• The KillerFrogs

Fallout from Utah win: Will Big East invite come soon?

sous vide

I would agree they didnt deserve a #5 ranking but they are a top 25 team, probably top 15 and you destroyed them. Anybody who doesnt give you props is discredited right off the bat. It was a very solid win, I know I watched every moment of it.

I prefer to call it a "clinic" more than a "win". :cool:

SF Husky

teh discussion that was going on was for Kansas, K state and Baylor...Missou was in talks with the Big 10 but would have come over if it fell through. I never really heard anything about Iowa St. I personally believe those discussions opened the door to something down the road. Texas will eventually shoot itself in the foot and desroy their own conference. In the end they will get more money and power and solid teams will get screwed. It all comes down to how much the Big East network will pay out. If the estimate that the analysts did does work and we can offer teams about $15 million a year, then we have no worries about the ACC or Big 12 raiding our teams. The SEC is more interested in ACC teams, especially virginia tech and Florida St. Pac 10 isnt a geographic fit. The only one the Big East would need to worry about would be the Big 10. They make much more then we will and we cant stop them, on the other hand, if we do make $15 million a year, its our turn to raid the ACC. Remember their contract is only $12.9 and it is locked in for 12 years.
Adding teams like TCU, Kansas, K st and Baylor to get to 14 will only add value to the network. (I personally think Missou will end up in the Big 10 or it could be the SEC along with Texas A&M) I like the additions. TCU is awesome in football. Baylor is ok in football and recent success in Basketball. K and K st are legends in basketball and solid in football. All have good markets and their attendance would put them in the upper levels of the BE.
This is a real possibility. This is what TCU needs to be thinking about. Who cares about everything else that has been said on this thread. TCU adds strength, value and class to the Big East and with either the new tv contract or network TCU will be making at least $12 million a year and have an AQ. An extra $10 million a year makes the BE a very attractive partner...the AQ is pretty nice too!

I have no problem with IOWA ST. They got solid fans. They got great academics and their fans travel,

I spent a good deal of time discussing the possibility of going to the BE on their board when the B12 crap was going down. Most of the fans were great and they love the idea of going to the BE unlike the delusional bunch here. I never ever realize how arrogant and delusional some fans here are. Those guys are in the BCS conference at that time already and they think adding them and the Kansas schools plus Mizzou would turn the BE into a solid conference. Most of them are sick of being 3rd class citizen in the Bevo conference. TCU fans in the meantime think MWC is better place. Good luck with that.

Some of the TCU fans really need a reality check. TCU is having a great year. They would add value to the BE with the DFW market. Some fans here act like they would save the BE in anything LOL. End of the day, BE does not need TCU. It is still a small private school located in a state dominated by Bevo and A&M.

BABYFACE

Medlin I don't agree with everything you say, and you don't agree with everything I said, but were not to far apart. I would love to have TCU join the Big East in all sports. TCU will decline a FB only offer. TCU also wants to know the Big East plan moving forward. You want your athletics program to be a part of plan with vision. As us at TCU found out when the SWC disbanded, nothing is forever and today's climate in CFB is ever changing. Plus, if a FB program or a conference is not moving forward, it could find itself disbanded or looking in from the outside very quickly.

We learned this past Summer when the Big 12 nearly collapsed, the MWC was trying to figure who to offer from the soon to be defunct Big 12 that didn't go to the PAC 16. UTah and BYU were still part of the MWC with Boise already invited. Both Kansas schools were mentioned as possible invitees. Baylor was begging. Then UT screwed the PAC or the initation process that would brought them 6 Big 12 teams and thus the Big 12 is now 10 team conference minus Colorado and Nebraska. If the PAC 16 would have happened, the Big 10 was going to 16 and The big east was dead center on their radar. The Big East and Big 12 might have been lame duck BCS conferences this season with them disbanding in 2011 and the MWC looked like it was going to get autobid status in 2011. I have no doubt the bIg East basketball schools would have stayed together as a conference but BCS and FB would have been gone. My point is this isn't a what if fantasy played out in my mind, but what nearly came to pass this past Summer.

TCU fans are not against the Big East, we just ddon't want to hear the bragging from some of the Big East fans from schools that their FB program is no where near TCU, past or present. That is what irritated me and others.

Longfrog

I have no problem with IOWA ST. They got solid fans. They got great academics and their fans travel,

I spent a good deal of time discussing the possibility of going to the BE on their board when the B12 crap was going down. Most of the fans were great and they love the idea of going to the BE unlike the delusional bunch here. I never ever realize how arrogant and delusional some fans here are. Those guys are in the BCS conference at that time already and they think adding them and the Kansas schools plus Mizzou would turn the BE into a solid conference. Most of them are sick of being 3rd class citizen in the Bevo conference. TCU fans in the meantime think MWC is better place. Good luck with that.

Some of the TCU fans really need a reality check. TCU is having a great year. They would add value to the BE with the DFW market. Some fans here act like they would save the BE in anything LOL. End of the day, BE does not need TCU. It is still a small private school located in a state dominated by Bevo and A&M.

Great, you don't need TCU. Why are you still here?

SF Husky

SF can anyone delusional is funny. Pot meet kettle.

Right. yeah I am the delusional one LOL. Can you btw, point to any post that I or other BE fans have bragged about our football team? If anything, it was responding to bunch of clueless posters that bash the BE while knowing nothing about the BE. This is about conference affiliation dude. I came here a couple of days ago to post an article written in the CT about TCU. There were a few BE posters here already. I don't recall anyone bashing TCU as a football program. What I got back were plenty of bashing from TCU about the BE. Some of your fans act like you are too good to be in the BE LOL. That's delusional. I gonna guess your admin is about 100000x more smarter than some of the fans on this forum. I am sure they will accept whatever BE offers in a sec. Frankly, I am not 100% that offer will ever come if BE admin read this forum.

sous vide

... TCU also wants to know the Big East plan moving forward. You want your athletics program to be a part of plan with vision. As us at TCU found out when the SWC disbanded, nothing is forever and today's climate in CFB is ever changing...

Agreed. One thing that has differentiated TCU from many, many other schools for around 2 decades now in athletics is very strong forward thinking and putting in place long term plans on the part of the board of trustees that are proactive rather than reactive. While I would love an (all sports) invite from the BE as well, I would really like to know that the schools there share a vision. To be honest, I don't see it at the moment and this is more than a bit worrisome. It's no favor to anyone on the inside or the outside to add another disparate voice to an already fractured group. Well unless it's to be part of an orderly split into two parts that do share the same general futures. This is a possibility too, of course.

But in the end, I'm not the one the BE needs to impress. Our board will make a decision, and I am dead certain--given their experiences of the past while--that they will look very, very closely at this precise issue.

ZeeFrog

seriously, the b.e. is asking this school to join their
powerhouse band of FB schools. villanova with a 12,500
seat stadium. woohoo cant wait to play there.

villanova-stadium-duncan-pearson.jpg

nova? come on ask Temple to join the b.e..
then you could really disco!

Coach Pattersons Dog

This is the most worthless thread I've seen in a long time. If offered we will join only if we see it in our best interest. This will be handled by our administration and the BE adminstrators not by any of us. We have opinions but we aren't in a position to make the decision. So as far as I'm concerned mine is bigger.

Right. yeah I am the delusional one LOL. Can you btw, point to any post that I or other BE fans have bragged about our football team? If anything, it was responding to bunch of clueless posters that bash the BE while knowing nothing about the BE. This is about conference affiliation dude. I came here a couple of days ago to post an article written in the CT about TCU. There were a few BE posters here already. I don't recall anyone bashing TCU as a football program. What I got back were plenty of bashing from TCU about the BE. Some of your fans act like you are too good to be in the BE LOL. That's delusional. I gonna guess your admin is about 100000x more smarter than some of the fans on this forum. I am sure they will accept whatever BE offers in a sec. Frankly, I am not 100% that offer will ever come if BE admin read this forum.

When you started that "dude" and "LOL" crap, we do realize you are trying to be uppity and nasty. Your point is well taken; now just go away. LOL dude

Cougar/Frog

Most of our Big East visitors really seem to lack any true understanding of their standing in the college football world. Sure, the Big East has its AQ status (at least until after the 2013 season when it is up for evaluation yet again, with numbers only from the 2010-2013 seasons), but it is the most ridiculed conference in the country (along with the ACC just behind). ESPN has it closer to CUSA than the WAC in the conference ratings and at least CUSA has a ranked team. When a three or four loss Big East team goes to a BCS bowl this year, it will again be held up to ridicule and most likely will be the last team picked.

The Big East and the ACC are poster children for why the BCS is a farce that should be replaced by a playoff. The nation has seen ESPN pimp its home conference over and over again, only to see the Big East fall apart yet again. LOL, but USF actually got to No. 2 based upon ESPN hype, but the Bulls have still never finished in the top 25 in a final AP or coaches poll. Oh, and that hyping of Rutgers a few years ago was just as pathetic.

So, given a perfect world, TCU would have little desire to play in the Big East. It was never TCU's choice to be left behind by Texas and co. when Texas killed the SWC (the SWC could have expanded instead of being killed by Texas).

And yet some Big East supporters come in and talk about the Big East is just great and doing great things and really does not need TCU......the problem is you and I and everyone knows this is complete B.S. The Big East needs TCU so it can regain some legitimacy in the eyes of the college football world. The Big East needs TCU's huge home market.

Now, I would gladly support a full-membership invitation into the Big East given the current college football landscape. I would have reservations, but I think it would work out over all. I have always liked Pitt and its history. WV has been around for awhile. I remember when Syracuse was good. As for the rest.... L'ville was ok for a little while, I guess. Again, while the conference has problems, it would be a nice change for TCU, especially with BYU and Utah gone and Boise, Fresno, and Nevada coming into the MWC.

Full membership is good. Anything else is a disrespectful slap in the face to TCU.

And while I know that the Big East needs to fix its many, many problems and resolve its basketball/football divide. I question whether the Big East has enough vision to actually build the conference.

So, please don't come in here pretending that the Big East does not need TCU. Don't pretend that Nova moving up is not a huge downgrade to Big East football. I don't want TCU to join the Big East if Nova is moving up. Either commit entirely to football or stop pretending.

Either go to 12/20 or drop a few of the bad basketball schools. Just don't pretend that the Big East is sooooo superior to the MWC.... we, and the rest of the conference, know better.

mtmedlin

Medlin I don't agree with everything you say, and you don't agree with everything I said, but were not to far apart. I would love to have TCU join the Big East in all sports. TCU will decline a FB only offer. TCU also wants to know the Big East plan moving forward. You want your athletics program to be a part of plan with vision. As us at TCU found out when the SWC disbanded, nothing is forever and today's climate in CFB is ever changing. Plus, if a FB program or a conference is not moving forward, it could find itself disbanded or looking in from the outside very quickly.

We learned this past Summer when the Big 12 nearly collapsed, the MWC was trying to figure who to offer from the soon to be defunct Big 12 that didn't go to the PAC 16. UTah and BYU were still part of the MWC with Boise already invited. Both Kansas schools were mentioned as possible invitees. Baylor was begging. Then UT screwed the PAC or the initation process that would brought them 6 Big 12 teams and thus the Big 12 is now 10 team conference minus Colorado and Nebraska. If the PAC 16 would have happened, the Big 10 was going to 16 and The big east was dead center on their radar. The Big East and Big 12 might have been lame duck BCS conferences this season with them disbanding in 2011 and the MWC looked like it was going to get autobid status in 2011. I have no doubt the bIg East basketball schools would have stayed together as a conference but BCS and FB would have been gone. My point is this isn't a what if fantasy played out in my mind, but what nearly came to pass this past Summer.

TCU fans are not against the Big East, we just don't want to hear the bragging from some of the Big East fans from schools that their FB program is no where near TCU, past or present. That is what irritated me and others.

I defnitely get ya. TCU has gotten screwed in the past and left out because of Politics. Trust me, I think that alone makes you worthy of being in the Big East. You have to have thick skin to play here. We get disrespected at every turn. If we win a BCS bowl, its always because the other conference was having a down year. There is no winning these arguement.
With a network in place, it not only makes the BE lucrative but makes it hard to raid. When we brought in Commisoner Tagliabue, we brought in a man with experience and vision. I truly believe that we will offer TCU a full invite and it will be accepted because a well defined vision has been in creation for a couple years now. Anything else would be disrespect. Its not a matter of if we will end up seperating from the basketball schools, its a matter of when and I dont see it happening fast. Alot of the Big East silence I believe is positioning and stalling. Our future lies with us making more money and keeping our teams. From everything I am hearing, the Big 10 isnt expanding soon. They value tradition more then just about any other league. I grew up in Indiana and watched the Big 10 my entire life. In over 30 years of watching, only two teams have been added...Penn St and now Nebraska. They only add AAU teams which means they will take Rutgers, Cuse or Pitt. If we lost all three, it would hurt but not a death blow.

What gets interesting is when we get that network. If it makes more money then the ACC, then it will be the ACC and Big 12 that will fall apart before us. Remember that it will be the SEC that goes after the ACC teams. Its no secret that the SEC asked Texas A&M to join. If they expand to 14 teams then they might offer Missou, or they might go to 16 and will take Florida St and Virginia tech. These are the two teams that will make the most money for them. Georgia tech would be a good addition BUT Georgia is adamently against it. The Big 10 has looked at Maryland and is commonly brought up as a possible addition. Just before Nebraska was added, it was reported that it would be Rutgers and Maryland along with Nebraska. The Big 10 would then wait to see if they could get Notre Dame and then add 1 other.
If the Big East gets its network up and running, it will be a pay cut to go to the ACC from the BE. If the Big 10 takes 1 or 2 ACC and the SEC takes anywhere from 1 to 3 teams, it would severly weaken them. That would be a prime opportunity for the Big East to go after teams like Miami and Boston College. Everything is about timing. If I am the ACC, I act now but I doubt they will and it may be to late. The Big East will be collecting prospectives to give to TCU and others to show what ESPN and others are initially saying they will pay. If that number is equal to the ACC, which it has been mentioned it will be, then I doubt anybody would pay a $5million exit fee just to make the same amount.

Lasltly, there is a provision that if new teams of value are added to our league then a new contract may be negotiated early. Personally, I think the number 3 team in the nation, within a top 5 DMA adds value. I read somewhere that TCU doesnt have to pay an exit fee but what I dont know is if you have to give a 1 year notice. If not, I dont see why a new tv contract cant be negotiated and TCU join the Big East IN ALL SPORTS next year. Does anybody know the MWC rules of Leaving???

Trelvis

If all the Big East fans are like the ones visiting this board, maybe I really dont want TCU in the Big East. Jeez.

WVUFan

Most of our Big East visitors really seem to lack any true understanding of their standing in the college football world. Sure, the Big East has its AQ status (at least until after the 2013 season when it is up for evaluation yet again, with numbers only from the 2010-2013 seasons), but it is the most ridiculed conference in the country (along with the ACC just behind). ESPN has it closer to CUSA than the WAC in the conference ratings and at least CUSA has a ranked team. When a three or four loss Big East team goes to a BCS bowl this year, it will again be held up to ridicule and most likely will be the last team picked.

The Big East and the ACC are poster children for why the BCS is a farce that should be replaced by a playoff. The nation has seen ESPN pimp its home conference over and over again, only to see the Big East fall apart yet again. LOL, but USF actually got to No. 2 based upon ESPN hype, but the Bulls have still never finished in the top 25 in a final AP or coaches poll. Oh, and that hyping of Rutgers a few years ago was just as pathetic.

So, given a perfect world, TCU would have little desire to play in the Big East. It was never TCU's choice to be left behind by Texas and co. when Texas killed the SWC (the SWC could have expanded instead of being killed by Texas).

And yet some Big East supporters come in and talk about the Big East is just great and doing great things and really does not need TCU......the problem is you and I and everyone knows this is complete B.S. The Big East needs TCU so it can regain some legitimacy in the eyes of the college football world. The Big East needs TCU's huge home market.

Now, I would gladly support a full-membership invitation into the Big East given the current college football landscape. I would have reservations, but I think it would work out over all. I have always liked Pitt and its history. WV has been around for awhile. I remember when Syracuse was good. As for the rest.... L'ville was ok for a little while, I guess. Again, while the conference has problems, it would be a nice change for TCU, especially with BYU and Utah gone and Boise, Fresno, and Nevada coming into the MWC.

Full membership is good. Anything else is a disrespectful slap in the face to TCU.

And while I know that the Big East needs to fix its many, many problems and resolve its basketball/football divide. I question whether the Big East has enough vision to actually build the conference.

So, please don't come in here pretending that the Big East does not need TCU. Don't pretend that Nova moving up is not a huge downgrade to Big East football. I don't want TCU to join the Big East if Nova is moving up. Either commit entirely to football or stop pretending.

Either go to 12/20 or drop a few of the bad basketball schools. Just don't pretend that the Big East is sooooo superior to the MWC.... we, and the rest of the conference, know better.

I understand that the BE is not the greatest out their and ESPN never had much affinity for us since Miami and VT left. The BE lack CONSISTENCY. The conference has had some wonderful teams in its recent seasons but coaches left after the regular season or in the middle. Lville lost their coach to the Atlanta Falcons and he is now in Arkansas. Cinci Lost Kelly to ND and WVU lost their coach to MIch

I make the statement that the BE is not the worst conference and are in no danger of looking their AQ status because of the fact that the BE is tied for 4th with the PAC 10 in 2of the 3 BSC AQ qualifier requirements that the BCS released this summer ACC was 6 7 in those two specific fields

The BE though not showing it this season is better than the ACC and is not in trouble of losing their bid.

Yes USF has not finished in the top 25 but that is not why they were brought into the BE. Many BE schools recruit alot in FL and they needed a team locked in FL to help recruiting.

For all the Talk that the BE is unstable, well the only stable conferences or the B10 SEC, and Pac 12 ( mainly because there is only 1 BCS conference that far west.) who would have thought that the B12 would be close to disaster and the acc would have been swallowed up SEC and the BE

mtmedlin

I am tired of debating if we need you or not because the debate changes on a persons definition. Could we use another good team...yes. Is the BCS system a farce...yes. Are we in danger of losing the AQ...NO. Therefore, we dont need TCU. With that said, we want TCU and until the BCS farce is killed, TCU needs the AQ that the BE has. Your one bad game from going bowling in the yearly "Who Gives a Crap Bowl". We mutually benefit and I agree that anything less then a full invite is an insult.

To address one more issue I keep seeing...NOVA DOESNT HAVE TO BE ASKED TO MOVE UP! THEY ARE AN ORIGINAL MEMBER AND HAVE THE RIGHT TO MOVE UP. Do I think its a downgrade...NO. UConn has done well with moving up and in time, i see them continuing to improve and become a power. Nova can do the same thing. Wouldnt you like to be in a conference that has enough loyalty to give their own teams a chance. I think its admirable and not something to be ashamed of. Also, We cant just kick teams out. Remember the conference is run by the presidents of the Universities. The conference works for them. A super majority of the members would have to decide to ask someone to leave...the conference cant do it becaue they work for those that would be asked to leave. It is rumored that if Seton Hall doesnt step up and hire an AD and spend money on their sports that they will be told that the A10 is a better conference for them.

BABYFACE

Medlin,

I think if invited and TCU accepted, it wouldn't be before 2012. With BYU and Utah gone in 2011 and Boise coming in the same year, the MWC will be at 8 teams until 2012 when Fresno ST and Nevada join the MWC. An arbitrator in the WAC suit ruled that FSU and Nevada would have to remain in the WAC for the 2011 season. Thus, if TCU left in 2011, THE MWC would be down to 7 teams, and I don't see TCU doing that to the MWC. Assuming if TCU goes to the Big East, TCU leaving for the 2012 season, the MWC would have 9 teams. Again, I don't see TCU crapping on the MWC like BYU did when it comes to departure.

As for Tagliabue, good move by the Big East. He does have vision.

I guess for now, it is a wait see thing. I think for a full invite, that might take some time and it could be Spring before annything happens. However, the Big East could just decide not to offer an all sports invite and TCU rumors to the Big East die. Time will tell.

purpleshades

TCU in or out is fine with me either way. BE gonna grow by 2 and there will be others.

This decade? Are you sure? WVU's wins over UGA in Sugar Bowl and OU in Fiesta Bowl is better than anything TCU has done. UL had some great years when Petrino was there and I am pretty sure they done pretty well against TCU when both of you were in the CUSA. When was the last time TCU won a BCS bowl? I don't even remember. That's pretty big statement and I doubt too many people will agree with you.
Yea, we were 4-1 against UL when we were both in C-USA.