• The KillerFrogs

Frogs pursuing the NFL.....

purpleshades

If RT really is 161 pounds, he would be the smallest player in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball. There are a few cornerbacks that are listed around 180, but I don't think you can make it in the league at 160 no matter how strong you are. F=MV. And if he needs to add 20 pounds to compete, it's not likely he will be running a 4.3. And I don't know the size numbers when comparing JV and RT, but I don't recall JV ever being physically overmatched his last year at TCU. Can't say the same for RT, despite his excellent play this season.
Drew Coleman didn’t run a 4.3 and he was not very big. He played a good while in the league. Tejada would be an excellent nickel (like Drew was) corner in the league if given a shot....just comes down to if he will get an opportunity.

When our players get shots they make the most of it....does anyone think big V got overlooked?? Dude is now officially a bonified starting left tackle on a super bowl team...you can’t tell me that there weren’t tackles taken in the first round over him that in hindsight shouldn’t have.

PO Frog

Sad but true. Very well put..especially the part about our own fans buying into that crap! It’s complete garbage that our guys can put up those kind of numbers, play their butts off and get no combine or post season all star game invites! We should be ashamed of that and there is zero excuse for it!

Someone fell asleep on the job or didn’t do their job! Boesen, Tajada, Orr and Howard should all have all star invites and at least two if those names should be combine invitees. Again, zero excuses for it and as a University we shouldn’t be ok with this!

Come to our University, work your tail off, be the best at what you do and then get zero respect/job prospects after you’re done playing here. That’d be like convincing someone to come get their mba at Stanford rather than Harvard and at the very end (after great internships/working your tail off in the classroom) and graduating #1 in your class you didn’t get a single job offer. Meanwhile all the other Stanford alum are like yea, that sounds about right...you graduated here at the top of your class - you shouldn’t get a job! You just got lucky that one internship! What a joke...

I for one am tired of our fanbase being ok with this treatment of our players as pro prospects and our university should take this seriously! If I were an opposing coach I’d be having a hayday with this! Sure, go to Tcu, be an all American and you won’t even get invited to a post season all star game...we should be embarrassed!

Someone should be seriously looking into this and no one should sleep until it’s fixed!
Username checks out

Chico Dusty

Drew Coleman didn’t run a 4.3 and he was not very big. He played a good while in the league. Tejada would be an excellent nickel (like Drew was) corner in the league if given a shot....just comes down to if he will get an opportunity.

When our players get shots they make the most of it....does anyone think big V got overlooked?? Dude is now officially a bonified starting left tackle on a super bowl team...you can’t tell me that there weren’t tackles taken in the first round over him that in hindsight shouldn’t have.

If we’re being technical Coleman is 20 more lbs than RT.

Wexahu

Sad but true. Very well put..especially the part about our own fans buying into that crap! It’s complete garbage that our guys can put up those kind of numbers, play their butts off and get no combine or post season all star game invites! We should be ashamed of that and there is zero excuse for it!

Someone fell asleep on the job or didn’t do their job! Boesen, Tajada, Orr and Howard should all have all star invites and at least two if those names should be combine invitees. Again, zero excuses for it and as a University we shouldn’t be ok with this!

Come to our University, work your tail off, be the best at what you do and then get zero respect/job prospects after you’re done playing here. That’d be like convincing someone to come get their mba at Stanford rather than Harvard and at the very end (after great internships/working your tail off in the classroom) and graduating #1 in your class you didn’t get a single job offer. Meanwhile all the other Stanford alum are like yea, that sounds about right...you graduated here at the top of your class - you shouldn’t get a job! You just got lucky that one internship! What a joke...

I for one am tired of our fanbase being ok with this treatment of our players as pro prospects and our university should take this seriously! If I were an opposing coach I’d be having a hayday with this! Sure, go to Tcu, be an all American and you won’t even get invited to a post season all star game...we should be embarrassed!

Someone should be seriously looking into this and no one should sleep until it’s fixed!

College football is littered with players that were All-Americans, even Heisman Trophy winners, that weren't really pro prospects. It's not that big a deal.

Our players aren't getting "treated" any different than anyone else's. As soon as GP starts landing more players that fit the NFL prototype on the recruiting trail we'll start getting more kids to the combine, it's about as simple as that. A 240 lb DE, a 210 lb LB and a 185 lb Safety are probably going to be fringe NFL prospects at best, that's just the way it works. I would imagine if they continue progressing, Gladney, Gaines, Blacklock and Banogu will be invited for sure, and maybe a couple more.

Sockem

Dude, don't know who you are, but you nailed it and that is exactly my argument out here. I get more fans arguing against our players than for our players. Ranthony Texada, Matt Boresen, Nick Orr and Travin Howard carried our defense - and we are just fine with these guys not having opportunities at the next level because they are too small, not good enough inspite of being unanimous All Conference selections and All American mentions. All these people saying Texada was overmatched. Against who?? I will argue all day for a kid who overcame a devastating knee injury to come back and be named All Conference 2 years straight. In 4 years, Texada has made two All American teams, been named All Big 12 twice and we are talking about his outdated weight - 161 lbs - if TCU is listing the weight that he walked into the school with somewhere, then shame on them. But I haven't seen anywere 161 pounds. All you have to know about Ranthony Texada is he replaced JV as a Freshmen and our TCU Def didn't miss a beat (14-1), when he got hurt in 2015, we had one of the worst secondary in the Big 12. Ranthony Texada is a shutdown corner regardless of size and the Big 12 Coaches validated that. Matt Boresen no matter how he got there is an All American - I doubt a Texas or OU All American would be subbed for anything. Travin Howard is the leading tackler in TCU history under one of the best coaches in the country and you are telling me he can't help an NFL team win games. He can't even get invited to a NFLPA Bowl. Nick Orr was a defensive captain of the best defense in the nation.

PO Frog

He was taken in the 5th round so it's not like he was overlooked. And I'd love to see the list of 1st round guys that big V should have gone in front of. Here's a hint - none of them.
And I wouldn't say all of our guys that have gotten shots have turned into Super Bowl starters. As said previously, if you have the ability to play in the NFL, they will find you. There's no big conspiracy to keep TCU out of the league, and no amount of cheerleading is going to put any of our guys over the top of they don't have size, speed, skill, and all the other attributes needed. This debate is silly.

PO Frog

Dude, don't know who you are, but you nailed it and that is exactly my argument out here. I get more fans arguing against our players than for our players. Ranthony Texada, Matt Boresen, Nick Orr and Travin Howard carried our defense - and we are just fine with these guys not having opportunities at the next level because they are too small, not good enough inspite of being unanimous All Conference selections and All American mentions. All these people saying Texada was overmatched. Against who?? I will argue all day for a kid who overcame a devastating knee injury to come back and be named All Conference 2 years straight. In 4 years, Texada has made two All American teams, been named All Big 12 twice and we are talking about his outdated weight - 161 lbs - if TCU is listing the weight that he walked into the school with somewhere, then shame on them. But I haven't seen anywere 161 pounds. All you have to know about Ranthony Texada is he replaced JV as a Freshmen and our TCU Def didn't miss a beat (14-1), when he got hurt in 2015, we had one of the worst secondary in the Big 12. Ranthony Texada is a shutdown corner regardless of size and the Big 12 Coaches validated that. Matt Boresen no matter how he got there is an All American - I doubt a Texas or OU All American would be subbed for anything. Travin Howard is the leading tackler in TCU history under one of the best coaches in the country and you are telling me he can't help an NFL team win games. He can't even get invited to a NFLPA Bowl. Nick Orr was a defensive captain of the best defense in the nation.
It's hard to take you seriously when you consistently get our player's names wrong. Again, none of our opinions affect whether he makes it or not, so I don't know why you are so worked up about it.

Sockem

College football is littered with players that were All-Americans, even Heisman Trophy winners, that weren't really pro prospects. It's not that big a deal.

Our players aren't getting "treated" any different than anyone else's. As soon as GP starts landing more players that fit the NFL prototype on the recruiting trail we'll start getting more kids to the combine, it's about as simple as that. A 240 lb DE, a 210 lb LB and a 185 lb Safety are probably going to be fringe NFL prospects at best, that's just the way it works. I would imagine if they continue progressing, Gladney, Gaines, Blacklock and Banogu will be invited for sure, and maybe a couple more.

Nobody is arguing that these guys will make the NFL, we are just saying these guys deserve an opportunity to get a shot - and they will on PRO day. Trust me, Banogu will miss Texada - when you have a lockdown corner, defensive ends benefit. And to be honest, go watch the film, OU found Gladney and company in both games, didn't even look at Texada - just stating facts. We will see, would love to revisit this after the draft.

PO Frog

Nobody is arguing that these guys will make the NFL, we are just saying these guys deserve an opportunity to get a shot - and they will on PRO day. Trust me, Banogu will miss Texada - when you have a lockdown corner, defensive ends benefit. And to be honest, go watch the film, OU found Gladney and company in both games, didn't even look at Texada - just stating facts. We will see, would love to revisit this after the draft.
Nobody is denying them "a shot". They've been auditioning for 4 years.

Wexahu

Texada was a great player, better than Gladney at this point. But Gladney is 6’+, weighs about 25 pounds more, and because of that has more upside. He’ll be a really good NFL prospect if he keeps getting better.

They can’t invite everyone to these combines. You’re right, every kid we have will be seen by enough scouts to get a chance. Scouts are everywhere.

LSU Game Attendee

Wex liked for remembering that "scouts are everywhere." Negative nancies thinking frog players are overlooked relative to other schools' players are insane. As TCU recruits more players with God-given NFL frames, TCU have more players drafted.

A player's association with TCU will do nothing but boost his perceived value to an NFL franchise. Scouts, GMs, and coaches understand that players who have gone through CGP's program have had coachability, strength, and skills developed at least as well as anywhere else in the country.

Last edited:

jake102

Texada was a great player, better than Gladney at this point. But Gladney is 6’+, weighs about 25 pounds more, and because of that has more upside. He’ll be a really good NFL prospect if he keeps getting better.

They can’t invite everyone to these combines. You’re right, every kid we have will be seen by enough scouts to get a chance. Scouts are everywhere.

Gladney is also supposedly the fastest guy on the team.

In regards to Texada, go watch the Iowa State and Stanford games. There's a lot of guys who can do that in the NFL

purpleshades

Wex liked for remembering that "scouts are everywhere." Negative nancies thinking frog players are overlooked relative to other schools are insane. As TCU recruits more players with God-given NFL frames, TCU have more players drafted.

A player's association with TCU will do nothing but boost his perceived value to an NFL franchise. Scouts, GMs, and coaches understand that players who have gone through CGP's program have had coachability, strength, and skills developed at least as well as anywhere else in the country.

Ok, how do you explain our top seniors from a class that won over 40 games not even getting an all star game invite? I'm not talking about being a top 100 draft pick but just getting invited to an All Star game to see if the numbers were just fake or if they can actually compete against the best of the best.

There aren't many Heisman winners/All Americans/1st team all conference selections (drafted or not) that came from respected power 5 schools that don't even get an invite to a post season all star game. I'm not saying that they are all 100% draft-able prospects but they all deserve to be well looked at/get at least an in person interview.

I'm sure Boesen won't blow the doors off in the 40 but you put him up against the top tackle prospects coming out and they see him manhandle them all week during practice that will sure as heck give him a better chance at getting drafted/invited to camp. Pro day won't show any of that - that is just a beach muscle competition. Our guys won't put up crazy measurables but you give them a week at an All Star showcase where people can actually see first hand if size matters it's a different deal. They deserve that.

There isn't an argument anyone will put up here that will convince me otherwise. There is zero excuse that the names mentioned aren't getting more of a look than they are getting. This senior class deserves more of a look than what they are currently getting.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
If RT really is 161 pounds, he would be the smallest player in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball. There are a few cornerbacks that are listed around 180, but I don't think you can make it in the league at 160 no matter how strong you are. F=MV. And if he needs to add 20 pounds to compete, it's not likely he will be running a 4.3.

Sort of a different perspective here, but worth a listen if you have the time. This is a "kid" from Richardson Pierce HS who went to Illinois cause he could play football and run track. He tells a player's eye story of changing positions, waiting for the invite to the combine, going to pro day, and getting drafted. He speaks to a lot of the arguments/point of view on this thread. His comments on this start at the 7:00 point. Very truthful and interesting...they said he couldn't do it, but he did.

TCURiggs

I hope Morris makes it to the league. He's a stud who flat-out made our offense better when he was in there, so I'm sure he's film is good, and he'll put up big numbers in the weight room at Pro Day.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
Ok, how do you explain our top seniors from a class that won over 40 games not even getting an all star game invite? I'm not talking about being a top 100 draft pick but just getting invited to an All Star game to see if the numbers were just fake or if they can actually compete against the best of the best.

There aren't many Heisman winners/All Americans/1st team all conference selections (drafted or not) that came from respected power 5 schools that don't even get an invite to a post season all star game. I'm not saying that they are all 100% draft-able prospects but they all deserve to be well looked at/get at least an in person interview.

I'm sure Boesen won't blow the doors off in the 40 but you put him up against the top tackle prospects coming out and they see him manhandle them all week during practice that will sure as heck give him a better chance at getting drafted/invited to camp. Pro day won't show any of that - that is just a beach muscle competition. Our guys won't put up crazy measurables but you give them a week at an All Star showcase where people can actually see first hand if size matters it's a different deal. They deserve that.

There isn't an argument anyone will put up here that will convince me otherwise. There is zero excuse that the names mentioned aren't getting more of a look than they are getting. This senior class deserves more of a look than what they are currently getting.

I think all of our defensive players were studs this year and I think they will get their shot at pro day. But saying that they should all be in the combine or a postseason all star game is almost laughable. I think Boesen will have a chance to make the league as a rush end. And he may have been our best D linemen this year. But because of his frame and measurables he is not going to be highly touted. Then you have a guy like Ben Banogu with similar numbers to Boesen but Banogu has an NFL body. It's not that I necessarily think that one is better than the other but the NFL is more intrigued by a guy with an NFL ready body than one without. If Ben goes out and has the exact same numbers as Mat did then next year Ben will be in the combine and all of that. Its not about their stats now. Its about their physical makeup. Some guys have it and will have a much easier time getting into the league. I hope we have a whole bunch of this group make it to the league but if they don't it won't be because they didn't get the chance. It will be because they weren't good enough to play in the NFL. Just like 99% of guys who ever play college football.

Latest posts