• The KillerFrogs

FWST: NCAA approves model to start college football on time as TCU, others add safety measures

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
NCAA approves model to start college football on time as TCU, others add safety measures

By Drew Davison

College football has a model to start the season on time this fall amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The NCAA approved a football preseason model for teams that will allow everyone to start their seasons on time. Every Big 12 program is scheduled to start the weekend of Sept. 5.

Assuming a Sept. 5 opener, teams would begin summer access activities on July 13 with meetings and walk-throughs starting July 24. The pads can come on Aug. 7 as the start of preseason practices. For teams playing on Week Zero (Aug. 29) or prior to the Sept. 5 date, their start dates would be pushed up accordingly. Preseason practices start 29 days before the first game.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article243615167.html#storylink=cpy

froginaustin

Viral infections are the highest they have ever been here in Austin, right now.

Wife works for the State Bar of Texas, in a building right across the street from the Supreme Court - Court of Criminal Appeals building. SBOT was previously planning to start bringing people back into the building in mid-August. Because of the increasing COVID infection rate, SBOT executive leadership (that hardly scratches its backside without clearing it first with (a) the board of directors of the State Bar, and (b) the justices of the Texas Supreme Court, the public officials ultimately responsible for managing the SBOT) is now saying that NO ONE will get back into the building before mid-September, if then, and re-opening the building will be gradual and phased. It is rumored that Gov. Abbott has quietly, informally signed off.

It doesn't look good for allowing full stadiums for football games in September.

I hope the June 20 Tulsa rally doesn't result in a bunch of infections. If it does, that could be a problem for football season and the whole economy.

jake102

Any corporation/government/etc where workers have desk jobs and the ability to work from home shouldn't even be considering bringing people back into the office. There's just no point. I'm not a panic COVID person, but why not do our best to limit things where we can and where there's no real impact?

I've heard of some large corporations bringing back in desk workers and it boggles my mind

Wexahu

Any corporation/government/etc where workers have desk jobs and the ability to work from home shouldn't even be considering bringing people back into the office. There's just no point. I'm not a panic COVID person, but why not do our best to limit things where we can and where there's no real impact?

I've heard of some large corporations bringing back in desk workers and it boggles my mind

I don't see how you can say there's no real impact. If so, why did anyone ever work in an office anyway? I would guess productivity and accountability would decrease quite a bit, especially over time, if everyone was allowed to work from home. I know in our company it would.

Not to mention the anciliary businesses that suffer when people are sitting at home.

Eight

friends who work for exxon have been told that if they have an office in which they can close the door and isolate themselves from their co-workers they can come back to the main offices

our youngest works downtown and they aren't returning until january

jake102

I don't see how you can say there's no real impact. If so, why did anyone ever work in an office anyway? I would guess productivity and accountability would decrease quite a bit, especially over time, if everyone was allowed to work from home. I know in our company it would.

Not to mention the anciliary businesses that suffer when people are sitting at home.

Some good points.

I would definitely argue that the office "culture" of everyone showing up between 8 - 6pm everyday is a total joke in today's age. I'd wager 90% of desk jobs can be completed at 90%+ from home, or at least on a 3-4 days/week from home schedule to maintain some office "culture".

Your last point about "over time" I think is valid and potentially the real issue... after five years, what would things be like?

I'm very much an advocate for working from home though and have been for years. I've worked to try and spearhead small-scale initiatives to get workplace flexibility at two different places.

jake102

friends who work for exxon have been told that if they have an office in which they can close the door and isolate themselves from their co-workers they can come back to the main offices

our youngest works downtown and they aren't returning until january

We are not allowed back until mid-September at the earliest... even then it will be in some kind of modified rotation. I think there's a chance a lot of people (me) are able to never come back full time.

Also - as someone who has pushed back at the modification of offices into open floor plans, I'm internally laughing pretty hard at the panic corporations are having. Yeah I don't think 25 people in a 1,000 sq ft area with no personal offices is such a good idea

Wexahu

Some good points.

I would definitely argue that the office "culture" of everyone showing up between 8 - 6pm everyday is a total joke in today's age. I'd wager 90% of desk jobs can be completed at 90%+ from home, or at least on a 3-4 days/week from home schedule to maintain some office "culture".

Your last point about "over time" I think is valid and potentially the real issue... after five years, what would things be like?

I'm very much an advocate for working from home though and have been for years. I've worked to try and spearhead small-scale initiatives to get workplace flexibility at two different places.

The way I see it is it's hard enough to find accountable people in the workforce. You start letting everyone "work" from home and running a business would be damn near impossible. That's just from my experience. We've got employees that just showing up is a major chore, if they were allowed to stay home you might as well fire them because they wouldn't get jack [ Finebaum ] done.

Major corporations (especially banks) are so overstaffed its a joke so maybe they could pull it off.

jake102

The way I see it is it's hard enough to find accountable people in the workforce. . We've got employees that just showing up is a major chore,

Major corporations (especially banks) are so overstaffed its a joke so maybe they could pull it off.

Sounds like you aren't hiring very good people/not paying enough for good people.

Banks are both overstaffed and understaffed. I've been in groups at banks with both situations (currently understaffed)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don't suppose anybody has told them that there's this big thingee on the roof that circulates air all through the building...

LVH

Viral infections are the highest they have ever been here in Austin, right now.

Wife works for the State Bar of Texas, in a building right across the street from the Supreme Court - Court of Criminal Appeals building. SBOT was previously planning to start bringing people back into the building in mid-August. Because of the increasing COVID infection rate, SBOT executive leadership (that hardly scratches its backside without clearing it first with (a) the board of directors of the State Bar, and (b) the justices of the Texas Supreme Court, the public officials ultimately responsible for managing the SBOT) is now saying that NO ONE will get back into the building before mid-September, if then, and re-opening the building will be gradual and phased. It is rumored that Gov. Abbott has quietly, informally signed off.

It doesn't look good for allowing full stadiums for football games in September.

I hope the June 20 Tulsa rally doesn't result in a bunch of infections. If it does, that could be a problem for football season and the whole economy.

giphy.gif

CASES!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Since we are testing more, cases are higher.

What really matters is hospitalizations and deaths

My cousin who is a nurse in Phoenix is saying the rise in cases there has a lot to do with illegals who got the virus in Mexico and are coming to Arizona for treatment

Also, I find it funny you are so concerned about infections from the Tulsa rally, but not concerned about all the gatherings for these BLM protests.

LVH

The way I see it is it's hard enough to find accountable people in the workforce. You start letting everyone "work" from home and running a business would be damn near impossible. That's just from my experience. We've got employees that just showing up is a major chore, if they were allowed to stay home you might as well fire them because they wouldn't get jack [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] done.

It's a double edged sword for me

On one hand, there are so many distractions working from home.

On the other hand, my job is very cyclical. There will be days I do nothing, and days where I spend the entire day working.

On days I did nothing, I would just sit in my office and watch TV or browse the web. If i had it my way, I would have just gone home.

It's nice to work from home on the days I have nothing to do, but I still feel guilty about it.

Wexahu

So 13 with symptoms and 10 without?

So 23 of the 120 or so have it right now? You'd have to assume some have already had it as well so that would probably mean anywhere from 20-30% of the team has or had it.

Seriously, what's the point in going through all these hoops to keep players safe? It's very most likely a futile exercise.