioning, spring game and marketing, and take all post game interviews.
It was a beautiful thing. I could feel the fresh air.
I almost hated to wake up....