2022 Arkansas (with Tape Fingers) - 7 wins, 6 losses
YPG - 470 (#15 ranked in country)
PPG - 32.5 (#35)
YPP - 6.4 ((#28)

2023 Arkansas (W/O Tape Fingers) - 4 wins, 8 losses
YPG - 327 (#108)
PPG - 26.6 (#72)
YPP - 4.9 (#116)

And they returned their starting QB, who now wants to transfer. They might have wanted to get rid of him, but it sure didn't seem to work out, did it?

Exactly my point.

Limey Frog

I have no particular faith in either of coordinator at this point, but I can also see the arguments for not making a knee-jerk reaction to a bad season. I think 2022 earned Sonny more than enough goodwill and benefit of doubt to cover 2024, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised by considerable improvement next year on either side of the ball or both. The tragedy of this season is that we now move into 2024 in the spot that Aranda and Baylor were in for 2023. Two years removed from a conference title and NY6 bowl win, their program is spinning its wheels in muck. We're now going to spend the next nine months with absolutely no clue which of two versions of Dykes's TCU is closest to the mean of what the program would be under him over, say, a ten-year span.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have no particular faith in either of coordinator at this point, but I can also see the arguments for not making a knee-jerk reaction to a bad season. I think 2022 earned Sonny more than enough goodwill and benefit of doubt to cover 2024, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised by considerable improvement next year on either side of the ball or both. The tragedy of this season is that we now move into 2024 in the spot that Aranda and Baylor were in for 2023. Two years removed from a conference title and NY6 bowl win, their program is spinning its wheels in muck. We're now going to spend the next nine months with absolutely no clue which of two versions of Dykes's TCU is closest to the mean of what the program would be under him over, say, a ten-year span.
There are warning signs that we are indeed looking at the mean. We should get used to 5-6 win seasons.

Planks

I think sometime as fans we take the mindset of “Do something! Do anything!”

I think a head coach looks at things differently. Even if Sonny would ideally like to fire JG, it may be that Sonny ended up deciding it wasn’t worth it for a couple of reasons:

1) Just because we fire JG doesn’t mean we can get a better DC. Sonny likely has a list of potential DC candidates he wants, but it may be he put out feelers and came to the conclusion that he wouldn’t be able to the guy he wants. They might not want to move on from their current school. They might be holding out for a SEC/B1G DC Job. They might cost more than what TCU has budgeted for the DC position. If Sonny determined he wouldn’t be able to get the guy he wants who he thinks will actually be a better DC than JG, then there is no point in firing JG.

2) College football has changed in recent years. Now with early signing day and the transfer portal, you risk losing commits and players if you change coaches. Sonny might have determined that firing JG wouldn’t be worth losing commits and young players and setting the program back a couple of years from a personnel standpoint.

Planks

I hope Sonny recognizes that if the howls to get rid of obviously ill-fitting coordinators aren’t met, they are replaced with a clamoring to ditch him.

I’m sure Sonny understands this. He is making the decision that he thinks is best for the team, even if it is unpopular. His job at TCU will eventually live or die with the decision.

The truth is, Sonny probably wouldn’t be able to make this decision if this was UT or A&M. Some angry group of boosters would step in and force a change at the coordinator position. That’s the benefit of coaching at a place like TCU. You have the ability to make the decisions you think are right for the team, even if they are unpopular.

The results on the field these next couple seasons will tell us if Sonny has made the correct decision or not.

Froggy Style

I’m sure Sonny understands this. He is making the decision that he thinks is best for the team, even if it is unpopular. His job at TCU will eventually live or die with the decision.

The truth is, Sonny probably wouldn’t be able to make this decision if this was UT or A&M. Some angry group of boosters would step in and force a change at the coordinator position. That’s the benefit of coaching at a place like TCU. You have the ability to make the decisions you think are right for the team, even if they are unpopular.

The results on the field these next couple seasons will tell us if Sonny has made the correct decision or not.
Sometimes the angry boosters can see what is going on and not continually be surprised that the defense is sucking after giving up 30-40 in single halves of games many times in two years.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
His job at TCU will eventually live or die with the decision.
Sonny has already made his choice, and it is to stand pat. He hasn't been in any position long enough to have to make tough decisions about having to fire what amounts to friends, mainly because his employers fired him first.

Next season is pretty much it for Sonny. He had a lot of goodwill, and he burned it up with his nepotistic choice for OC. He watched his DC get romped over by pretty much everybody we lined up against and didn't do a damned thing. He followed this tampon pizza of a season by not heaving anybody over the side and keeping on with what clearly isn't working. A losing season next year will have many calling for his head, and rightly so.

Hemingway

Sonny has already made his choice, and it is to stand pat. He hasn't been in any position long enough to have to make tough decisions about having to fire what amounts to friends, mainly because his employers fired him first.

Next season is pretty much it for Sonny. He had a lot of goodwill, and he burned it up with his nepotistic choice for OC. He watched his DC get romped over by pretty much everybody we lined up against and didn't do a damned thing. He followed this tampon pizza of a season by not heaving anybody over the side and keeping on with what clearly isn't working. A losing season next year will have many calling for his head, and rightly so.
Good stuff. Although, Like a crazy ex, you’ve latched onto Briles, he’s your focus at all times.

Limey Frog

I suspect that if we are sub-.500 again next year TCU will e where Baylor is now: Sonny might be told to make some staff changes and given another year at least, but I doubt that two losing years is all it takes to get canned after you played for a national title. Anyway, hopefully we won't find out which of us is right here. Let's win 10+ games and make the question moot.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
I suspect that if we are sub-.500 again next year TCU will e where Baylor is now: Sonny might be told to make some staff changes and given another year at least, but I doubt that two losing years is all it takes to get canned after you played for a national title. Anyway, hopefully we won't find out which of us is right here. Let's win 10+ games and make the question moot.
Sonny has been coaching in college for 14 years. Over that time he's .553.

Only had 2 years where he went 10 or more wins, 2019 at SMU and 2022 at TCU.

9 wins? One year, 2012

8 wins? Three years, 2011, 2015 and 2021

7 wins? One year, 2020

6 wins? Zero

5 wins? Five years.

Never hire a head coach from SMU. Sonny is mediocre. Last year statistically was in the tail of the curve because of Max.