• The KillerFrogs

FWST: An elite eight in college football? The case for and against expanding the playoffs.

stbrab

The reality every non-expansion supporter ignores is that for every sport - making that playoffs because another benchmark of success and the more teams that make the playoff- the more teams that are deemed to be successful that year, which is good for college sports.

In basketball, the benchmark for a good season is making the tournament

in baseball, it is making the CWS

same thing in professional sports really - did you make the post season is the first measurement of a good season

winning the NC is a great achievement - but only one school does it

so if we have an 8 team playoff, not only will more schools each year feel they reached at least 1 goal for the year but more will feel they have a shot at achieving that goal
Not only that, but 8 teams actually get an opportunity, on the field, to compete for the NC. Right now it's an invitational and only 3% get invited.

Wexahu

Not only that, but 8 teams actually get an opportunity, on the field, to compete for the NC. Right now it's an invitational and only 3% get invited.

This year had there been an 8-team playoff the 5-8 teams would have been Georgia, Oregon, Baylor, and Memphis. Maybe Wisconsin if they didn't have an auto G5 team.

Georgia got blown out by LSU in the SEC CG.
Baylor got beat by Oklahoma in the Big 12 CG.
Wisconsin got beat by Ohio State in the Big 10 CG.

That would be a common theme, teams 5-8 will be teams who had just lost to a Top 4 team. Why the hell do we need to see them play again? People are hyper-focused on the outcome of 2014 and not recognizing how rare that was, having six 1-loss or undefeated teams. And with the Big 12 now having a CG, that kind of outcome is almost an impossibility now.

Every team does have an opportunity so why do people keep saying they don't? Just win games. Even Baylor had every opportunity to be a playoff team. Just beat Oklahoma.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Let's just be honest and talk about the real reason that certain people (and I'm not NECESSARILY saying us people here) do not back expansion.

It is protecting the name brands. 8 allows the hoi polloi to have an actual shot. That could lead to a spreading around of power. They don't want the power center to move. They want it in its predictable little bubble. Just like once Disney figured out the billion dollar formula they won't change a scheissing thing in how they do their movies. Not even subject matter.

I don't see how people that aren't Bama or OSU fans would not want an expanded field. Outside of those fanbases, those schools are probably majority hated I would imagine. Who wouldn't want to see 8 seed UCF beat Bama sometime? I can answer that question. The blue blood protectors. That's who.

Wexahu

Let's just be honest and talk about the real reason that certain people (and I'm not NECESSARILY saying us people here) do not back expansion.

It is protecting the name brands. 8 allows the hoi polloi to have an actual shot. That could lead to a spreading around of power. They don't want the power center to move. They want it in its predictable little bubble. Just like once Disney figured out the billion dollar formula they won't change a scheissing thing in how they do their movies. Not even subject matter.

I don't see how people that aren't Bama or OSU fans would not want an expanded field. Outside of those fanbases, those schools are probably majority hated I would imagine. Who wouldn't want to see 8 seed UCF beat Bama sometime? I can answer that question. The blue blood protectors. That's who.

The impact of going to an 8-man playoff will have the opposite effect IMO. Those 8 teams are most of the time going to consist of four more "blue-bloods" (or a token G5 that will get their ass kicked every year by the #1 team), the bowl games that 90% of the rest of the country play in will be even further marginalized (remember when the Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal?), and it's not going to work out like everyone hoped/thought. Bama and Ohio State fans would LOVE an 8-team playoff. Ohio State has made 3 out of 6 CFPs. Had there been 8 teams they'd be 6 for 6.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The impact of going to an 8-man playoff will have the opposite effect IMO. Those 8 teams are most of the time going to consist of four more "blue-bloods" (or a token G5 that will get their ass kicked every year by the #1 team), the bowl games that 90% of the rest of the country play in will be even further marginalized (remember when the Rose Bowl was a pretty big deal?), and it's not going to work out like everyone hoped/thought. Bama and Ohio State fans would LOVE an 8-team playoff. Ohio State has made 3 out of 6 CFPs. Had there been 8 teams they'd be 6 for 6.
And maybe blue bloods would represent many of the newly included teams. But what may also be represented is the occasional Tech, Baylor, TCU, Utah, Stanford, Minnesota, BC, NCSU or many other programs that, while often very good programs, are not blue bloods and have a difficult time coming from lower in the rankings without a mulligan like the BBs get.

TCU and teams like it have a hard sell if they are telling kids they can play for a NC consistently under the current format. Technically we can - anyone can. but it's not easy. We can't really do so with one loss most years. We become second choice to one loss SEC teams etc. But if all you have to do is make a top 8 to have a shot, there's a lot easier sale. The REALISTIC shot at playing for a championship HAS to make a difference in recruiting a certain level of player. Could make all the difference for a kid who believes his contributions can take TCU into the top 8.

Right now, at the beginning of any given year, we know what a lot of the top 10 is going to look like. And we know the fanbases that will legitimately believe they don't need to catch lightning in a bottle to make the playoffs. They know that they probably have a "loss to give" if everything else goes right. They are teams like Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, ND, Clemson, OSU, and perhaps a few second tiers like Wisky or FSU or Oregon/UW. Every other fanbase realizes they have no leeway, it must be perfect. No second chances, no mulligans. You know who else knows that? The recruits. So the current system creates a feedback loop that is self-perpetuating. We all know it. We all see it.

But if it changed... our Frogs have finished top 8 at least 3 times that I can think of in the past 20 years. It would not be unrealistic at all to tell a recruit we have a shot in a field of 8.

And here's the best part for the blue bloods - its neutral. You're right. Going to 8 won't mean TCU or anyone like them will be more equipped to beat the Bamas consistently. So they probably still win as many championships. So what's the drawback? I don't see one. One extra game? We used to play 11 and no CCGs. We can go back to an 11 game schedule. Or is the problem really that the current powers like to horde, like to play keep away with talent, even if it's not in the best interests of the kid and his playing time? If THAT'S the issue, then of course they wouldn't want 8.

flyfishingfrog

This year had there been an 8-team playoff the 5-8 teams would have been Georgia, Oregon, Baylor, and Memphis. Maybe Wisconsin if they didn't have an auto G5 team.

Georgia got blown out by LSU in the SEC CG.
Baylor got beat by Oklahoma in the Big 12 CG.
Wisconsin got beat by Ohio State in the Big 10 CG.

That would be a common theme, teams 5-8 will be teams who had just lost to a Top 4 team. Why the hell do we need to see them play again? People are hyper-focused on the outcome of 2014 and not recognizing how rare that was, having six 1-loss or undefeated teams. And with the Big 12 now having a CG, that kind of outcome is almost an impossibility now.

Every team does have an opportunity so why do people keep saying they don't? Just win games. Even Baylor had every opportunity to be a playoff team. Just beat Oklahoma.
So again- your view has been proven incorrect in every other sport - pro or college - but keep backing the idea that less is better

Froggish

You expand to eight for the sake of more
football and that’s about it. The same top 3 teams will still advance in 9 out of 10 years and one of them will win the title. Let’s all be honest, we just want expansion because we all want to see TCU have a possibility to get in and play on the big stage. We would still be a massive underdog every time.

Wexahu

football and that’s about it. The same top 3 teams will still advance in 9 out of 10 years and one of them will win the title. Let’s all be honest, we just want expansion because we all want to see TCU have a possibility to get in and play on the big stage. We would still be a massive underdog every time.

And a lot of teams that otherwise wouldn’t are going to end their seasons in disappointment. And It’s going to be in embarrassing fashion quite often. They have a hard enough time finding 4 teams that are truly competitive in a playoff type game when every team is highly motivated. We’ll probably not win a national title under the current system. If it goes to 8 change probably not to never.

Big Frog II

Do you think we would have been a massive underdog in 2010? 2014? I don't. If there had been an 8 team playoff those years, I think we would have done very well.

Wexahu

Do you think we would have been a massive underdog in 2010? 2014? I don't. If there had been an 8 team playoff those years, I think we would have done very well.

Not a massive underdog but since the playoff expanded to four we’ve gradually had less and less parity in the game. And I think if it goes to 8 it will only get worse. Some of the blue bloods will be able to say to recruits come to our school and you’ll probably make the playoff every single year.....and they’ll be right. The huge advantage those schools already have will only get larger.

flyfishingfrog

And a lot of teams that otherwise wouldn’t are going to end their seasons in disappointment. And It’s going to be in embarrassing fashion quite often. They have a hard enough time finding 4 teams that are truly competitive in a playoff type game when every team is highly motivated. We’ll probably not win a national title under the current system. If it goes to 8 change probably not to never.
You logic lacks logic- you are the only person on the planet that seems to think having less teams make it each year means a school like TCU stands a better chance to win it.

I don’t know a lot about it but I know you have to be in the playoffs to win it...

plus again expansion doesn’t have to be about finding a different winner all the time - more about giving more schools hope

I would take OUs last 4 CFP finishes over our last Zero CFP appearances

flyfishingfrog

Not a massive underdog but since the playoff expanded to four we’ve gradually had less and less parity in the game. And I think if it goes to 8 it will only get worse. Some of the blue bloods will be able to say to recruits come to our school and you’ll probably make the playoff every single year.....and they’ll be right. The huge advantage those schools already have will only get larger.

are you under the impression that those schools aren’t saying that now? Who exactly will suddenly be saying that and is not right now? Maybe a PAC school but I guarantee every school who has made the 4 so tells their recruits that already.

froglash88

We get it. You are on the committee

Hard to read your nonsense.

Froggish

Yes I do...That’s not to say we wouldn’t have given someone hell but we likely would have been ranked 6-7 and faced one of the top 3 teams. Sure we could have won that game but we would have been an underdog for certain

JockO de Frog

I'm one of those people who watches the 1 vs 16 in Match Madness. I like the 2 v 15, the 3 v 14. I go into those games knowing good and well that the higher seed is likely to tan the hide of the lower. But America loves the underdog so it's compelling no matter what the result. The occasional upset payoff is so worth it.

So I see zero problem with having a 1 v 8 in football, even one in which the 1 wins in 7 out of 8 years.
absolutely true. Granted many years one through three are far superior. But that would not have been the case in 2014. Another Point brought out about the fan base travel would be to have 1 2 3 4 play the first playoff game at home against 8765.

Wexahu

absolutely true. Granted many years one through three are far superior. But that would not have been the case in 2014. Another Point brought out about the fan base travel would be to have 1 2 3 4 play the first playoff game at home against 8765.

So because of a circumstance in 2014 that occurred (before the Big 12 CCG was even created) it’s necessary to add more teams? Name another year that we needed 8 instead of 4.

NewFrogFan

LSU had not sniffed the playoff before this year, based on the fact they have already have 9 declared early, I think it is safe to say they wont be there next year. Even the chance of a #8 or even #16 seed could get hot at the right time creates more interest. Make the bowls bid for the games just like college baseball does for regionals. Its time to upset the apple cart, the TV contracts are going to change the conferences and some of the models are not very TCU friendly.