• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Gary Patterson: TCU’s QB battle ‘a lot closer than what you thought it was’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Gary Patterson: TCU’s QB battle ‘a lot closer than what you thought it was’

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

Shawn Robinson is the front-runner to start the season as TCU’s quarterback, but it isn’t a given. That much became clear during the school’s media day on Thursday.

TCU coach Gary Patterson and co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie are both open to giving projected backup Michael Collins a chance to win the job.

Robinson and Collins will split first-team reps as the first fall camp practice starts today.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article216043400.html

Dman890

Somebody tweeted about it, I guess...

Man y’all will find anything to complain about . It’s TCU’s media day (which was this week) not big 12. And it is new news on the fact that they are letting Collins split first team reps, that being AFTER they let Shawn rep the school at big 12 media days.

And even if it was old news, isn’t it nice to be getting consistent non-Mac articles in the paper???

FrogLifeYo

GP has already been on record as saying it takes 2 QBs to get through a season..He knows Collins has to get some first team reps so we don’t get caught sleeping from an SR injury.

FrogAbroad

GP has already been on record as saying it takes 2 QBs to get through a season..He knows Collins has to get some first team reps so we don’t get caught sleeping from an SR injury.
And in most situations it probably keeps the incumbent a bit more focused knowing "there IS someone who could replace you" if one takes incumbency for granted.

ThisIsOurTime

The truth is we don't know what we have at QB. We have a relatively inexperienced player in Shawn Robinson who will be using a relatively inexperienced line and he was already hurt once last year. It isn't a shocking thought to think it is possible it could happen again.

Even if there isn't an injury (and we are all hoping for this), you have to think about effectiveness and who knows which QB will be effective in each game especially considering young QBs can be up and down. Who is to say that they won't need to bring in another QB from time to time to provide a different spark. Frankly, I would also expect to see a greater return to the Wild Frog simply to provide another dimension to the offense and take a little more pressure off the QB. We have a number of veteran players who have played this position already and have others like Snell who could play this position.

FrogCop19

Man y’all will find anything to complain about . It’s TCU’s media day (which was this week) not big 12. And it is new news on the fact that they are letting Collins split first team reps, that being AFTER they let Shawn rep the school at big 12 media days.

And even if it was old news, isn’t it nice to be getting consistent non-Mac articles in the paper???
I guess you might have missed it, but someone made a comment about him only reporting on other people's tweets. I was just playing off that, bud. It's just a joke.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I can accept that it is closer than no doubt Robinson will be the starter. He is a beast.

Last edited:

Latest posts