• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

netty2424

I’m 110% expecting it to be Delton on Saturday and Purdue. If it’s close at all, Patterson should use it on the grad transfer and try to save a redshirt for Duggan. Let Duggan get stronger and hopefully if Rogers doesn’t transfer he can be healthy next year for a 3 man race with Duggan and Baldwin
Collins will be a Senior next year. If healthy, he’ll compete.

4th. down

Collins will be a Senior next year. If healthy, he’ll compete.

Baldwin's Hudl highlight tape for his sr. season does not show him much of a runner, nor is Collins. From the film, it would appear that Baldwin and Collins game is very similar.

GP has moved more and more to mobile QBs since he was trying to defend Mayfield and Murray, which would be Duggan for next year. Rogers, he is going to have a tough go here based on a preferred QB mobility issue. It appears that Duggan is our QB for the next several years.

Moose Stuff

Baldwin's Hudl highlight tape for his sr. season does not show him much of a runner, nor is Collins. From the film, it would appear that Baldwin and Collins game is very similar.

GP has moved more and more to mobile QBs since he was trying to defend Mayfield and Murray, which would be Duggan for next year. Rogers, he is going to have a tough go here based on a preferred QB mobility issue. It appears that Duggan is our QB for the next several years.

Collins is by no means a running QB but I thought he ran fine last year when he had to. I agree about Duggan and have since I first watched his film.

Froggish

Doesn’t make since in today’s college football to redshirt any player who can contribute right away. If you have the playing time available and a guy is your best option it’s stupid to sit him for a year. Maybe the most profound change I’ve seen in big time CFB is that at the Skills positions, there really isn’t much if any performance difference between an incoming Freshman and a redshirt Freshman. The best way to get a player improving is to teach him well and get him as many reps as possible.

Wexahu

Doesn’t make since in today’s college football to redshirt any player who can contribute right away. If you have the playing time available and a guy is your best option it’s stupid to sit him for a year. Maybe the most profound change I’ve seen in big time CFB is that at the Skills positions, there really isn’t much if any performance difference between an incoming Freshman and a redshirt Freshman. The best way to get a player improving is to teach him well and get him as many reps as possible.

Amen. Not to mention in today's college football world virtually every 5th year senior is essentially an unrestricted free agent, or at least can become one if they are still a little short of graduating by cramming in some summer courses.

If Duggan is really good he's not going to be here in 2023 anyway, he'll be in the NFL. If he's the best option we have he needs to play, that goes for every player at every position.

SuperBarrFrog

Completely agree. I don’t understand why everyone is so obsessed with redshirts.

Froggish

Completely agree. I don’t understand why everyone is so obsessed with redshirts.

A guy can either contribute or he can't..That should be the only determinate if a guy should redshirt.

Does anyone really think a year of sitting on the bench staring at the game from sidelines is going to make Duggan that much better next year? He's been on campus now for 6 months...I think he knows where study hall is and how to find the locker.s. I'm not saying he should be our starter because I don't at this point know if he's better then any of the other guys...BUT if he is.... You Play The Kid.

Wexahu

I think it's mostly that people are stuck in the old mindset that if you redshirt a kid, he's going to be better in years 2-5 than in years 1-4. New transfer rules and more and more kids leaving early to the NFL has obviously changed all that. Kids will redshirt themselves by not being ready or capable of contributing or getting injured, no sense in going into a season focused on holding a kid out.

Froggish

I think it's mostly that people are stuck in the old mindset that if you redshirt a kid, he's going to be better in years 2-5 than in years 1-4. New transfer rules and more and more kids leaving early to the NFL has obviously changed all that. Kids will redshirt themselves by not being ready or capable of contributing or getting injured, no sense in going into a season focused on holding a kid out.

I'm pretty sure the quicker a guy is playing, facing adversity, and getting reps is the only way he's better years 2-5..

Ron Swanson

The difference that matters isn’t between a true freshman and a redshirt freshman, it’s between a true freshman and a 5th year senior.

You’re playing years 2, 3, and 4 in the system no matter what. The question is whether you play year 1 or year 5.

Moose Stuff

The difference that matters isn’t between a true freshman and a redshirt freshman, it’s between a true freshman and a 5th year senior.

You’re playing years 2, 3, and 4 in the system no matter what. The question is whether you play year 1 or year 5.

For an example of what Ron is getting at consider the difference between freshman LJ Collier and RS SR LJ Collier.

Ron Swanson

A guy can either contribute or he can't..That should be the only determinate if a guy should redshirt.

Does anyone really think a year of sitting on the bench staring at the game from sidelines is going to make Duggan that much better next year? He's been on campus now for 6 months...I think he knows where study hall is and how to find the locker.s. I'm not saying he should be our starter because I don't at this point know if he's better then any of the other guys...BUT if he is.... You Play The Kid.
Again, it’s not about making him better next year. It’s about whether or not he’s more valuable to you right now or in 2023 when he would potentially be a 3 year returning starter.

Imagine we have a stacked team returning in 2023, and we are either returning 5th year senior Max Duggan under center, or we are in the same position we are today because Max already graduated because he played sparingly in 6 games and helped lead the 2019 team to a 7-5 or 8-4 record. Everyone would be wishing like hell we hadn’t burned his redshirt for no damned reason in 2019.

I’m not arguing to redshirt him. I’m just stating that the argument isn’t as simple as many on here are making it out to be.

Eight

i agree and this is where some kids really benefit from that fifth year to develop.

not always physically, some players take time to adjust to school, the campus, being away from home and struggle really participating in the program at a level to get the maximum benefit.

these are the perfect candidates for being red-shirt, but take a kid like jalen reagor or corey bethley. if you could keep either in the program from five years it would be a benefit to the program, but reagor has the type of talent that makes a jump to the nfl a very real possibility and the frogs did not have the depth at defensive tackle to sit corey for a year.

Ron Swanson

Obviously if Max is our best QB and he would be our starter, you play him.

I’m just saying if Delton is our starter, don’t burn Max’s redshirt just to get him a little extra playing time here and there.

tetonfrog

Unless, he is a flat out stud, I would prefer to redshirt most young OL. I've always noticed that great teams have some 5th-year senior OL. They are always nice and rare around FW.

Outside of that, if a frosh can help, GP will play him. Period.