• The KillerFrogs

Freshman, RS Freshman, & Sophs..Who surprises?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I just asked my daughter. She’s never heard of him but wants to know if he’s cute or has a girlfriend.
I don’t have a girlfriend.

uGWzJ99.gif

MinFrog

Really surprised no one has mentioned Noah Daniels yet. We are thin at CB and he has a very high ceiling with this speed and size.

I think he could end up grabbing a starting spot, or maybe the FS spot by conference play.

netty2424

Really surprised no one has mentioned Noah Daniels yet. We are thin at CB and he has a very high ceiling with this speed and size.

I think he could end up grabbing a starting spot, or maybe the FS spot by conference play.
No ones mentioned him because no staff is mentioning him. Haven't heard his name in a long time. They keeping him secret or is he just not progressing? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

FrogLifeYo

No ones mentioned him because no staff is mentioning him. Haven't heard his name in a long time. They keeping him secret or is he just not progressing? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Well he did redshirt last year but he has the size to get in the rotation..Corner is an island position in our system so it takes a special kid to compete on that island..He has the physical tool we just don’t know much more than that..I’d love to see him emerge

FrogLifeYo

The Collins/Robinson QB battle seems a lot like the Joeckel/Boykin one. Not that it will end with the more mobile guy playing but I think that aspect of Robinson's game may be too hard for Collins to overcome. Either way I feel like we're in a great spot for the next few years

Spot on...Some of the QB talk here is word for word the language written on the Joeckel / Boykin battle a few years back. As highly as people have spoken of Collins, there really no legit talk coming out of the program of him beating out Robinson...GP and Cumbie have been grooming him to be the man and if he were to loose the job, we are likely in a whole heap of trouble.

4th. down

I wouldn't count out that kid from Penn potentially being the day 1 starter at quarterback. Everyone says he's good and has a cannon for an arm.

if he's less prone to turnovers, then he could get some significant playing time. GP absolutely hates those turnovers. Play an Andy Dalton game, keep it simple and move the chains. Don't know if SR can do that.

Limp Lizard

if he's less prone to turnovers, then he could get some significant playing time. GP absolutely hates those turnovers. Play an Andy Dalton game, keep it simple and move the chains. Don't know if SR can do that.
Dalton did not really get rid of the turnovers until his Jr year. Remember the "Dalton rule"? And Andy was a Redshirt Freshman, too. 10 TD's 11 Ints!
True Freshman
Robinson had 3 TD's, no Ints for the year. Bad passing day (percentage wise) at TT on a chilly and windy day...still no ints, won the game on his first/only start. One fumble lost on 110 yards rushing. Played hurt most of the game because he did not avoid contact like he should as starting QB. Threw a pretty ball just barely missing receivers, obviously has to work on that. Of course if he doesn't improve will have to do better, but no indication he will not improve. If Dalton had not improved from his Redshirt Freshman year he would have been replaced, or the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl would not have happened and we probably would be a G5 team, wringing our hands and complaining about bias toward the G5 teams. Robinson knows he has to improve from the TT game, so what is the problem?

Wexahu

Dalton did not really get rid of the turnovers until his Jr year. Remember the "Dalton rule"? And Andy was a Redshirt Freshman, too. 10 TD's 11 Ints!
True Freshman
Robinson had 3 TD's, no Ints for the year. Bad passing day (percentage wise) at TT on a chilly and windy day...still no ints, won the game on his first/only start. One fumble lost on 110 yards rushing. Played hurt most of the game because he did not avoid contact like he should as starting QB. Threw a pretty ball just barely missing receivers, obviously has to work on that. Of course if he doesn't improve will have to do better, but no indication he will not improve. If Dalton had not improved from his Redshirt Freshman year he would have been replaced, or the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl would not have happened and we probably would be a G5 team, wringing our hands and complaining about bias toward the G5 teams. Robinson knows he has to improve from the TT game, so what is the problem?

I don't think there is a "problem", just uncertainty as to how good we're going to be at QB next year. You were obviously pretty impressed with what you saw in Lubbock last year. Some people (like me) maybe didn't see what you saw though. He lost one fumble but he could have (and probably should have), lost two or three more. He completed 6 passes, and yes I know it was really windy, but he wasn't just "barely missing" receivers unless you're just trying to give him every benefit of the doubt and then some. Honestly, once we got ahead in that game and it looked like they weren't going to move the ball much on us, I was almost begging for 3 handoffs and a punt just so our QB wouldn't give the game to them by doing something stupid and carelessly turning the ball over. He might end up being great, but the jury is still way out on that one IMO.

MTfrog5

Think that’s more of the Jeff Ballard game. He threw more balls away in the 2006 Tech game than we have in the last ten years combined

MAcFroggy

True Freshman

To be fair, Robinson had three fumbles. We were very lucky to have only lost one of them. Fumble recoveries are so random. We will not always get so lucky. If he fumbles 3 times a game, we will lose more than we win.

4 Oaks Frog

Robinson was very fortunate that he only lost one of his multiple fumbles vs Tech, ball security has to be a priority for him going into this season.
Whatcha wanna bet that there is a coach working on that very thing! Robinson is going to be awesome. By the end the year, he will lead the conference in QB rating. Hide and watch!!
GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

P

purplePPO

We will all find out very soon. Go Frogs!

4th. down

True Freshman

Limp, don't know if the forum really thinks there is a problem yet but our picture will be a lot clearer after the Ohio State game.

Limp Lizard

Limp, don't know if the forum really thinks there is a problem yet but our picture will be a lot clearer after the Ohio State game.
My point was all the talk about Collins taking over before the season starts, 3 TO's per game (he may have one or two of those, I admit), comparing 5th year Dalton vs a true Freshman. But yeah, we don't know. But Shawn does have 15 starts in a row without a loss, one being in a tough place in tough weather.

4th. down

I'm telling you this isn't Boykin vs A&M transfer qb from a couple of years ago. The people in the know, know that Penn transfer QB is that good. Don't be surprised.

Well yes, and I have not personally talked to anyone that has watched more than 1 or 2 summer workouts but Collins is legit but so is SR and he's No.1 until proven otherwise. Good competition this year and next spring will really be something on the QB competition. No one doubts the talent of SR, it's just the fear of being careless with the ball.

FrogLifeYo

Robinson looked exactly like a guy who was starting his first college football game just 6 months after stepping on campus for the first time. Of course he was going to be confused and careless. Im not sure what people were thinking he’d look like in his first start. Let’s not forget that he was facing a team with a much improved defense in their stadium. We didn’t even need him to throw the ball. Completing 6 passes isn’t great but we also didn’t attempt bu 18 passes. We ran the ball for over 200 yards with a authority and SR himself led the running game in yards and ran for 8 yards a carry. People forget that we won that game without D. Anderson..That’s just how dominant we were that day.

Collins may very well end up being the starting QB but it won’t be at the start of the season. This absolutely S.Robs job to loose. Robinson will be given every chance to lead the team before turning to other options. I don’t for a second believe that the job is currently open in the eyes of the coaching staff.