• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Backups are pushing TCU linebackers for playing time

talor

GP says some interesting stuff but this is borderline dumb. No disrespect to Kenny Cain but unless Tank Carder gets hurt or quits there is a 100% chance he's on the field for the first defensive snap the year.

We all know GP takes jabs at his players to give them added motivation.

Is Dunbar still working with the first team at left tackle?

And how does that seem to be progressing? Obviously,

there is a great need to develop some stability there in

order to protect Pachall's blind side.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Patterson said his biggest concern is whether his team is hungry and motivated. Sure he feels he is sending a message to the team overall by saying if Tank's starting position safe, aint no one's safe.

davejerg1221

If Tank needs motivating we're in deep trouble. I'm certain he doesn't.

Not necessarily saying this is the case with Tank, but after an off-season of reading press clippings about "1st team American", "Rose Bowl MVP" "Butkus Award Finalist", and making arguably the single biggest play in TCU history...maybe you come into camp on a bit of a high horse. Never hurts to re-light a fire under there. Even if isn't remotely true (Cain outplaying him), I like the mind games GP is playing.

TronCarter

I would prefer it if Boykin redshirted. Regardless, out of Boykin, Brown, and Matthews (next year) there is going to be some serious talent that isn't starting for several years.

jake102

QB theoretical time table... first person is my guess for starter. I've got Boykin not red-shirting, Matthews red-shirting:

2011 - Pachall (Sophomore)
Brown (Freshman)
Boykin (Redshirt of Freshman)

2012 - Pachall (Junior)
Brown (Sophomore)
Boykin (Sophomore or freshman)
Matthews (Fresman or Redshirt)

2013 - Pachall (Senior)
Brown (Junior)
Boykin (Junior or sophomore)
Matthews (Sophomore or freshman)

2014 - Boykin (Senior or Junior)
Brown (Senior)
Matthews (Junior or Sophomore)

tcujsauce

Jeff Olson is one for sure. The other is still up for grabs, but it looks like it will be Robert Deck, James Dunbar, or maybe Ty Horn? It's possible I'm forgetting a candidate

I'd feel better about Deck if he could somehow miraculously get into the 300 club at some point in the season. I know he's a freaking beast, but 276 is light.

Limp Lizard

[font="arial][size="3"]
"The bottom line is, I called a coverage [the cornerback] wasn't supposed to play if they were in an empty [set] and he did. I did it on purpose. He's a new corner, and he better learn how to do it right; it's a learning experience."
[/size]A quick glimpse into why GP turns out a good defense year after year. The players have to know the defense, and are constantly tested on their knowledge. I have always felt that in college ball, more yardage is given up in the passing game by blown coverage, not by just being beaten by the receiver.[/font]

Limp Lizard

just go to the 3-3-5
D-Line might be a little spotty, so put those 3 studs LB's on the field and get after it
Is it 2005 again? "Gary's 4-2-5 has been exposed, need to go to the 3-3-5 like they play at New Mexico. Now there is a great coach!"
rolleyes.gif

tcumaniac

GP says some interesting stuff but this is borderline dumb. No disrespect to Kenny Cain but unless Tank Carder gets hurt or quits there is a 100% chance he's on the field for the first defensive snap the year.

And you're borderline mentally challenged... and the word "borderline" is probably too gernerous.... Coach P makes it very obvious that it doesn't matter what your name is or what you've done in the past.... this is a new season, and nothing from the past matters. I completely agree withGP putting a little pressure on Tank to be that much better. Even someone with the work ethic of Tank can start to feel a little entitled at times. I LOVE what GP said. Putt a little fire under Tanks [Craig James], and motivate him to be even better.

illini_frog

FWIW, watch 87 (Deck) on this play.

Now, Pachall may have gone outside when he wasn't supposed to, or something else may have gone wrong. And 1 play is far from representative of a guy's ability. But....I just wanted to provide this so guys could see Deck.