• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Sooners Big 12 Opener Thread

Eight

Kentucky 1-3.

not just 1-3, but with an ugly loss to a georgia tech team that had lost to mercer and georgia state in 4 ot's

remember in the kansas game it was said that they almost completely turned over their entire roster and this might be a situation where the lack of early season practice and games hurts them

thought i remember cal saying he thought every team should be allowed in the tournament this year so maybe he saw something coming into the year

netty2424

not just 1-3, but with an ugly loss to a georgia tech team that had lost to mercer and georgia state in 4 ot's

remember in the kansas game it was said that they almost completely turned over their entire roster and this might be a situation where the lack of early season practice and games hurts them

thought i remember cal saying he thought every team should be allowed in the tournament this year so maybe he saw something coming into the year
First loss for Calipari from a former assistant of his.

17-1 vs his former assistants.

Eight

question skip, do you see francisco developing into the type of point guard dixon wants in his offense?

i know they don't want miles to have to shoulder the load of handling the ball for most of the game and i know there are going to be some challenging defensive back courts ahead in conference

concerned when a large amount of the offense is through a 36% shooter

Moose Stuff

question skip, do you see francisco developing into the type of point guard dixon wants in his offense?

i know they don't want miles to have to shoulder the load of handling the ball for most of the game and i know there are going to be some challenging defensive back courts ahead in conference

Our best option at PG plays for SMU

Skip Jansen

Bello is not really a JD type PG. He does a lot of the things Jamie wants from his PG. He sets his teammates up, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. But, he doesn't have the physical aspect JD wants.

Personally, I really like his game and feel like he is definitely a high-major PG and could develop into a really good ball screen
PG (due to his recognition and decision making skills) but Jamie wants someone who can get to the rim and score through contact, as well as, score late in the clock.

As far as Miles goes, I am going to make a separate post regarding him playing PG.

Skip Jansen

Eight-

Here is the Miles part of my comments-

I mentioned earlier about the staff giving him most of his minutes off the ball instead of primarily at PG.

First of all, I think Mike is going to be a really good PG in JD's offense. But, it's a hard position to learn and takes time to refine your skills. Right now he just has some tendencies that he'll overcome. These are the same things I noticed when I watched him play in HS/AAU.

Some of you may have noticed these things as well-

Mike has a tendency to want to get the ball to his left hand (weak hand) as he is getting into his shot. That's not that unusual actually. A lot of really good shooters do this.

Where it can become an issue is in 'ball screen' action. When I watched him and a ball screen was set (on his right hand/strong side), he invariably always wanted to 'refuse' the screen (go left opposite of the screener), whether that was the right read or not.

Why did he do that? Because, he wanted to be able to 'pull up' (if needed) for a shot and needed the ball on his left side (his comfortable side). That's fine for HS/AAU but, at this level, you can't have obvious tendencies. If you haven't noticed, go back and look at the first five games and notice how often he goes left.

How has the staff combatted that? As I mentioned, they have played him mostly off the ball. However, when they have put him in ball screens, they screen to his left/'weak hand. They treat him like a left hand dominant player.

Why? So, he can, in essence, 'refuse' the screen (go left) except he has the advantage of the screener still being in the 'action'.

Most opponents 'want' the PG to 'refuse' the screen. They want the ball handler to go to his 'weak' hand. The staff anticipated this and adjusted to it. Very smart thing to do.

Going forward? Once Mike refines this, and his 'reads' and decision-making become second-nature, the sky is the limit.

Sorry this was so long. I'm not great at concise writing.

CountryFrog

I was pretty disappointed in our perimeter defense but it's also tough when the officials aren't allowing you to get close to the guy with the ball. The 58 free throws that Reaves shot were the difference in the game. He's clearly been watching a lot of James Harden film. So many times he's not even trying to make an actual basketball play, just looking to get a foul call. Then on the handful of times he doesn't get the call he's bitching to the officials.

OmniscienceFrog

I don’t think it a stretch that they have two potential all conference players in Reaves and Manek. They are currently 25th in Pomeroy rankings. Is it that much of a stretch to opine that a top 25 team is going to be a top 10 team as the season progresses?
Yes, we will see. They have a 4 point win over the preseason # 9 team in their 10 team conference so far. We will see how they do in their 10 games against the 5 teams expected to be the best in the conference.