• The KillerFrogs

Frogs pursuing the NFL.....

LexiMax

Think about it. TCU only has I think 16 guys in the NFL. Only 8 defense. Why? I think it is about GP system. He gets the max out of his defensive guys. It doesn’t translate to the NFL. He pays no attention to offense. The NFL guys obviously see something with the OL guys. Cannon, Hunt, Big V, Collins, Noteboom all in the last few years.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
Think about it. TCU only has I think 16 guys in the NFL. Only 8 defense. Why? I think it is about GP system. He gets the max out of his defensive guys. It doesn’t translate to the NFL. He pays no attention to offense. The NFL guys obviously see something with the OL guys. Cannon, Hunt, Big V, Collins, Noteboom all in the last few years.

And I think those numbers will only go up on both sides of the ball. When you get elite recruits you have a much better chance of them turning into elite pro prospects. Once we get to where we have top 20 recruiting classes every year I am almost positive that we will have a huge increase in the number of players invited to all star games and the combine.

Wexahu

Ok, how do you explain our top seniors from a class that won over 40 games not even getting an all star game invite? I'm not talking about being a top 100 draft pick but just getting invited to an All Star game to see if the numbers were just fake or if they can actually compete against the best of the best.

There aren't many Heisman winners/All Americans/1st team all conference selections (drafted or not) that came from respected power 5 schools that don't even get an invite to a post season all star game. I'm not saying that they are all 100% draft-able prospects but they all deserve to be well looked at/get at least an in person interview.

I'm sure Boesen won't blow the doors off in the 40 but you put him up against the top tackle prospects coming out and they see him manhandle them all week during practice that will sure as heck give him a better chance at getting drafted/invited to camp. Pro day won't show any of that - that is just a beach muscle competition. Our guys won't put up crazy measurables but you give them a week at an All Star showcase where people can actually see first hand if size matters it's a different deal. They deserve that.

There isn't an argument anyone will put up here that will convince me otherwise. There is zero excuse that the names mentioned aren't getting more of a look than they are getting. This senior class deserves more of a look than what they are currently getting.

Think about how many high school kids who make their all-district, all-region, or even all-state teams that don't get any D1 offers, much less offers to P5 schools. Should GP just start recruiting kids off the Texas 5A and 6A All-Region and All-State teams based on their high school trophy case because they "deserve a chance" or should he ignore that and recruit kids he think can be good P5-level college players? The answer to that is obvious and the NFL draft is no different from that perspective than college recruiting.

tcudoc

Should GP just start recruiting kids off the Texas 5A and 6A All-Region and All-State teams based on their high school trophy case because they "deserve a chance" or should he ignore that and recruit kids he think can be good P5-level college players?
I will let you know my answer tomorrow.

Ron Swanson

Ok, how do you explain our top seniors from a class that won over 40 games not even getting an all star game invite? I'm not talking about being a top 100 draft pick but just getting invited to an All Star game to see if the numbers were just fake or if they can actually compete against the best of the best.

There aren't many Heisman winners/All Americans/1st team all conference selections (drafted or not) that came from respected power 5 schools that don't even get an invite to a post season all star game. I'm not saying that they are all 100% draft-able prospects but they all deserve to be well looked at/get at least an in person interview.

I'm sure Boesen won't blow the doors off in the 40 but you put him up against the top tackle prospects coming out and they see him manhandle them all week during practice that will sure as heck give him a better chance at getting drafted/invited to camp. Pro day won't show any of that - that is just a beach muscle competition. Our guys won't put up crazy measurables but you give them a week at an All Star showcase where people can actually see first hand if size matters it's a different deal. They deserve that.

There isn't an argument anyone will put up here that will convince me otherwise. There is zero excuse that the names mentioned aren't getting more of a look than they are getting. This senior class deserves more of a look than what they are currently getting.

So who exactly is your argument with? Are you saying there is some conspiracy amongst the NFL teams to not invite TCU players to the combine and all star games?

Are you saying that TCU doesn’t promote them enough?

I’m confused as to who is at fault here in your mind.

Ron Swanson

It has almost nothing to do with GP’s system and everything to do with the level of recruit we have been getting for the past decade.

If Gary ran his system with Saban’s players, we would have tons of players in the league.

LexiMax

It has almost nothing to do with GP’s system and everything to do with the level of recruit we have been getting for the past decade.

If Gary ran his system with Saban’s players, we would have tons of players in the league.
You miss the point. GP recruits kids for the system he runs. Smaller, faster and coaches them up. Does Alabama, Georgia, Clemson have guys like Boesen's size? Yes, playing LB not DE. When you get to the NFL the size is the difference. Guys at level are all big and are fast. Except OL which is obvious due to our success of getting guys in the NFL.

TCURiggs

You miss the point. GP recruits kids for the system he runs. Smaller, faster and coaches them up. Does Alabama, Georgia, Clemson have guys like Boesen's size? Yes, playing LB not DE. When you get to the NFL the size is the difference. Guys at level are all big and are fast. Except OL which is obvious due to our success of getting guys in the NFL.

GP recruits those giant, fast Alabama freak shows that everyone wants, but we really haven't landed them over the years. That's led us to having some undersized, fast guys on defense in recent years. We're starting to have more success on the recruiting front and landing more of our first offers, though, which will lead to more guys ending up in the league. Our current skill positions, DL and secondary are prime examples of landing more of the top-tier talent we want, and if we keep winning it's only going to get better at the other positions as well.

LexiMax

GP recruits those giant, fast Alabama freak shows that everyone wants, but we really haven't landed them over the years. We're starting to have more success on the recruiting front and landing more of our first offers, though, which will lead to more guys ending up in the league. Our current skill positions, DL and secondary are prime examples of landing more of the top-tier talent, and if we keep winning it's only going to get better at the other positions as well.
Agreed

PO Frog

You miss the point. Gary would prefer big and fast but he doesn’t always have that choice, so he has opted for speed over size when forced to choose. He would prefer both, like Alabama. He has also changed his thinking a bit in terms of his targets recently. He thought everyone would be going small in the big 12 and he went that direction. He is coming back around on that issue it seems though and going after larger guys again.

Edit: what Riggs said.

Last edited:

Wexahu

You miss the point. Gary would prefer big and fast but he doesn’t always have that choice, so he has opted for speed over size when forced to choose. He would prefer both, like Alabama. He has also changed his thinking a bit in terms of his targets recently. He thought everyone would be going small in the big 12 and he went that direction. He is coming back around on that issue it seems though and going after larger guys again.

I agree and I never understood why he seemed to want to head in that direction. The 2014 defense was filled with guys who were "slow" (Carter, Hackett, Dawson, Mallett) but that was arguably the best defense he ever had. The 2015 and 2016 defenses might have been the smallest in the GP era, and those were a couple of the first classes recruited to the Big 12. Just very strange how we ended up getting smaller as we moved up a class.

SuperTFrog

One of my favorite comments that continually pops up is how we recruit differently than the Alabama’s of the world. We don’t recruit different players, we just land different players. Everyone wants 5 stars at every position, we just can’t get them. I promise GP wishes that he didn’t have to have the reputation of the “doing more with less” guy. He would trade rosters with 10 other teams in a second if he could and have a roster full of 4* and 5* guys.

TX_Krötenechse

Is a 4.42 in the middle of spring practice close to 4.3? LOL. It's strange how little we know about the quiet kid who did his job week in and week-out. The kid who Baker Mayfieild only targeted twice in two games. Now he has a few months to train and get ready for PRO Day. So the potential is there. Let's not forget, it was a 4.3 that got him the TCU offer. But who knows, nothing in the NFL world is an exact science. None of us know what will happen until the draft. These kids, all of them have potential and will write their own story into the NFL or out into corporate America.
Read what you just said. On the one hand you tell me that he ran a 4.42, then immediately say he ran a 4.3 in HS. That doesn’t make sense. I’m guessing that “4.3” was hand timed by a coach who had every incentive to get his kid an offer. And if you think GP offered him because of that one stat, you’re crazy.

The more salient question is whether a 4.42 is close to a 4.3. Frankly, the answer is no. At last year’s draft, 21 players ran a 4.42 or better. Add another dozen guys if you extend that up to 4.45.

To contrast, only 5 ran better than 4.40, and two of those were at 4.35 or higher. So true 4.3 speed? Only two guys in last year’s combine had it (3 if you count the guy who ran 4.31). So no, 4.42 and 4.3 are not even in the same league.

Ron Swanson

I didn’t miss any point. I fully understand every aspect of the discussion being had.

Sockem

Read what you just said. On the one hand you tell me that he ran a 4.42, then immediately say he ran a 4.3 in HS. That doesn’t make sense. I’m guessing that “4.3” was hand timed by a coach who had every incentive to get his kid an offer. And if you think GP offered him because of that one stat, you’re crazy.

The more salient question is whether a 4.42 is close to a 4.3. Frankly, the answer is no. At last year’s draft, 21 players ran a 4.42 or better. Add another dozen guys if you extend that up to 4.45.

To contrast, only 5 ran better than 4.40, and two of those were at 4.35 or higher. So true 4.3 speed? Only two guys in last year’s combine had it (3 if you count the guy who ran 4.31). So no, 4.42 and 4.3 are not even in the same league.

U forgetting one major point. Those 21 players had extensive training leading up to the combine., They were not in the middle of spring football camps have several coaches hold stop watches for a time. Texada ran a 4.3 twice. He also ran in the Texas State track Championship. So my point was, with training, he has the potential to run a 4.3. History tells us the kid can run. But nothing is an exact science.

Sockem

The main point you miss is that the NFL guys feel that Hicks and Noteboom are the only NFL guys from TCU.

Bro. All your post on this subject are against these TCU defensive players. U go tell a recruit to come to TCU, you will help them win 40 games, u will be a unanimous All Conf selection and by the way, don't even think about going to an All Star game and u probably won't go to a combine. See how many prospects will sign the dotted line. You need to check yourself. We didn't have 20 defensive players- we had 4 on defense that was deserving. If we can't get 4 players from a championship level team to a min of an All Star game invite, we have a lot of work to do. End of argument.