• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Could TCU go with a QB rotation against the Sooners on Saturday?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Could TCU go with a QB rotation against the Sooners on Saturday?

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

TCU coach Gary Patterson made another subtle reminder of his desire to get backup quarterback Michael Collins more snaps early in games. He hasn’t wavered in that belief, saying starter Shawn Robinson would benefit from this sort of situation.

Patterson mentioned it again during his midweek news conference going into Saturday’s showdown against No. 9 Oklahoma.

It’s a fine line, Patterson acknowledged, between possibly shattering a young quarterback’s confidence with a perceived “benching” and the benefits of watching plays develop from the sidelines (as well as limiting the number of times Robinson would be exposed to hits).

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article220127600.html

Looking at this and trying to make sense of it, my opinion is that GP is grooming Cumbie to be a head coach (somewhere, possibly at TCU) and is giving him all the opportunity and responsibility of this decision. He’s testing Cumbie to see what he’s made of.

Just an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Looking at this and trying to make sense of it, my opinion is that GP is grooming Cumbie to be a head coach (somewhere, possibly at TCU) and is giving him all the opportunity and responsibility of this decision. He’s testing Cumbie to see what he’s made of.

No doubt he is grooming him to be a head coach.

FrogLifeYo

So your saying the GP “got to grow em up” thing pertains to coaches to?....If that’s the case we are going to have a whole lot of 6-7 win seasons..

Eight

GP is about to take hold of the offensive steering wheel if things don't change this weekend.

what gives you any indication gary is about to do anything on the offensive side of the ball?

his post game comments? his mid-week press conference comments?

he has been on the same press conference loop for a month and what change has been made in the offense?

people keep talking about how dalton was handled and can't seem to wrap their head around this is a different day.

unfortunately the past four weeks that new day is groundhog day and that damn ground hog drives the truck off the cliff each week, but it is the same day.

why the same? the only people with that answer don't talk to the press and each week gary makes these comments raise questions why he says what he says and nothing changes

Last edited:

Eight

Collins should have played in every game this year with his full playbook. Hell, the guy hasn’t been allowed to even attempt a pass to my recollection. What if he really has to come in and play?

you might want to cut back on the drinking while watching the games if you can't even remember if collins has been allowed to attempt a pass

Eight

I think he also makes sure to throw out these comments each week because he likes to make the other team think that they might see both QBs.

which is great in coaching theory on the internet and maybe gary says these things because gary would then go find every piece of tape on the potential player that he could find, but...............................

as a person i know that in every aspect of life if you continue to say something and nothing every changes you just become white noise.

CountryFrog

which is great in coaching theory on the internet and maybe gary says these things because gary would then go find every piece of tape on the potential player that he could find, but...............................

as a person i know that in every aspect of life if you continue to say something and nothing every changes you just become white noise.
I agree and I don't necessarily think it has much impact on the opponent myself, especially since there really isn't much film to study of Collins anyway. It just seems like GP gets a kick out of doing that and probably for the reasons you mentioned above.

As far as the white noise, all that really matters is what he says to the team and we don't have access to those conversations. I've never believed that much of anything GP says publicly aligns with what he says in meetings and practices. So I won't judge him on saying things over and over in the media and then not doing those things.