• The KillerFrogs

Freshman, RS Freshman, & Sophs..Who surprises?

FrogLifeYo

Let’s keep the football talk going

Last year we had Reagor, Blacklock, and Bethley come up big as youngsters for us...

Who are the Freshman, RS Freshman or Untested Sophs that emerge as key contributors this year?

I’ll throw out two on offense and two on defense..

Taye Barber..Seems to have the juice to avoid Rshirting

Wes Harris - We seem to need about 8 lineman every year and I expect Wes to nail down a rotation spot

Honorable mention: Manning (assuming he’s here :) and A. Meyers (already contributing and I actually think he might start a guard for us if McKinney is who we hope he is)

George Ellis III- Think he Will be an important part of the DT rotation by conference time

Van Zant - Think he has some Innis Gaines in him and although listed as a safety, I think he has the hips to steal some snaps at Corner. We are loaded at Safety but light on the outside..

Anyone else...Who in your opinion are this seasons breakout youngsters?

Wexahu

Barber on offense, Wallow on defense

Those were the first two names that came to mind for me too.

I think a sophomore or two will play a lot (if not start) on the O-line and I think LVZ makes some things happen too. Not expecting much from the other WRs.

jake102

Hoping to add Myers and/or Harris to the list.

If we are talking Sophomores, of course Robinson is #1

Speaking of Robinson, has a new era or QB ever been less talked about? I feel like the fanfare/speculation has been remarkably low compared to other QB transitions.

Wexahu

I'm really, really hoping that our largely untested Sophomore QB emerges.

Yes. One thing that probably doesn't get mentioned enough is we don't if we'll have any adequate QB play. Hopeful but no sure thing whatsoever. While a lot of people were impressed with what they saw of SR in Lubbock, I saw a guy that needs to make a ton of improvement or else it'll be a long season. Wind or not, there was some really sloppy stuff going on in that game, almost to the point where all I wanted him to do was throw a bomb, hand off, or take a knee. And based on the play calling I think the coaches may have felt the same way.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Hoping to add Myers and/or Harris to the list.

If we are talking Sophomores, of course Robinson is #1

Speaking of Robinson, has a new era or QB ever been less talked about? I feel like the fanfare/speculation has been remarkably low compared to other QB transitions.
Probably because Rogers is waiting in the wings.

jake102

Yes. One thing that probably doesn't get mentioned enough is we don't if we'll have any adequate QB play. Hopeful but no sure thing whatsoever. While a lot of people were impressed with what they saw of SR in Lubbock, I saw a guy that needs to make a ton of improvement or else it'll be a long season. Wind or not, there was some really sloppy stuff going on in that game, almost to the point where all I wanted him to do was throw a bomb, hand off, or take a knee. And based on the play calling I think the coaches may have felt the same way.

Worth noting that one deep pass was straight dropped (believe it was Snell) and another deep TD pass to Reagor was out of bounds by about 1/2 inch, Reagor probably should have kept it inbounds.

The running/fumbling was a disaster. Not sure what he thought he was doing. The passing was so-so. You turn those two long balls into catches and his stat line changes from 6/17 for 85 yards (5.0 per pass) 1 TD, 0 INT into 8/17, 160 yards, (9.4 per pass) 2 TD, 0 INT

Wexahu

Worth noting that one deep pass was straight dropped (believe it was Snell) and another deep TD pass to Reagor was out of bounds by about 1/2 inch, Reagor probably should have kept it inbounds.

The running/fumbling was a disaster. Not sure what he thought he was doing. The passing was so-so.

He throws a nice deep ball, I'm confident in that....and I think he has the ability to be a good runner but the ball security was almost comically bad against Tech. I really have no idea if he can do all the other things necessary to be a good QB.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Such a strange circumstance. It's not like Robinson was a poorly recruited guy... I remember half the board watching his High School games getting pumped up as he won a state championship.
I agree. We were/are super pumped to have him. Then when Rogers came on board, the hype transferred to him. Embarrassment of riches, I suppose.

jake102

The ball that Robinson threw for a TD to close the first half of the state championship game was the sickest ball I’ve ever seen. Once the college game slows down for him, he’ll be juuuust fine.

Yeah that was absurd. I remember thinking (2016 season) that none of TCUs WRs at that time would have caught that ball.

Eight

The ball that Robinson threw for a TD to close the first half of the state championship game was the sickest ball I’ve ever seen. Once the college game slows down for him, he’ll be juuuust fine.

one of the best throws by a high school quarterback i have ever seen and that includes the likes of brees and andrew luck

know coaches on the staff that got beat by desoto in the state semi's and they will tell you with a straight face that robinson looked like he decided some time in the 3rd quarter no matter what he wasn't going to lose and he just found ways to swing that ball game after it looked like desoto was ready to quit.

so yes, he right now is the single most important sophomore on this roster

other offensive players austin myers and wes harris in the o-line.

wide receivers i think hunt and barber will make an impact and i would not be surprised to see derius davis pop up some time next fall. also al'dontre davis was a force as a junior in high school before playing his senior season with a broken foot. he could be physical presence at receiver

defensively in the line ge3 and cooper inside. like dennis collins' high school film and frogs seem to have luck with those de's who have that shorter, square build with some quickness and will fight like hell on the edge

3 frosh d-backs i think that could help early (i think we forget how damn talented some of these frosh defenders are) ar'darius washingon as a safety who can find the ball always has a play in gary's defense, vongor is sam carter 2.0, and moehrig-woodard.

tmw is really overlooked in this class, is a great athlete and could be unicorn gary has looked for at corner

red-shirt frosh michael onyemaobi is a really long athlete who i think was overlooked last year as well.

DelFrog

Robinson was very fortunate that he only lost one of his multiple fumbles vs Tech, ball security has to be a priority for him going into this season.