• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big 12’s Bowlsby: TCU has been wonderful addition; ‘bullish’ on future of conference

TX_Krötenechse

UT won’t go to the SEC. They’re not going to follow Aggie. OU could bolt for the SEC, but only if OSU goes too, I think. And who knows how closely tied UT and Tech actually are, or UT and OU.

I don’t see any value to UT or OU going to another conference for *maybe* a small increase in revenue but a much worse fan experience and much less influence in the conference.

My big concern is that when the Longhorn Network contract expires, Texas will decide it needs to replace that revenue. Even if it means bolting the Big 12 to do so. Hopefully CDC will be a calming force. However, if the Big 10 came calling for UT and OU and their respective states allowed them to leave without their step children Tech and OSU, we would be scrambling again. It's still 5 years off (I think?), but TCU needs to keep improving our brand, garnering big TV viewing audiences in anticipation of something like that and playing nice with other conferences.

Agree. Watching TCU's band way up in the nose bleeds of the Longhorn stadium. That little jester by CDC reminds me he doesn't care to be a calming force, no, he follows the money for whom he works for. CDC is all about the money so if he can get UT more money by breaking up the Big 12 and moving UT to the ACC/Pac12/Big 10 he'll do it in a second. And he would do it not thinking one second about the well being of TCU's future. He would destroy everything he has built at TCU for the glory of today. He left TCU because of the power and the possibility of him being the most known AD in the history of ADs. Nothing more powerful than being able to orchestrate a move to a new super conference in which Texas, no CDC, brought back the Longhorns to be the most valuable team over Texas A&M and everyone else again and forever.

I think that happens with CDC bringing UT to the Big 10. We will see, but TCU should prepare itself by making friends/boosters in the other power conferences.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I’m pretty sure the Big 10 isn’t adding 4 more members. And in the odd chance that they do there is no way in hell Texas Tech is gonna be one of them.

Maybe you should work on reading comprehension. In my post, my concern is that two teams - UT and OU join the BiG 10 WITHOUT dragging along Tech and OSU, both of which are certainly not going to be invited.

Probably won't happen because the BiG 10 likes adding weak teams like Rutgers and Maryland.

HG73

How much longer does the longhorn network contract run? That's when they will move. Nobody will take them until the lhn expires.

MAcFroggy

The big 12 distributed 36.5M per school last year. With the $40M Sugar Bowl distribution this year as well as the annual escalator for the TV contract, each school will easily receive more the $40M in revenue this coming year. The big 12 is in a much stronger position than some in the media let on.

The new Big 10 contract is pretty absurd, but with the LHN and SoonerSports contracts I think UT and OU are doing fine. As much as it sucks that OU and UT have outsize influence on the conference, if they were to leave the Big 12 I think TCU and some of the other schools could be very negatively impacted. IMO Keeping OU and UT in the big 12 during the next round of realignment and TV contracts, is very important the the future of TCU athletics.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...enue-increases-for-12th-year-in-row/35586353/

Big Frog II

As weak as the Pac-12 is currently, I feel we have a decent chance of bringing two of their schools on board. Their TV payout is falling behind, and the Pac-12 network has been a disaster.

LSU Game Attendee

no they won't, but have you ever been around someone who is certain their problems are the fault of others and they will blow up a perfectly good situation regardless to prove their point?
I think you have captured the primary departure driver behind Nebraska, A&M, Mizzou, and CU.

Conference affiliation becomes a nice red herring when ADs go on the hot seat due to their programs not living up to expectations.

Every conference needs and will have two doormats. Having two divisions and not playing best team against best team gives more teams high rankings and better championship game. We need 12 teams!

Texas won’t go anywhere unless they get to have their own channel. Sec big 10 have conference networks. Texas has to get more than other teams!

westoverhillbilly

In former UT Chancellor Bill Cunningham's book, he said that the SEC invited Arkansas in 1991 only because they believed that doing so would force UT to come along and that they really didn't want Arkansas in his opinion but could live with them if it brought UT.. The SEC officials believed this because UT was ready to move but found out they had a Tech (and Baylor) problem with Ann Richards (Baylor) and John Montford (Tech) in state government and politics trumped all else..

Conference shuffles take strange turns and not always rational ones at that.. I'm so glad the B12 didn't panic and take UH (can't hold a coach) and Cincy (another commuter school).. Adding UH added to the demise of the SWC and will/would do the same to the B12- it would add another mouth to feed (regarding revenue and recruiting) in what is the rawest zero sum game I've seen- i.e. if a program improves, it means a close competitor is declining..

Eight

He didn’t mean to help out the exposure for the University of Texas, he meant to help out their own exposure for recruiting in the state of Texas

understand that and Nebraska after the way things went with the formation of the big 12 will do anything that will involve Texas on top of the academic rep of the big 12

TX_Krötenechse

Another thing to consider: my understanding is that football viewership in general is declining, meaning that there is a significant chance that the next round of TV contacts won’t be as lucrative as the ones we have today (given the failure of the PAC-12 network and the LHN). The B12 might have a strong enough brand to support a conference network or it may not, but UT is not going to be able to re-up the LHN no matter where they go.

LSU Game Attendee

In former UT Chancellor Bill Cunningham's book, he said that the SEC invited Arkansas in 1991 only because they believed that doing so would force UT to come along and that they really didn't want Arkansas in his opinion but could live with them if it brought UT.. The SEC officials believed this because UT was ready to move but found out they had a Tech (and Baylor) problem with Ann Richards (Baylor) and John Montford (Tech) in state government and politics trumped all else..

Conference shuffles take strange turns and not always rational ones at that.. I'm so glad the B12 didn't panic and take UH (can't hold a coach) and Cincy (another commuter school).. Adding UH added to the demise of the SWC and will/would do the same to the B12- it would add another mouth to feed (regarding revenue and recruiting) in what is the rawest zero sum game I've seen- i.e. if a program improves, it means a close competitor is declining..
I did want to see UH come in to replace Baylor. Then UH brought in Briles Jr.

froginaustin

Regarding seating at DKR-Memorial, of course visitors get the crappiest seats in the house. Every visitor. Check out the stands in I televised secsec game in a giant stadium. Particularly A’nM. Del Conte has nothing to do with where a visiting band sits, except for making sure visitors including bands sit in paid-for seats.
TCU is toothless retaliation-wise. No seats anywhere near as bad as the worst seats in a mega-stadium.