• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Before BYU joins Big 12, league must give school a reality check on its racism problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharm Frog

The unproven allegations are enough to crucify BYU?

There is zero evidence of a slur being said. Not a single witness, besides Ms. Richardson, has come forth. Not a single cell phone video or BYUtv's several camera angles caught a single thing.
How unlikely when this person supposedly said a slur during ‘every single serve.”?
In fairness it’s become increasingly difficult to determine what is a racial slur. It’s not the word or phrase meaning as much as it is whether the offender believes it is. That said….I do not feel volleyball is a sport that benefits from fans yelling anything at athletes back to serve. It’s not as sacrosanct as a golf swing but just seems stupid.

Moose Stuff

In fairness it’s become increasingly difficult to determine what is a racial slur. It’s not the word or phrase meaning as much as it is whether the offender believes it is. That said….I do not feel volleyball is a sport that benefits from fans yelling anything at athletes back to serve. It’s not as sacrosanct as a golf swing but just seems stupid.
With the exception of truly good natured heckling (if it’s actually funny) yelling at an athlete from the stands in general is stupid. I know I’m in the minority here and I don’t really care. If you wouldn’t say it to their face, don’t yell it from the stands. And it’s especially pathetic when it’s a grown man yelling at a college kid. I assume anyone who does this is an ignorant POS.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
so it was the coaches fault for recruiting a minority athlete?
Seriously? The Coach has a track record of accusations, social media posts, and other items that point toward a predilection for fomenting racial animus. You can look that up for yourself, provided you can somehow lift your consciousness out of the MSNBC sewer for a moment and look at something other than disinformation and garbage...

East Coast

Tier 1
Seriously? The Coach has a track record of accusations, social media posts, and other items that point toward a predilection for fomenting racial animus. You can look that up for yourself, provided you can somehow lift your consciousness out of the MSNBC sewer for a moment and look at something other than disinformation and garbage...
Depends upon how you look at it. She has been aggressive in the race relations arena. To some that makes her a hero, to others a rabble rouser. IMO she damages the times she makes good points by being over the top other times.

denverfrog

I think we need to stop using this accusation so flippantly. There is ZERO proof this even happened beyond the one player. Even less that this was allowed, encouraged or condoned by the university even if it did happen sounds like just the opposite, the university did place security to try and find this alleged person without any results. To write anything like this is in the realm of fact is irresponsible and pathetic at best. To say that fans, security, other players, etc would have sat by without doing anything is beyond logical. Hundreds of students at this event, all with cell phones and not one single audio or video? Not one student saying "yeah, I heard it" and plenty of students saying they heard nothing.

smufrogger

This story never really passed the smell test. I have a real hard time imagining someone repeatedly yelling the N word at someone in a public setting and not getting scolded by those around him, turned in and kicked out immediately.
Less plausible than the smullet story- or the nascar noose.

vicarfrog

You are correct and the fan has been exonerated. What you have here is a Duke team that got beat.

BYU officials and police scanned the BYU videos several days and they have a better network than UT and created the model for other shools media. They have quit looking because they can't find any rascist call outs anywhere in the stadium. While BYU should have been celebrating a hard won victory over a higher ranked team this Duke player has been enjoying her 15 minutes of fame. The fan has been exonerated.

Leave it to Steaming Pile to convict a school before the actual facts are out. This young lady has soaked up the attention. I can't speak to other accusations of racism years ago but this one has been proven to not be true. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/black-volleyball-player-went-viral-after-claiming-fan-pelted-her-with-racial-slurs-–-but-surveillance-video-shows-otherwise-report/ar-AA11jKHP

But you won't hear this from the media or fact checkers, "We were wrong." And now this poor fan is vindicated but a ton of people still think he/she is guilty.

NorTexCoug

This story never really passed the smell test. I have a real hard time imagining someone repeatedly yelling the N word at someone in a public setting and not getting scolded by those around him, turned in and kicked out immediately.
I've nearly been kicked out of LaVell Edwards Stadium a few times because I was using regular profanity, racial slurs would have drawn even more attention and calls for security to remove the offender.

Status
Not open for further replies.