• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Could TCU go with a QB rotation against the Sooners on Saturday?

FrogLifeYo

I find that strory GP told about Dalton interesting given that we’ve already seen 3 games that resulted in losses due to carelessness from the QB. I think it’s important to remember that those Offensive schemes Dalton was playing in were very run heavy and run first sets. That offense itself wasn’t very risky like our current spread read scheme.

Moose Stuff

which is great in coaching theory on the internet and maybe gary says these things because gary would then go find every piece of tape on the potential player that he could find, but...............................

as a person i know that in every aspect of life if you continue to say something and nothing every changes you just become white noise.

And when you’re 3-3 and playing like [ Finebaum ] it just makes you look like a clown. I don’t want mind games, I want wins.

CountryFrog

Can you imagine a coach like Saban saying stuff like that?
There's quite a bit of similarity between a GP press conference and a Saban press conference actually. Only real difference is that Saban is more often openly hostile towards the media whereas GP is usually a little more passive aggressive with his hostility and goes on more tangents.

So your saying the GP “got to grow em up” thing pertains to coaches to?....If that’s the case we are going to have a whole lot of 6-7 win seasons..
What about GP’s history gives you any indication we’re going to have a whole lot of 6-7 win seasons?

But yes, asst. coaches “grow up,” too. If they don’t, they usually find themselves unemployed.

There is no history of this happening EVER...How in the world could you think this could happen. GP has said he hires guys he trust because he has zero interest in offense
Please provide the quote where GP said something even remotely close to having zero interest in offense.

Personally, I think his stamp on this offense is what is causing the confusion. He wants Cumbie to run the air raid, but GP wants to run the ball more, control the clock and be more physical. The Leach air raid is everything but that...

Eight

Can you imagine a coach like Saban saying stuff like that?

saban at this point can say and do whatever he wants at his press confereces.

seriously nick could come out in a klan outfit flanked by his oc carrying a confederate flag and his dc carrying a burning cross and kids would still be lining up to play at bama because they have bought into the idea that their best pathway to the nfl is through bama and if they go to bama they will end up in the nfl

FrogLifeYo

What about GP’s history gives you any indication we’re going to have a whole lot of 6-7 win seasons?

But yes, asst. coaches “grow up,” too. If they don’t, they usually find themselves unemployed.

Please provide the quote where GP said something even remotely close to having zero interest in offense.

Personally, I think his stamp on this offense is what is causing the confusion. He wants Cumbie to run the air raid, but GP wants to run the ball more, control the clock and be more physical. The Leach air raid is everything but that...
Two things...growing an assistant up and growing a coordinator up are completely unrelated. Why in the hell would you want to grow up a coordinator? Now a guy being grown toward being head coach is a whole different animal. Big time college football is not the place you hire guys to figure out if they’ll make good head coaches. OU got away with it in Riley but the guy had 10 years of high level success as an OC and was acknowledged as one of the brightest young minds in the game before getting the job.

As to your second point. GP has acknowledged many times that he purposely doesn’t get involved with the offense unless there are problems or personnel decisions.

Eight

5 in 17 years. We’ll see how this one plays out.

unfortunately the 12 years prior were at a different level of competition whether people want to accept that or not.

doesn't mean frogs didn't win some big games, hell they won a number of them, but up until 2012 we had as deep a pockets as anyone in our conferences and were tapped into the most fertile recruiting grounds.

the frogs don't have those advantages any more.

dawg

Collins should have played in every game this year with his full playbook. Hell, the guy hasn’t been allowed to even attempt a pass to my recollection. What if he really has to come in and play?

Collins has actually attempted 14 passes this season, completing six and one TD (3-5 for 71 yards and a TD vs Southern, and 3-9 for 34 yards vs Texas).

Count me as one who thinks SR will be very good/great before he leaves TCU, but also put me in the column that says MC should play if QB1 continues turning the ball over.

TX_Krötenechse

Same [ Finebaum ], different week. The fact is, Collins isn’t good enough to see the field. I don’t care what the coaches said, I don’t care what the scouting reports said, I don’t care about his HS film. If he were half as good as Shawn, he would have gotten significant minutes just to see if he could stop the turnover train.

At this point in the season, probably the best thing would be to keep Shawn in and let him get through as best he can, earning experience for next season. If Collins legitimately gave us a better shot at bowl eligibility, then I think he would already be playing.

Wexahu

I don't pay much attention at all to GP press conferences. One, because he's not very good at them and some of the comments make me almost cringe and two, I don't really care what he says, all that matters is how they play on Saturday. Or Thursday or whenever the game may be.

The ultra-secretive nature in which injuries, etc are handled is kind of ridiculous (and totally unnecessary IMO) at times but oh well, just play well.

Two things...growing an assistant up and growing a coordinator up are completely unrelated. Why in the hell would you want to grow up a coordinator? Now a guy being grown toward being head coach is a whole different animal. Big time college football is not the place you hire guys to figure out if they’ll make good head coaches. OU got away with it in Riley but the guy had 10 years of high level success as an OC and was acknowledged as one of the brightest young minds in the game before getting the job.

As to your second point. GP has acknowledged many times that he purposely doesn’t get involved with the offense unless there are problems or personnel decisions.
Maybe part of keeping Cumbie here was a greater level of autonomy than he might have had at UT?

I stand by my statement...if a head coach isn’t developing his coordinators or assistants, they are all going to be in the unemployment line sooner than later.

As far as staying out of the offense, you previously said he had “zero” interest. I still want to see an actual quote where he has said he has “zero” interest.

texas_sicilian

I’m interested in Gary’s cryptic quote that they “discussed a lot of new ideas” this past week (pertaining to offense).

Would love to have been a fly on a wall for those conversations...

FrogLifeYo

Maybe part of keeping Cumbie here was a greater level of autonomy than he might have had at UT?

I stand by my statement...if a head coach isn’t developing his coordinators or assistants, they are all going to be in the unemployment line sooner than later.

As far as staying out of the offense, you previously said he had “zero” interest. I still want to see an actual quote where he has said he has “zero” interest.

When a head coach hires a Coordinator he is hiring that persons scheme, philosophy, and recruiting prowess. They are one in the same. In separable by nature. If it’s not working and the Head Coach has to step in to “fix” it then he made a bad hire. It’s really that simple. If GP hires an air raid guy to run clock controlling run heavy offense, then he made a poor hire. Coordinator is not a grad assistants job. It’s not a training program.

Does he need to develop him as a leader and make him more well-rounded..Sure. Absolutely have to build all assistants acumen..

You are right...” zero interest “ is hyperbole on my part but there is simply no evidence that GP has ever fixed anything offensively outside of making a new hire. Even that hasn’t happened very often. Is he contributing to the issue by asking Cumbie to be something he isn’t? Perhaps, but to me that’s an indication of buyers remorse on his part.

netty2424

Collins should have played in every game this year with his full playbook. Hell, the guy hasn’t been allowed to even attempt a pass to my recollection. What if he really has to come in and play?
Not knocking MC because seems like a good kid and seems to be a competitor but he skipped a couple off the ground against SMU I believe. They weren’t even close.

texas_sicilian

Not knocking MC because seems like a good kid and seems to be a competitor but he skipped a couple off the ground against SMU I believe. They weren’t even close.
Weren’t those two of his first passes in the series of his first real game time, ever? Recall he began to settle in after the fact...

Certainly can make an argument that SR has been given a LOT more leeway to make worse mistakes than that.

Last edited: