• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

4th. down

In the Slots - Barber and D. Davis. Some serious speed in these 2 slots, got to get the ball to them (need a passer to step up). There is no way a LB can cover each one, especially D. Davis (4.36/40 and 48.44/400, 4th. fastest in US).

This running threat by the QB is great and all that but we need someone who can throw the ball on target, releasing the ball before the break. With Reagor and Barkley (10.4/100) on the outside and Barber and D. Davis inside, it's rather obvious what needs to be done. We have major speed at these 4 positions, got to focus on it and start spinning it.

Wexahu

In the Slots - Barber and D. Davis. Some serious speed in these 2 slots, got to get the ball to them (need a passer to step up). There is no way a LB can cover each one, especially D. Davis (4.36/40 and 48.44/400, 4th. fastest in US).

This running threat by the QB is great and all that but we need someone who can throw the ball on target, releasing the ball before the break. With Reagor and Barkley (10.4/100) on the outside and Barber and D. Davis inside, it's rather obvious what needs to be done. We have major speed at these 4 positions, got to focus on it and start spinning it.

There is a blocking element too and having 2 small guys in the slot doesn’t do much for the running game. I understand what you’re saying but I wouldn’t mind seeing some bigger guys inside, it’s not all about quickness and speed at WR, especially with our potential running game with Delton at QB.

4th. down

There is a blocking element too and having 2 small guys in the slot doesn’t do much for the running game. I understand what you’re saying but I wouldn’t mind seeing some bigger guys inside, it’s not all about quickness and speed at WR, especially with our potential running game with Delton at QB.

Sure, we need to run the ball EFFECTIVELY, which means we have to block, something we had trouble doing last year.

If you want to break a game open, put a LB on either slot and that slot makes a reception 10 yds. downfield, the potential is there to take it to the house - we need to start scoring points in bunches. Going to Norman and Stillwater, we gotta score and score and score.

Yep, just looked it up. Kyle Kummer started 1 game, against Army in 2004 when Hassell was injured. He was benched after we went down 17-0 and replaced by Hassell. We won 24-17 when Hobbs scored with less than a minute to go.
It was 21-17, but yeah, that was a tough game. I was there too. West Point is beautiful.

Froggish

Yah ...I wonder if we don’t experiment on getting some bigger bodies in the slot by either shifting a TE our or moving an outside guy inside. Can’t show run and run unless you have an elite OL.

It’s pretty apparent that how Cumbie handles 1st and 2nd down will go along way towards our success. The Stats o War article on run vs pass was very telling. Statistically we became offensively inept because we played those early downs way too conservative and became pretty predictable.

Wexahu

Yah ...I wonder if we don’t experiment on getting some bigger bodies in the slot by either shifting a TE our or moving an outside guy inside. Can’t show run and run unless you have an elite OL.

It’s pretty apparent that how Cumbie handles 1st and 2nd down will go along way towards our success. The Stats o War article on run vs pass was very telling. Statistically we became offensively inept because we played those early downs way to conservative and became pretty predictable.

It'd be interesting to see guys like Stephens, A. Davis or Dylan Thomas playing inside, I just think there's a lot of different things you could still do, and the running game would instantly improve. Getting to the second level of the D would be so much easier with a couple other bigger bodies in there to weed out the LBs and safeties. IN the passing game any of those guys lined up against a LB is a matchup I'd take and if the defense goes small, man, just body up on guys and run it down their throats.

CountryFrog

I know there are probably plenty of people looking at that saying "no way TCU should be that high" but how in the world do you have a Nebraska team that was 4-8 last year at 13? And it's not like they've got a recent history of being really good that makes you think that 4-8 season was just an aberration.

And of course, me saying all of this absolutely guarantees that they'll finish with 11 or 12 wins this year.

I know there are probably plenty of people looking at that saying "no way TCU should be that high" but how in the world do you have a Nebraska team that was 4-8 last year at 13? And it's not like they've got a recent history of being really good that makes you think that 4-8 season was just an aberration.

And of course, me saying all of this absolutely guarantees that they'll finish with 11 or 12 wins this year.
This time of year, it's all pretty meaningless to me. I have my doubts about a number of teams on his list. Get to around mid October and it starts to sort itself out.

Ron Swanson

This time of year, it's all pretty meaningless to me. I have my doubts about a number of teams on his list. Get to around mid October and it starts to sort itself out.
I’ve gotten to where....

A. I don’t pay near enough attention to who is returning on every team (or what new players are supposed to make an impact).
B. My memory sucks now, so half the time I don’t even remember who was actually good the year before. For instance, you could’ve told me Nebraska was 8-4 last year instead of 4-8 and I wouldn’t have batted an eye. I don’t remember a bleeping thing about their season.

So my opinion of these polls these days is that I’m sure these voters are wrong on 80% of their picks, but why the hell do I think I might know better than them? I’m sure I know more about TCU than them, but then again I’m also very biased about them, so who really knows.

Last edited:

Froggish

Arizona QB Tate gave me flash backs to SRob and our Chuck or Tuck offense last year...I know we want to get more vertical but lawd help us if our scheme turns into QB runs, screens and close your eyes and muscle it deep down the sidelines. There was a moment where I genuinely thought I was watching the Frogs...Not sure who the play caller is for Zona but he’s got to be best friends with Cumbie.

Eight

Arizona QB Tate gave me flash backs to SRob and our Chuck or Tuck offense last year...I know we want to get more vertical but lawd help us if our scheme turns into QB runs, screens and close your eyes and muscle it deep down the sidelines. There was a moment where I genuinely thought I was watching the Frogs...Not sure who the play caller is for Zona but he’s got to be best friends with Cumbie.

noel mazzone who was with sumlin at atm and is one of these guys with a reputation of being creative, innovative, and a developer of quarterbacks but never stays anywhere for an extended period of time.

coached at tcu when wacker dumped the veer and has bumped around a number of schools. he must interview really, really well because his track record is the same everywhere.

ags i know say he never really developed any type of offense and i think that is why you see the resemblance in the tcu offense last year. mazzone is from that school of using tempo and reads at the line, but nothing that really builds an offensive scheme.

Froggish

noel mazzone who was with sumlin at atm and is one of these guys with a reputation of being creative, innovative, and a developer of quarterbacks but never stays anywhere for an extended period of time.

coached at tcu when wacker dumped the veer and has bumped around a number of schools. he must interview really, really well because his track record is the same everywhere.

ags i know say he never really developed any type of offense and i think that is why you see the resemblance in the tcu offense last year. mazzone is from that school of using tempo and reads at the line, but nothing that really builds an offensive scheme.

It was tough to watch...Tate just looks like a really bad fit in that system. similar to TCU with Hill and Robinson, it looked like they had pre determined they were going to be vertical without even considering the talents of their QB. At some point you have to recognize who your guy is and modify your philosophy to fit his talents

Froggish

Curious if we are going to have any players, not just QBs, hit the portal once that depth chart drops..

Do you think it’s playing a role in why coaches are waiting longer and longer to announce actual starters?