• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

kidkarr

You would think so, but I bet Iowa St. is favored. Purdy is good, Montgomery is still there, and they have good wide outs @ 6'4" and SUPPOSEDLY, their defense this year will be comparable to ours. This is NOT the old Iowa St. It would be hard for us to make a long drive late in the 4th. quarter to win with a game manager.
Not Unless they had two Montgomery guys, because the very good running back is no longer there. Chicago Bears 3rd round pick.

netty2424

4th. down

so if you don't see sonny as an oc, don't see a quarterback who can make the plays needed to win game, and feel we have to find a win to win with minimal dependence on the defense than this team is scheissed and that all is at the feet of the man who runs the program gary patterson.

sonny doesn't need to be paul brown, bill walsh, or any other offensive genius. he just needs to be smart enough to build an offense around the strength of the unit which is the offensive line.

he needs to find a quarterback who can consistently make the basic throws, and he needs to feed this playmakers.

as i said if sonny isn't capable that isn't merely on sonny, but gary as well. if however, sonny can do that big things are potentially in play for this team and since i have absolutely no control over any of this i will hope for the best until i see otherwise.

oh...and ignore the practice reports any attempts to read the tcu football tea leaves

I'm definitely with you on the practice reports, let's wait for game performance and that brings me back to Bram and Ballard who were very good when the lights came on.

Eight

You would think so, but I bet Iowa St. is favored. Purdy is good, Montgomery is still there, and they have good wide outs @ 6'4" and SUPPOSEDLY, their defense this year will be comparable to ours. This is NOT the old Iowa St. It would be hard for us to make a long drive late in the 4th. quarter to win with a game manager.

david montgomery is off to the nfl, butler is off to the nfl, purdy is back, their top 3 returning receivers are 5'10", 5'10", and 6'

https://cyclones.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

they have a talented defense, they are well coached, they don't make mistakes, they have some young taller receivers, and there is no need to worry about things that aren't they and focus beyond what can be controlled.

Frog-in-law1995

There’s quite a difference between “you won’t beat Iowa State in Ames” and “I bet Iowa State is favored.”

4th. down

david montgomery is off to the nfl, butler is off to the nfl, purdy is back, their top 3 returning receivers are 5'10", 5'10", and 6'

https://cyclones.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

they have a talented defense, they are well coached, they don't make mistakes, they have some young taller receivers, and there is no need to worry about things that aren't they and focus beyond what can be controlled.

Coach Campbell is real high on his new receivers at 6'6", 6'4" and 6'3". Why some of the forum members think this is a gimmie game is hard to believe.

CountryFrog

I’m pretty sure whether they actually start the guy that is the best and gives us the best chance to win is exactly what folks are worried about. We see Bama, Clemson, and UGA all finally succumbing to talent and playing true freshman QBs and going to the playoffs. If Duggan is the best player hopefully we will have the guts to start a true freshman too. The times they are a changing.
List all of the instances where TCU chose to sit a freshman QB just because he was a freshman, but was actually clearly the better player over the actual starter.

4th. down

There’s quite a difference between “you won’t beat Iowa State in Ames” and “I bet Iowa State is favored.”

Strange, I don't see it, can you elaborate for the unskilled? I was responding to your analysis that Iowa St. is a very winnable game, which it is, but it won't be easy, and no, we won't be favored.

CountryFrog

Coach Campbell is real high on his new receivers at 6'6", 6'4" and 6'3". Why some of the forum members think this is a gimmie game is hard to believe.
So you've gone from "won't win in Ames" to "I bet they'll be favored" to now just saying it won't be a gimme.

If you keep backpedaling you'll have Iowa St off the schedule and out of the Big 12 by September.

Edit: And now in a recent post above you say it's winnable but won't be easy. Which is clearly true but a long way from "won't win in Ames" and likely no different than 99% of the opinions on this board about that game.

Eight

great, but i am not sure i saw anyone say isu was going to be a gimmie.

additionally, respect of opponents is good, but i think it is easy to build up opponents and downplay the home town team.

things is, until the games start in august it is all speculation.

SuperBarrFrog

List all of the instances where TCU chose to sit a freshman QB just because he was a freshman, but was actually clearly the better player over the actual starter.

I’m not at the practices so I can’t tell you that. I know we’ve never had guys before with the upside of Duggan, and I know Patterson has never started a true freshman QB. If he is the best player I just hope that changes. Trends are moving into guys playing younger in all sports.

4th. down

So you've gone from "won't win in Ames" to "I bet they'll be favored" to now just saying it won't be a gimme.

If you keep backpedaling you'll have Iowa St off the schedule and out of the Big 12 by September.

Edit: And now in a recent post above you say it's winnable but won't be easy. Which is clearly true but a long way from "won't win in Ames" and likely no different than 99% of the opinions on this board about that game.

That's not what I said at all.............I repeat, Iowa St. will be favored in that game. Now, what does that mean?

4th. down

great, but i am not sure i saw anyone say isu was going to be a gimmie.

additionally, respect of opponents is good, but i think it is easy to build up opponents and downplay the home town team.

things is, until the games start in august it is all speculation.

True, and speculation abounds, on here and 247 and I know several don't give a damn about what goes on over on 247 but the majority thought is Delton will not start our first conference game. If he's not injured, i believe he will start, especially if we are undefeated at that point.

CountryFrog

I’m not at the practices so I can’t tell you that. I know we’ve never had guys before with the upside of Duggan, and I know Patterson has never started a true freshman QB. If he is the best player I just hope that changes. Trends are moving into guys playing younger in all sports.
Pachall, Boykin, Robinson, Rogers have all been reported to have the same kind of upside as Duggan. Hell, many on here were incensed that Tyler Matthews and Foster Sawyer weren't getting more PT at one time due to their reported upside.

You're right, we're not at practices which is completely my point. The coaches are there, have way more information on these guys than any of us ever will, and there's no actual instance that I can think of where GP actually kept a QB on the bench just because he was a freshman. So any worry that anyone has that it will happen this year seems to be based on nothing but random and general GP quotes regarding not wanting to play true freshmen QBs. Which is something that no coach in the history of football WANTS to do when speaking in vague generalities.

netty2424

ISU should be really good. They lost their two “best players,” but I agree with you. They have some dudes that have returning production. Their wide receiver core is projecting to be pretty salty.

SuperBarrFrog

Pachall, Boykin, Robinson, Rogers have all been reported to have the same kind of upside as Duggan. Hell, many on here were incensed that Tyler Matthews and Foster Sawyer weren't getting more PT at one time due to their reported upside.

You're right, we're not at practices which is completely my point. The coaches are there, have way more information on these guys than any of us ever will, and there's no actual instance that I can think of where GP actually kept a QB on the bench just because he was a freshman. So any worry that anyone has that it will happen this year seems to be based on nothing but random and general GP quotes regarding not wanting to play true freshmen QBs. Which is something that no coach in the history of football WANTS to do when speaking in vague generalities.

Are you a member of the coaching staff or something? You seem weirdly offended with the idea that coaches might ever make the wrong decision. Also, none of the previous QBs you stated were as highly rated as Duggan, and nobody was starting true freshman back then. Settle down, it’s just offseason talk.

Eight

name me one time during gary's tenure as a head coach at tcu when he had a freshman quarterback who was the best quarterback on the roster?

was tye gunn better than stilley in 2002?

was marcus jackson better than ballard in 2005?

was andy dalton better than jackson or ballard in 2006?

was casey better than andy? trevone better than casey?

we point to the gary's past and say he has never done it, but can we ever find a situation in gary's 19 years where he truly might have a better true freshman?

Last edited: