• The KillerFrogs

Freshman, RS Freshman, & Sophs..Who surprises?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I wouldn't count out that kid from Penn potentially being the day 1 starter at quarterback. Everyone says he's good and has a canon for an arm.
I’ve heard this as well. Basically to the point of, if Collins winds up being the starter, I shouldn’t be surprised. Wicked spiral.

jake102

I wouldn't count out that kid from Penn potentially being the day 1 starter at quarterback. Everyone says he's good and has a canon for an arm.

Think there are a number of reports that Robinson has a pretty firm grasp on the starting spot. Could obviously change in the summer/fall practices, but not thinking likely.

Heave heard that Collins is a solid player though and could step into the role.

Limp Lizard

As usual, a lot of guys with penis envy on this board.

I will be both surprised and disappointed if Robinson is not an improvement over KH. Hill did OK, but still threw off his back foot a lot. Overall had trouble with the deep ball (except for the perfect pass he threw against Stanford) But he was a fifth year Senior and had probably reached his potential. Our new QB has a much higher ceiling if for no other reason than arm strength.

Robinson was a true Freshman playing his first start in Lubbock on a chilly and very windy day. He was obviously hurting, too...which was at least partly his fault, I agree. If he had performed like KH did against Iowa State there would be a cry by many here to play anybody except Robinson. Just don't understand all the negativity here, with just one game...which he won, BTW. We really won't know until after a few starts. And that depends a lot on the OL. And of course, my biggest worry: injuries.

Of course what can you expect because our players are shorter, lighter, slower, weaker and... dumber than everyone else's, if you take the words of this board as truth.

Oh, and yeah, Collins' presence makes me feel better, too.

TooColdU

In Lubbock, you could tell Robinson was nowhere near "game-shape". He did really good job rushing that game (10 carries for 84 yards), but as he plays more, the game should slow things down for him.

A lot of the fumbling mistakes were because he was exhausted. He looked like a freshman that was trying to go 100 mph all the time and simply ran out of gas fast.

I just wish they would've gave him more playing time against Kansas and SMU.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

Word on the street is that Robinson needs to grow up and take the situation handed to him more serious and the guy from Penn didn't come to TCU and give up whatever he had at Penn to come to Fort Worth and sit. I'll be interested to see how Fall camp goes and if Gary thinks the kid from Penn leads the offense better and if Gary doesn't start him. Kid from Penn was also a state champion. Good spot to be in for Frog fans.

netty2424

Hoping to add Myers and/or Harris to the list.

If we are talking Sophomores, of course Robinson is #1

Speaking of Robinson, has a new era or QB ever been less talked about? I feel like the fanfare/speculation has been remarkably low compared to other QB transitions.
Agree on Robinson talk. I think he's a likable guy with a lot of potential and he's just not as polar as KH was. Most of the KH talk was venom, which is obviously a big player on fan boards.

Plus, what do we really have in Robinson? Big kid, strong runner, not a burner but still fast, big arm. Has the stuff, but hasn't seen much time yet. Hard to really know if he can put it all together.

netty2424

Word on the street is that Robinson needs to grow up and take the situation handed to him more serious and the guy from Penn didn't come to TCU and give up whatever he had at Penn to come to Fort Worth and sit. I'll be interested to see how Fall camp goes and if Gary thinks the kid from Penn leads the offense better and if Gary doesn't start him. Kid from Penn was also a state champion. Good spot to be in for Frog fans.
Sounds like classic GP motivational tactic to me.

IdiotsAlert

Honorable mention: Manning (assuming he’s here :) and A. Meyers (already contributing and I actually think he might start a guard for us if McKinney is who we hope he is)

Manning looks like a beast. Kid has put some time in the weight room that is for sure and looks much more stout than the 6-2 215 he is listed (in a good way). If he is healthy he will contribute.

IdiotsAlert

Total BS, both his parents are coaches and raised him well. Shawn is a great kid, mature beyond any RS freshman and beyond most juniors. talk to him for just 5 minutes and you would understand.

Moose Stuff

As usual, a lot of guys with penis envy on this board.

I will be both surprised and disappointed if Robinson is not an improvement over KH. Hill did OK, but still threw off his back foot a lot. Overall had trouble with the deep ball (except for the perfect pass he threw against Stanford) But he was a fifth year Senior and had probably reached his potential. Our new QB has a much higher ceiling if for no other reason than arm strength.

Robinson was a true Freshman playing his first start in Lubbock on a chilly and very windy day. He was obviously hurting, too...which was at least partly his fault, I agree. If he had performed like KH did against Iowa State there would be a cry by many here to play anybody except Robinson. Just don't understand all the negativity here, with just one game...which he won, BTW. We really won't know until after a few starts. And that depends a lot on the OL. And of course, my biggest worry: injuries.

Of course what can you expect because our players are shorter, lighter, slower, weaker and... dumber than everyone else's, if you take the words of this board as truth.

Oh, and yeah, Collins' presence makes me feel better, too.

Moronic post.

LeagueCityFrog

Total BS, both his parents are coaches and raised him well. Shawn is a great kid, mature beyond any RS freshman and beyond most juniors. talk to him for just 5 minutes and you would understand.

Didn't say he wasn't a great kid and I know about his good parents. Was told directly he needs to take this more seriously and lead more and that the kid from Penn has a stronger arm and is legit. Should be an interesting fall camp.

FrogLifeYo

Didn't say he wasn't a great kid and I know about his good parents. Was told directly he needs to take this more seriously and lead more and that the kid from Penn has a stronger arm and is legit. Should be an interesting fall camp.

I have a damn hard time believing that this kid has an appreciably stronger arm than Robinson. In fact I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Robinson might have biggest arm in the Big 12 right now..

LeagueCityFrog

I'm not here to stir the pot, ask around campus and they will tell you this Penn transfer qb is legit. Go Frogs beat Ohio State by out pacing them on the turf like we did to Ole Miss.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
The Collins/Robinson QB battle seems a lot like the Joeckel/Boykin one. Not that it will end with the more mobile guy playing but I think that aspect of Robinson's game may be too hard for Collins to overcome. Either way I feel like we're in a great spot for the next few years