• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Sooners Big 12 Opener Thread

Rose Bowl

I’ve noticed Miles doesn’t really want to go to his right. You can practice that out of him but the staff needs to stay on him. We need to drive the ball using our dominant hands more. RJ and PJ are our best guys using their dominant hand.

Miles is a baller. I know you’re weren’t that high on him but he seems to have a very good feel of the game and toughness.

Skip Jansen

I’ve noticed Miles doesn’t really want to go to his right. You can practice that out of him but the staff needs to stay on him. We need to drive the ball using our dominant hands more. RJ and PJ are our best guys using their dominant hand.

Miles is a baller. I know you’re weren’t that high on him but he seems to have a very good feel of the game and toughness.

My opinion of him was based primarily on what I mentioned in my earlier post.

I felt like teams would get a 'book' on him pretty early on. He's shot the ball better than I thought he would. That's allowed him to get the minutes off the ball that he has gotten.

That should help as they ease him into more of a PG role. He'll have to make those adjustments regarding the scouting report, but he is definitely ahead of the curve in a lot of areas.

Eight

I don’t think it a stretch that they have two potential all conference players in Reaves and Manek. They are currently 25th in Pomeroy rankings. Is it that much of a stretch to opine that a top 25 team is going to be a top 10 team as the season progresses?

the only problem using any rankings right now is the lack of games played by a number of teams and haven't we seen this past year just how inaccurate projection models are when there isn't enough accurate data?

pomeroy's system is based upon looking at who a team has beaten, how they beat them and the same for losses so how do you get an accurate gauge on ou who has only played two games, one which was against a team with a loss to a bad utrgv by 17?

the other thing you don't mention is that in pomeroy's current top 10 there are 5 other big 12 schools who ou will have to play so if pomeroy is accurate on ou wouldn't it also stand that the other 5 are ranked and for ou to reach the top 10 they are going to have to go through those 5 other schools is possible, but is it probable?

Eight

Eight-

Here is the Miles part of my comments-

I mentioned earlier about the staff giving him most of his minutes off the ball instead of primarily at PG.

First of all, I think Mike is going to be a really good PG in JD's offense. But, it's a hard position to learn and takes time to refine your skills. Right now he just has some tendencies that he'll overcome. These are the same things I noticed when I watched him play in HS/AAU.

Some of you may have noticed these things as well-

Mike has a tendency to want to get the ball to his left hand (weak hand) as he is getting into his shot. That's not that unusual actually. A lot of really good shooters do this.

Where it can become an issue is in 'ball screen' action. When I watched him and a ball screen was set (on his right hand/strong side), he invariably always wanted to 'refuse' the screen (go left opposite of the screener), whether that was the right read or not.

Why did he do that? Because, he wanted to be able to 'pull up' (if needed) for a shot and needed the ball on his left side (his comfortable side). That's fine for HS/AAU but, at this level, you can't have obvious tendencies. If you haven't noticed, go back and look at the first five games and notice how often he goes left.

How has the staff combatted that? As I mentioned, they have played him mostly off the ball. However, when they have put him in ball screens, they screen to his left/'weak hand. They treat him like a left hand dominant player.

Why? So, he can, in essence, 'refuse' the screen (go left) except he has the advantage of the screener still being in the 'action'.

Most opponents 'want' the PG to 'refuse' the screen. They want the ball handler to go to his 'weak' hand. The staff anticipated this and adjusted to it. Very smart thing to do.

Going forward? Once Mike refines this, and his 'reads' and decision-making become second-nature, the sky is the limit.

Sorry this was so long. I'm not great at concise writing.

thanks for the info and i wasn't asking about farabello as someone above miles. miles seems to be rising to the challenge so far

will be interesting how he adjusts once teams in the conference start to get a book on him.

i think these next two games are important for the frogs to win as they are very winnable and would seem to be the type of game the frogs need to win if they are going to compete in he middle of the big 12 this year

the only problem using any rankings right now is the lack of games played by a number of teams and haven't we seen this past year just how inaccurate projection models are when there isn't enough accurate data?

pomeroy's system is based upon looking at who a team has beaten, how they beat them and the same for losses so how do you get an accurate gauge on ou who has only played two games, one which was against a team with a loss to a bad utrgv by 17?

the other thing you don't mention is that in pomeroy's current top 10 there are 5 other big 12 schools who ou will have to play so if pomeroy is accurate on ou wouldn't it also stand that the other 5 are ranked and for ou to reach the top 10 they are going to have to go through those 5 other schools is possible, but is it probable?
Exactly on the first paragraph. I'm looking at what I saw out of OU yesterday and throwing out the preseason punditry and saying that's a top 10 team, in my opinion. Every year there are teams that rise up into the top 10 that started out the year maybe 25ish. OU looks like that type of team. Two very efficient scorers you can run the offense through, along with excellent free throw shooting. That's going to win a lot of close games. I, of course, could be wrong.

Skip Jansen

thanks for the info and i wasn't asking about farabello as someone above miles. miles seems to be rising to the challenge so far

will be interesting how he adjusts once teams in the conference start to get a book on him.

i think these next two games are important for the frogs to win as they are very winnable and would seem to be the type of game the frogs need to win if they are going to compete in he middle of the big 12 this year

I agree. The next two are really important.