• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s offense is so bad, it’s going to force Gary Patterson to find a new coordinator

I dont know if you remember how blah Meach was too. Boykin and Docston was a big reason TCU was scoring. But I've been against Meach, but maybe it's why those guys worked. I just think TCU can find a special OC other than what was in the past.

tetonfrog

Meach had a better feel for sure. I wasn’t particularly fond of the offense but it was miles better then what we are doing right now

Not in his last year. The offense for that 6-7 team was a disaster. Period. You have forgotten the Kyle Hicks Wild Frog vs. OSU, the fade to Dez White vs. Tech, the double reverses on short yardage.........I could go on and on.

That horrible offense is the biggest reason why I believe GP soured on the up tempo IMO. Meech left the D out there all year and we got pounded late in the season.

I am all for letting SC go, but we can do better than Meech.

Wexahu

Not in his last year. The offense for that 6-7 team was a disaster. Period. You have forgotten the Kyle Hicks Wild Frog vs. OSU, the fade to Dez White vs. Tech, the double reverses on short yardage.........I could go on and on.

That horrible offense is the biggest reason why I believe GP soured on the up tempo IMO. Meech left the D out there all year and we got pounded late in the season.

Lots of truth here IMO. I remember watching us the first couple games of the year wondering what the hell we were trying to do. It was like there was some kind of bet on how fast we could get a snap off, guys were literally sprinting back into position after a play. And then we’d run some super vanilla running play or a WR screen. Stupid, and no thanks to that making a re-appearance. We need someone who knows how to put together a real offense.

Purp

People were saying these same things in 2013 and then we get a offensive identity and look like world beaters..I really don’t think we have a talent problem. Maybe in the OL but we are solid every where else...I would wager that if you find the right OC with a strong scheme and a feel for how to call it, you will all the sudden see a group of very talented players.
In 2013 the OL was roundly criticized as awful. In 2014 they were excellent. Same group. The only change was the offensive scheme.

Froggish

Oh I agree...I’m not on board with Meach at all

The TCU Football Jerk

As much as I hate muck's writing, he is fairly on target with much of this article.
He points out some things that best summarize the problem with Cumbie's offense.

"Even when TCU had the ball at the 1 yard line, Duggan was lined up in the shotgun. The ball was at the 1, but it's snapped 3 to 4 yards away from the line of scrimmage."

Folks who love the new offenses sometimes miss this. Even on 3rd and 1, this is a bad idea.

You put the backs in the back field and qb sneak with a push.

With our o-line it wouldn't have mattered which way it was run.

Mean Purple

In case you ever think that Gil gives a rats ass about TCU either. Never mind that we beat them 3 times in a row in Austin from 2012-2016.

The two replies spell that out to him. Guess he also missed when we won this year in Fort Worth. Because it weakens his response to Elmo.

That said, don't know if Texas is the 5th best team. They win out, and they are in a conf championship. And likely over rapey bear.

Mean Purple

The numbers show 2016 to be higher than last year in many areas, and if pace keeps, higher than this year. On pace to be better tan this year, except for one area - Points per Game. (Granted, we still have 3 games left to see that affected). (WARNING: This is based on the stats found in the links below. Never sure how accurate stuff is online.)

In 2017, we had SD on staff, who has shown to really boost SMU, and Kenny Hill at QB who was in his second full season of play in the system. (Kenny's first year, 2016 was his first real play time in roughly a year and a half. ) So 2016, 2018, 2019 show examples of first year starter at qb. Granted, Max did not have a whole previous year of being on the team and viewing game speed, which KH and SR did.
The rcvr unit in 2016 looked better as a whole than they did last year. More guys making more plays. Last year, JR had to carry the load. Especially with KT out. He is doing it so far this year, but on pace for less numbers. Obviously, finding some numbers on drops would also help paint a clearer picture, but I don't know who ever puts those out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2016.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2018.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2019.html

Eight

i think the 2016 offense was an example of a team using tempo as an offensive scheme and the lack of an identity caught up with them that year.

two things stand out to me from 2016. first, they really got the backs involved in the passing game to a level sonny has never gotten close. hicks caught almost 50 balls that year to lead the team.

second is the level of talent in the offensive line that year. frogs had 5 players who either are on an active nfl roster, were and got hurt for the year, or on a nfl practice squad.

additionally, kenny was not a first year starter in the sense of max this year or robinson last year. hill had won the starting job at atm, he played in over 10 games, and thrown for over 2,500 yards and 24 td's before he ever came to ft worth.

in 2017 you had kenny playing football for his 4th season, some talent at receiver, talent at running back, an offensive line with 4 nfl caliber players, and added sonny dykes to help provide the structure and identity that was missing in 2016.

2018 you lose dykes, you have robinson instead of hill, and the talent in the interior offensive line drops off dramatically.

2019 we are in year two of sonny on his own, we have the max/alex debacle, you have max's growing pains, and again you don't have near the physical talent in the offensive line that had in 2016 and 2017. consider lucas was a swing guy for those two lines and this year he was the most talented lineman and only real nfl prospect right now.

FrogREI36

We need to go away from Cumbie, Meach, and that entire style of offense. IT HAS NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. Made popular by Oregon always gets tons of hype but never produce a championship because of its in ability to win the close game. Case in point is last week vs Baylor we had the ball on the 1 yard line and because we run this stupid run and gun offense we cannot get under center and go get 1 yard when everyone in the stadium knows that is what we need to do.

Gary Patterson is old school hard nose type of coach and we need that type of offense. Control the clock have a great run game and play action pass from under center. Let the defense rest and they will play much better. Lets go back to the Justin Fuente offense that won us a rose bowl.

Also this offense hurts us in practice and in recruiting. Just look around at the bodies we have on the field we look like a 5A High School football team out there because all we care about is speed. So in the off season we recruit speed and work on speed and we get hurt because we are SMALL! When we played in the MWC we had way bigger player who were fast and MEAN!

kaiser soze

100% FrogREI36. Whatever OC comes in, he needs to bring an offense style that aligns with CGP philosophy and he has total trust in running all the time.

The air raid is anathema to CGPs style. He doesnt trust it, and thus limits and undermines it. Sonny never had a chance (not that he's shown he deserves it)/

Eight

We need to go away from Cumbie, Meach, and that entire style of offense. IT HAS NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. Made popular by Oregon always gets tons of hype but never produce a championship because of its in ability to win the close game. Case in point is last week vs Baylor we had the ball on the 1 yard line and because we run this stupid run and gun offense we cannot get under center and go get 1 yard when everyone in the stadium knows that is what we need to do.

Gary Patterson is old school hard nose type of coach and we need that type of offense. Control the clock have a great run game and play action pass from under center. Let the defense rest and they will play much better. Lets go back to the Justin Fuente offense that won us a rose bowl.

Also this offense hurts us in practice and in recruiting. Just look around at the bodies we have on the field we look like a 5A High School football team out there because all we care about is speed. So in the off season we recruit speed and work on speed and we get hurt because we are SMALL! When we played in the MWC we had way bigger player who were fast and MEAN!

frogs in their lines are as big if not bigger than when they played in the mwc and when you talk about some of the frogs skill players on offense the frogs are bigger than they ever have been.

where the frogs got smaller is at linebacker which was a reaction by patterson to facing the talent in the spread offenses that were common when the frogs joined the big 12.

i do agree that gary needs to go get an offensive staff that can put in an offense he wants run and that isn't sonny's background

Mean Purple

i think the 2016 offense was an example of a team using tempo as an offensive scheme and the lack of an identity caught up with them that year.

two things stand out to me from 2016. first, they really got the backs involved in the passing game to a level sonny has never gotten close. hicks caught almost 50 balls that year to lead the team.

second is the level of talent in the offensive line that year. frogs had 5 players who either are on an active nfl roster, were and got hurt for the year, or on a nfl practice squad.

additionally, kenny was not a first year starter in the sense of max this year or robinson last year. hill had won the starting job at atm, he played in over 10 games, and thrown for over 2,500 yards and 24 td's before he ever came to ft worth.

in 2017 you had kenny playing football for his 4th season, some talent at receiver, talent at running back, an offensive line with 4 nfl caliber players, and added sonny dykes to help provide the structure and identity that was missing in 2016.

2018 you lose dykes, you have robinson instead of hill, and the talent in the interior offensive line drops off dramatically.

2019 we are in year two of sonny on his own, we have the max/alex debacle, you have max's growing pains, and again you don't have near the physical talent in the offensive line that had in 2016 and 2017. consider lucas was a swing guy for those two lines and this year he was the most talented lineman and only real nfl prospect right now.
The drop off at O line is really telling.