• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big 12’s Bowlsby: TCU has been wonderful addition; ‘bullish’ on future of conference

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Big 12’s Bowlsby: TCU has been wonderful addition; ‘bullish’ on future of conference

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

DALLAS – TCU may not have an alumni base the size of Texas or Oklahoma. Amon G. Carter Stadium may not be a 100,000-seat football mecca.

But the Frogs have been a welcomed addition to the Big 12 since joining the league in 2012.

“TCU has been terrific,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. “They’ve been a wonderful addition to the league.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article218898550.html

Zubaz

I can't think of another conference addition that has been as successful as TCU has been, at least in terms of the highs. We've had an adjustment period and some stinker years, but is there another 2012 alignment-era team that has had three Top 10 seasons and borderline NC-discussion teams? Louisville has that Heisman winner, but Petrino hasn't gotten them to ten wins. Utah's had some success but usually falls apart towards the end of the season. WVU has been consistently good but never great (until maybe this year?). Maryland and Rutgers have been mostly embarassing, Nebraska has had three different head coaches since 2013. Mizzou won a bad SEC East a few times but never won big, A&M has had their annual rollercoaster. Am I forgetting anyone?

Wexahu

WVU has been consistently good

No, they haven't. They've been consistently very average. Going into this year they were 27-27 in the Big 12 and 43-34 overall and one season with more than 8 wins. That's about as average as it gets. They have the 7th best record in the conference since they joined.

Big Frog II

I believe the conference is more stable now than at any other point in its history. The malcontents are gone, and in reality each school brings value. Well, maybe with the exception of one. The Pac-12 is not doing well at all, which is surprising. The ACC has way too much dead weight. The Big 10 has its own problems. Finally the SEC does well, but way too many teams exceed the salary cap.

Nail down a new TV contract in a few years, and we're good to go.

Wexahu

I believe the conference is more stable now than at any other point in its history. The malcontents are gone, and in reality each school brings value. Well, maybe with the exception of one. The Pac-12 is not doing well at all, which is surprising. The ACC has way too much dead weight. The Big 10 has its own problems. Finally the SEC does well, but way too many teams exceed the salary cap.

Nail down a new TV contract in a few years, and we're good to go.

The Big 12 is as stable as it wants to be. I agree about the ACC, they'd be much better off without BC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. That's 3 programs that don't add much of anything other than maybe a few TV eyeballs for the latter two. And the Pac 12's biggest problem is a huge % of the demographic on the west coast doesn't care that much about college sports.....and OSU and WSU add absolutely nothing.

Eight

The Big 12 is as stable as it wants to be. I agree about the ACC, they'd be much better off without BC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. That's 3 programs that don't add much of anything other than maybe a few TV eyeballs for the latter two. And the Pac 12's biggest problem is a huge % of the demographic on the west coast doesn't care that much about college sports.....and OSU and WSU add absolutely nothing.

syracuse brings new york and more specifically nyc especially during basketball season

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
My big concern is that when the Longhorn Network contract expires, Texas will decide it needs to replace that revenue. Even if it means bolting the Big 12 to do so. Hopefully CDC will be a calming force. However, if the Big 10 came calling for UT and OU and their respective states allowed them to leave without their step children Tech and OSU, we would be scrambling again. It's still 5 years off (I think?), but TCU needs to keep improving our brand, garnering big TV viewing audiences in anticipation of something like that and playing nice with other conferences.

BABYFACE

My big concern is that when the Longhorn Network contract expires, Texas will decide it needs to replace that revenue. Even if it means bolting the Big 12 to do so. Hopefully CDC will be a calming force. However, if the Big 10 came calling for UT and OU and their respective states allowed them to leave without their step children Tech and OSU, we would be scrambling again. It's still 5 years off (I think?), but TCU needs to keep improving our brand, garnering big TV viewing audiences in anticipation of something like that and playing nice with other conferences.

Let me put this to rest. Only the SEC and Big 10 are higher on conference TV payouts and it isn’t by much. PAC 12 and ACC are substantially behind the Big 12 in TV money.

UT isn’t going to the SEC. Big 10 is full(too many teams). PAC 12 has room but is way behind on TV money. Thus, I don’t see UT or the Big 12 going anywhere.

West Coast Johnny

I think the world is coming around to the fact that the Big 12 is a great conference. Our strength is in numbers an the smaller the better. Thank goodness we aren't like the Big 10 where we have a ridiculous geographic area where Nebraska has to play Rutgers in Piscataway. Our basketball team plays every conference opponent home and home every year. We should be opened minded to expansion but only add quality and not take any of the usual "available" teams.

Eight

the only entity that truly needs to believe in the big 12 is texas and there is a thought in austin is that texas will never become the program it can be while it is tied to big 12.

i wouldn't trust anyone in austin and that includes cdc to do tcu any favors if and when texas looks to find a home outside the big 12.

Moose Stuff

I’m pretty sure the Big 10 isn’t adding 4 more members. And in the odd chance that they do there is no way in hell Texas Tech is gonna be one of them.

Big Frog II

the only entity that truly needs to believe in the big 12 is texas and there is a thought in austin is that texas will never become the program it can be while it is tied to big 12.

i wouldn't trust anyone in austin and that includes cdc to do tcu any favors if and when texas looks to find a home outside the big 12.
Well, they were not going to be happy anywhere as long as they kept losing. Using your conference as an excuse is ridiculous. It hasn’t slowed down Oklahoma.

Eight

Well, they were not going to be happy anywhere as long as they kept losing. Using your conference as an excuse is ridiculous. It hasn’t slowed down Oklahoma.

no they won't, but have you ever been around someone who is certain there problems are the fault of others and they will blow up a perfectly good situation regardless to prove their point?

in all honesty they were as guilty as anyone for the issues in the swc, were looking for a way into the pac and would have gone had not they been forced by the legislature into the arranged marriage that is the big 12, and whose us first attitude paved the way for nebraska leaving for the big 10 and atm to the sec

they are convinced they will be better off in a conference comprised of schools of similar size, academic ilk, and a bigger television market.

instead of working to strengthen the big 12 they are looking out for texas once again, but the difference is there are not many great options. they aren't going to the sec, i can't see the jump to the big 10, and they have no clue the issues being in a conference two time zones away in the pac.