• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth NCAA Regional Thread

Pharm Frog

I agree with you 100%, but Schloss still won the conference tournament in spite of his starting pitching selections. He's clearly got a good enough pulse on the team and the opponent to still pull most of the right levers.

I’m having difficulty reconciling this. If the Frogs won the tournament “in spite of” the starting pitcher choice, is this still having a good enough pulse on the team and justification of the $1.5M salary?

I’d suggest that in the last six games where starting pitcher selection was actually a consideration, we’ve blown it 50% of the time:

Saturday v KSU (Ray...enough said)
Wednesday v KSU (Meador...thank you Drew Hill)
Friday v Tech (Smith...no brainer)
Saturday v KSU (King...oops)
Saturday v KSU (Krob...elimination game no brainer)
Sunday v Okie Lite (Ridings....good choice among the pen day)

I don’t dislike Krob against McNeese as much as some of you apparently though. It’s not as if our starters are destined to go more than 5.1 or so. In Krob’s last three starts he’s gone 4.2, 1.0, and 4.0. Anything more than that is likely gravy and I’m not sure that we have any more confidence in anyone not named Smith than we do Wright, Hill, King, Perez, Ridings, and Savage. If Krob can go 7 or 8....we’ve got comparable arms after Smith.

Moose Stuff

I’m having difficulty reconciling this. If the Frogs won the tournament “in spite of” the starting pitcher choice, is this still having a good enough pulse on the team and justification of the $1.5M salary?

I’d suggest that in the last six games where starting pitcher selection was actually a consideration, we’ve blown it 50% of the time:

Saturday v KSU (Ray...enough said)
Wednesday v KSU (Meador...thank you Drew Hill)
Friday v Tech (Smith...no brainer)
Saturday v KSU (King...oops)
Saturday v KSU (Krob...elimination game no brainer)
Sunday v Okie Lite (Ridings....good choice among the pen day)

I don’t dislike Krob against McNeese as much as some of you apparently though. It’s not as if our starters are destined to go more than 5.1 or so. In Krob’s last three starts he’s gone 4.2, 1.0, and 4.0. Anything more than that is likely gravy and I’m not sure that we have any more confidence in anyone not named Smith than we do Wright, Hill, King, Perez, Ridings, and Savage. If Krob can go 7 or 8....we’ve got comparable arms after Smith.

Now that I’ve typed this we’ll probably score 10 in the first inning, but assuming Dion is the opposing starter he’s the dictionary definition of the type of guy who historically shoves it up our ass for 9 innings. I would start Smith. Anything else is asking for trouble.

I’m guessing Schloss knows that and just believes not starting Smith gives us the best chance to win the regional and not just win game 1.

Pharm Frog

Now that I’ve typed this we’ll probably score 10 in the first inning, but assuming Dion is the opposing starter he’s the dictionary definition of the type of guy who historically shoves it up our ass for 9 innings. I would start Smith. Anything else is asking for trouble.

I’m guessing Schloss knows that and just believes not starting Smith gives us the best chance to win the regional and not just win game 1.

If we score two runs or less like we did against Davis and like we did against Wicks that Thursday, we’re gonna lose like we did both games regardless of who we throw IMO. But it is correct that Dion is the type of pitcher who has beaten the “breath on barrel” Frogs many times.

I just think we’ve seen better plate discipline lately with P Brown hitting opposite field and Hump hitting opposite field, and even Wolfe hitting opposite field with Rookie Taylor also using LCF. I’m optimistic we can get to him. Not much history behind that optimism I admit.

Putt4Purple

I'm not a baseball guy. I will be open and right up front saying that. I do pay attention though and to me it is simple. He has confidence that our bats will be enough against Dion no matter who we put out as the starting pitcher. Dion may have done well in their Conference but it is a weak conference. Don't over think it. The Frogs have got this one.

Moose Stuff

If we score two runs or less like we did against Davis and like we did against Wicks that Thursday, we’re gonna lose like we did both games regardless of who we throw IMO. But it is correct that Dion is the type of pitcher who has beaten the “breath on barrel” Frogs many times.

I just think we’ve seen better plate discipline lately with P Brown hitting opposite field and Hump hitting opposite field, and even Wolfe hitting opposite field with Rookie Taylor also using LCF. I’m optimistic we can get to him. Not much history behind that optimism I admit.

Oh I think Russell Smith and Haylen Green could easily hold McNeese to 2 or less. It’s not a great lineup. Krob might shut them out for 6 innings and he might not get out of the 3rd. My trust level with him is real low.

Moose Stuff

you must have mind blown yourself then since tcu got hammered by a bad texas state team earlier in the year as well as lost the 3rd game against kansas after hammering them in the 2 prior games etc....

i don't know if starting krob is the proper choice, but this tcu team has shown they are fully capable of losing to any opponent they will face in this regional

You can play the “well they got beat by this team” with basically every team in the country.

Punter1

You can play the “well they got beat by this team” with every team in the country.

In the case of those two games ...we clearly lost interest. Tx State was a Tues after a long tournament in Houston where half our lineup wasn't playing and Meador looked like azz. And KU was a low energy game that we prob thought we won already. That's gonna happen a couple times every year.

I expect a full house and energy packed environment obviously Friday. I'd start Savage and have King ready to go since he just can't start a game but everyother relief appearance is nails.

flyfishingfrog

Honestly think who we start has less relevance to the results than if the adjustments made in the second KSU game Saturday and continued Sunday to be patient at the plate and take pitches to the appropriate part of the field stick

assuming we don’t throw someone who gives up 4+ in the 1st against a really average lineup - feel like it will be our offense that determines if we win or not, not our pitching

Pharm Frog

In the case of those two games ...we clearly lost interest. Tx State was a Tues after a long tournament in Houston where half our lineup wasn't playing and Meador looked like azz. And KU was a low energy game that we prob thought we won already. That's gonna happen a couple times every year.

I expect a full house and energy packed environment obviously Friday. I'd start Savage and have King ready to go since he just can't start a game but everyother relief appearance is nails.

Might want to re-think that King situation. If it’s true that he’s only good for every other relief appearance, we’re on the wrong side of the relief appearance ledger because we started him in OKC. I have NO idea what a lot of these guys are gonna do when they hit the mound.

Pharm Frog

Honestly think who we start has less relevance to the results than if the adjustments made in the second KSU game Saturday and continued Sunday to be patient at the plate and take pitches to the appropriate part of the field stick

assuming we don’t throw someone who gives up 4+ in the 1st against a really average lineup - feel like it will be our offense that determines if we win or not, not our pitching

I agree with this. That’s why I have less concern with starting Krob than some others do. I’d have less concern starting Savage or Hill or Smith. I’d probably have equal concern as others starting Ray.

Pharm Frog

Oh I think Russell Smith and Haylen Green could easily hold McNeese to 2 or less. It’s not a great lineup. Krob might shut them out for 6 innings and he might not get out of the 3rd. My trust level with him is real low.

Since the scenario was scoring two or less then I’d be hoping Smith and Green could hold them to less than 2. That said, I don’t think we would. We’d probably misplay a bunt in the 5th followed by an E5 and then Smith would give up a HR with two outs on a 1-2 count.

Eight

I mean we’re a 6 national seed so I’m not gonna pick us apart. I think every team that doesn’t have “Razorbacks” on their jersey has had bad losses/weekends.

don't disagree, think this team when they are good are very good, and they were good most of the year.

simply think this is a team that has shown they are capable of playing some bad baseball over the course of a weekend this year.

sure there are plenty of other teams in the country that meet that criteria, but come friday my only interest is what happens in ft worth.

like most of what i say and think i am most likely wrong