• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs Raiders Hoops Game Thread

zfrawg

I like Samuel's talent and I think he'll continue to get better. He doesn't have any offensive game from outside of about 5 feet right now that I've seen. He's also a little indecisive with the ball at times when he does catch it further away which has lead to some turnovers and he's an awful FT shooter. As Pharm alluded to, until he gets some kind of game from 5 to 8 feet and/or becomes a more decisive passer then it's tough to run offense through him consistently.

we look like at times we consider going inside to him, but we never feed the ball. maybe not never, but extremely rare that we do. it looks like we have no clue how to throw a pass into the post unless we're cutting, diving or in the midst of our motion offense. IDK if maybe Samuel's position isn't as good as it needs to be but frustrating to say the least.

Francis Xav

we look like at times we consider going inside to him, but we never feed the ball. maybe not never, but extremely rare that we do. it looks like we have no clue how to throw a pass into the post unless we're cutting, diving or in the midst of our motion offense. IDK if maybe Samuel's position isn't as good as it needs to be but frustrating to say the least.
Needs better hands. And decisive moves.

PO Frog

We may have a "motion offense" on paper but we do absolutely nothing in terms of productive motion, such a curling around picks and receiving the ball while moving towards the bucket. Our motion consists of players trading places from the wing to the corner and cycling the ball around the perimeter until ARob makes a play on a high P&R or a turnover. Any pass directed towards a cutter is by happenstance as opposed to a part of the motion of the offense. Was hoping Cross could bring some creativity to our "offense" since he seemed to work magic at UTA but that hasn't happened as we've seen the same thing for three years. Our talent level will continue to improve for the next few years and you can always be pretty good with good defense and rebounding, but I'm not seeing a lot of creativity on that side of the ball. Hell, we don't even look like we have inbound plays.

PS
The best we've looked all year offensively was early in the year against a couple of crappy zones with Alex or JD flashing to the high post. It kept Arob from dribbling the clock out and allowed him to use his fantastic passing skills to find open shooters or the low post cutting to the bucket. Granted, the teams that played zone against us weren't great, but I liked what I saw much better in terms of ball movement and a coherent plan.

Realtorfrog

Chalking this up to a good team just playing a really good game against us and moving on.
This!!
Moretti played his best game and Mooney scored more in this game than the whole season combined it seemed. It was more than just Culver. Yet one specific call goes our way and it would have been close!!

Delray Frog

It was just a bad game. Defensively we looked slow, we got in foul trouble and had to go to a zone. We weren't moving quickly enough to guard those shooters and they made us pay dearly. I think we will play much better on Saturday after a day or two of rest. The season is not over, and these guys will not quit. We usually have better success against a zone defense, which Baylor goes to primarily. I'm predicting our first conference road win of the season this Saturday. Go Frogs!

Eight

Phenomenal.

ETA: PJ Fuller will be an impact player for us. Some are saying he could be a one and done. An Argentinean PG is also being compared to a Ginobili. There are some talented kids coming in this class.

the point guard's dad played with ginobili and francisco is a 6' pass first player whose shot needs work. far closer to kendric davis or ricky rubiio than manu who is a good 5-6" taller and a different type of player.

fuller is an explosive guard who has scoring potential and diante smith is an athletic wing player

they still have room for another player and would like to see them add an athletic big man

Purp

I think it's way too early to hit the panic button on the Tech game in FW. Don't forget we embarrassed a WVU team at home by a larger margin and that WVU team turned around and beat the best team in the conference at home the next game. That proves we man-handled a very capable basketball team. We're all expecting a much tougher game against WVU b/c of that first egg they laid, but it wasn't all them that night. We just played an excellent all round ball game.

That happened to us last night. Tech played their best all round game of the season at their home gym and they did it with an offense that I don't think they can sustain throughout the season. If they do then I don't know how they were so lost for the first 3 months of the season. I doubt they put another game together like that in FW and I think we'll also be better at home.

MTfrog5

I won’t get upset about a road loss. Home court advantage is huge in this league especially when it’s the school’s first big Monday in 13 years. They advertised it like TCU did for West Virginia last year. Saying that I’d really like to win at Baylor and OSU. Those are two very winnable games on the road. Just need to win all but maybe one at home.

Eight

noi really seems to have responded to the challenge/opportuinity/ whatever and expanded his offensive game to much, more more than shooting from the 3-pt line. he has become much more aggressive driving the basketball and creating opportunities for others.

samuel does have offensive limitations in regards to his hands, moves, range etc.. but he plays hard, hasn't played timid and when he gets the ball on the low block good things happen for tcu. he aslo had as many assists as alex.

bane played a dreadful first half and a better second. unfortunately the hole was damn deep from the first half and frogs can not have 2 of their big 3 not producing against the better teams in the conference on the road

davis played well in the second half scoring, but struggled in the first and made some poor decisions with the ball in the first half

miller seems to be still unsure where he fits in this offense. i agree with po frog that the best the offense looked had a component of jd flashing to the top where he is athletic enough to be a threat on the roll as well as has some range from the free line and in a bit.

nembhard has regressed the past five games since showing some potential at kansas. he has shot 2-15 and had 5 to's to 2 assists. lat gave us one game and really has been just a guy and barlow didn't play much

alex was taken out of the game and was really a non-factor. the bigger concern is not his game for him, but decisions and effectiveness since conference play. he is shooting 39% from the field, 32% from 3 and his assists to turnovers has fallen dramatically. prior to conference play it was 108 / 40 or 2.5 assists to every 1 turnover. big12 play it is 40/30 or 1.3 to 1.

we have seen a similar trend with kendric. prior to big 12 play it was 19/8 or over 2 to 1. in big 12 play it has inverted to 15/19. the frogs point guards have had 55 assists to 49 turnovers since the start of conference play.

loss of jaylen hurts and youth doesn't help, but kansas is starting 2 true freshmen guards and they are getting better production. i agree with what po frog wrote on the offense and yes tcu has lost players, but you have to adapt and frogs have struggled on the offensive end.

when the team defends and rebounds they are going to be in most games, but they don't have the offensive scoring ability to give away possessions.

jake102

assists to turnovers has fallen dramatically. big12 play it is 40/30 or 1.3 to 1.

This right here. Our PGs are turning the ball over way too often.

Also, losing Fisher has really hurt because this team is designed to have three guys on the floor who can shoot the 3. Without Fisher we really only have Bane and Noi. I'd love for Davis to get a little confidence and start taking his open 3s... he passed up two open looks last night, one ended up in a TO.

Oh and I would love to see what Archie could have done with Nembhard's minutes.

Eight

This right here. Our PGs are turning the ball over way too often.

Also, losing Fisher has really hurt because this team is designed to have three guys on the floor who can shoot the 3. Without Fisher we really only have Bane and Noi. I'd love for Davis to get a little confidence and start taking his open 3s... he passed up two open looks last night, one ended up in a TO.

Oh and I would love to see what Archie could have done with Nembhard's minutes.

kendric in high school did most of his scoring inside the arc and a great deal by taking people to the basket.

he shot some from the outside, but his bread and butter was controlling tempo, points off turnovers and causing defensive issues off his driving the ball.

i think he has the form for a nice shot and i think that will come in time, but i don't think it is there right now.

bigger concern to me is that jaylen was a guy who tcu just doesn't have a replacement for on this roster. not lat, rj, or jd. they all can hit the occasional 3, but none are as dependable and i don't think alex can make that shift to fill the role to play alongside davis.

this is the challenge, how do you take the pieces you have and fit that into a somewhat effective offense?