• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Mississippi State could offer enough to lure away TCU's Jim Schlossnagle

Pharm Frog

Vandy put out an article one of the years we were in Omaha with them about their avg SAT scores, grade point avgs and majors of the baseball team - they would largely be getting academic scholarships at TCU if it was true

I don't believe that is true. I remember seeing something like that and Daughter of Pharm had a much higher standardized test resume and graduated with valedictory status and was waitlisted at TCU.

Another question for those in the know (before I start calling some recent signee's parents to find out)... When a player signs his first minor league contract, under the College Scholarship Plan for MLB, does the team and player negotiate the potential scholarship limits or is it a fixed amount? And if it's a negotiation, do teams generally offer up as high as what TCU costs or cap it lower? Not that this would make a huge difference to kids who generally don't think about next week and definitely don't think that they will ever stop playing baseball...but still worth knowing.

Finally, if the recruiting is anywhere near the same between D2 and D1 with regards to "cost of attendance" for baseball players, I can personally testify to the spreadsheets that are shared by fairly unsophisticated and transient recruiters at the D2 level that make even modestly-priced private schools look like a very bad ROI for baseball players. Very bad.

flyfishingfrog

I believe his daughter will be a freshman at MSU?
By the way - I would not be surprised if none of Schloss kids go to MSU if he takes the job.

Remember he went to Elon and graduated with high honors.

Jim is wicked smart and I think he will want the best for his kids - I think his son is going to TCU because he has been here all his life that he can remember while they have zero connection to MSU.

Having your kid go to another school isn’t the greatest look but it’s not uncommon if Kathleen has another school she wants to attend for curriculum or other activities reasons.

flyfishingfrog

I don't believe that is true. I remember seeing something like that and Daughter of Pharm had a much higher standardized test resume and graduated with valedictory status and was waitlisted at TCU.

Another question for those in the know (before I start calling some recent signee's parents to find out)... When a player signs his first minor league contract, under the College Scholarship Plan for MLB, does the team and player negotiate the potential scholarship limits or is it a fixed amount? And if it's a negotiation, do teams generally offer up as high as what TCU costs or cap it lower? Not that this would make a huge difference to kids who generally don't think about next week and definitely don't think that they will ever stop playing baseball...but still worth knowing.

Finally, if the recruiting is anywhere near the same between D2 and D1 with regards to "cost of attendance" for baseball players, I can personally testify to the spreadsheets that are shared by fairly unsophisticated and transient recruiters at the D2 level that make even modestly-priced private schools look like a very bad ROI for baseball players. Very bad.
The guys I have talked to negotiated that the club would pay for them to return to TCU specifically because they had so few hours left that transferring would be lunacy.

But that tuition is taxable to them if they return which is a bit of a problem sometimes for a guy that spent 3-5 years making $875/month if they didn’t hold onto their signing bonus.

And once again - betting your daughter didn’t ask for early decision - if she had she would have easily gotten a scholarship if she was that highly ranked and tested but I am not getting into this again. We have guys on our squad now that receive academic scholarship money and they didn’t score as well as the numbers Vandy put out for several of their players.

Pharm Frog

By the way - I would not be surprised if none of Schloss kids go to MSU if he takes the job

Remember he went to Elon and graduated with high honors

Jim is wicked smart and I think he will want the best for his kids - I think his son is going to TCU because he has been here all his life that he can remember while hey have zero connection to MSU

Having your kid go to another school isn’t the greatest look but it’s not uncommon if Kathleen has another school she wants to attend for curriculum or other activities reasons

Agree. And I don't think its a bad look at all for a coach to have his kids at other colleges. There's a "go" part of going to college IMO and I don't think I'd really have wanted my kids to endure the added pressure of being at a school where I was the head coach (or dean or whatever).

Pharm Frog

The guys I have talked to negotiated that the club would pay for them to return to TCU specifically because they had so few hours left that transferring would be lunacy

But that tuition is taxable to them if they return which is a bit of a problem sometimes for a guy that spent 3-5 years making $875/month if they didn’t hold onto their signing bonus

The taxable part I knew about. Glad to hear that clubs are willing to ante up for continuing through at TCU when their career ends. Living expense stipend is also taxable I think.

flyfishingfrog

The taxable part I knew about. Glad to hear that clubs are willing to ante up for continuing through at TCU when their career ends. Living expense stipend is also taxable I think.
Boschini is also willing to work with the players to figure something out - he wants these guys to get a degree and it be from TCU as bad as anyone.

MTfrog5

The guys I have talked to negotiated that the club would pay for them to return to TCU specifically because they had so few hours left that transferring would be lunacy

But that tuition is taxable to them if they return which is a bit of a problem sometimes for a guy that spent 3-5 years making $875/month if they didn’t hold onto their signing bonus

And once again - betting your daughter didn’t ask for early decision - if she had she would have easily gotten a scholarship if she was that highly ranked and tested but I am not getting into this again. We have guys on our squad now that receive academic scholarship money and they didn’t score as well as the numbers Vandy put out for several of their players
I’m also not sure if every team has this, but I know a few teams at least will set a time limit on going back to finish your degree

Moose Stuff

Can't speak for Stanford but I can speak about Vanderbilt as my daughter applied to there fairly recently and I got to learn about their admission processes. One of the things I learned was that they have a case-by-case admission situation for student athletes. I expect this is true for virtually every program in America (with a few exceptions).

They get in the guys they want to get in with few exceptions.

flyfishingfrog

They get in the guys they want to get in with few exceptions.
The if that is true it would be no different than us giving academic scholarships to athletes at different rates and criteria than the average student population- in the end both admission standards and financial aid have some level of discretion so why are we not doing that and making the financial issue go away?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Maybe the pool is different now, but when my son was playing baseball kids who refined their skills in select league usually were affluent and went to high income area high schools. It was always a stark contrast from the kids that excelled in football. Sure, it can be a factor for some, but if you have the money, you're not sending your kid to Mississippi State! I guess if tuition was a factor, Mississippi State wouldn't be looking for a new coach.

From LeBreton (whose new sports page I recommend:

“Schlossnagle chose not to even interview at Texas when the Longhorns approached him about succeeding Augie Garrido. His feelings for TCU clearly run deep.

“I have shown my loyalty to TCU,” he said. “I’ll continue to show my loyalty to TCU until something else happens. Chancellor Boschini has been amazing, every athletic director I’ve had has been phenomenal, and there’s no reason to think anything is going to change.

“But I’m going to miss them if they call me.”

Over the years Schlossnagle has never been shy about giving his take on other college coaching jobs. He probably would have taken the Texas job, if it wouldn’t have meant being the first coach to follow Garrido. He would have taken the LSU job, a premier one, if athletic director Joe Alleva hadn’t stupidly given Paul Mainieri a contract extension through the 2024 season.

But Schlossnagle, despite five trips to Omaha, is also keenly aware of the limitations of coaching at a high-tuition private school like TCU.

How do you tell a highly regarded high school recruit to turn down a professional contract, and then ask his family to make up $20,000 or more in tuition to play baseball at TCU?

For the same reason, Schlossnagle would never consider coaching at, say, Vanderbilt. But a state-school with a rich baseball history, yearning for an Omaha winner so badly that it’s just committed $55 million to renovate its stadium? The fit is definitely there

Moose Stuff

The if that is true it would be no different than us giving academic scholarships to athletes at different rates and criteria than the average student population- in the end both admission standards and financial aid have some level of discretion so why are we not doing that and making the financial issue go away?

I don’t know the answer to that question but whatever it is it’s why we’re on the verge of losing our coach. I suppose we could all cross our fingers the the threat of losing him forces a change.