• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: What to watch for in first College Football Playoff rankings

Wexahu

Their hard-on for Clemson is, sadly, not surprising. Anyone who expects the Committee not to royally scheiss us hasn’t been paying attention. We can finish 13-0 and they’ll concoct some [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] to exclude us. It’s the “ESPN Blue Blood Invitational.” All others please go scheiss yourselves. Expansion can’t get here soon enough.
dawg, let’s just make a friendly wager. I’ll bet you anything you want, the more the better, that if we finish 13-0 we’ll make the playoffs. Deal?

mc1502

If tOSU were to go into the final week of the year with 1 loss and ranked #3, then beat the brakes off of Minnesota to end the season, I would NEVER expect them to drop to 6 the next week...period. And you KNOW they never would, no matter what we do to KSt in a CCG.
That whole explanation was an excuse. They were going to find a reason to not let a small, non-blue blood school into the playoffs that first year of the playoffs. It was never going to happen for us that year, no matter what.

The Peach Bowl was glorious though. Short of the Rose Bowl, it was my favorite TCU football experience. I still wear the t-shirt I purchased at that game all the time.

Wexahu

If tOSU were to go into the final week of the year with 1 loss and ranked #3, then beat the brakes off of Minnesota to end the season, I would NEVER expect them to drop to 6 the next week...period. And you KNOW they never would, no matter what we do to KSt in a CCG.
They won’t be ranked #3 if they go into the final week with a loss. They’ll be lower than that, and if they don’t play in their CCG, which they most likely won’t, they won’t make the playoffs unless there are fewer than four 1-loss or better conference champions. It’s been that way every year, regardless of the teams involved.

Eight

That whole explanation was an excuse. They were going to find a reason to not let a small, non-blue blood school into the playoffs that first year of the playoffs. It was never going to happen for us that year, no matter what.

The Peach Bowl was glorious though. Short of the Rose Bowl, it was my favorite TCU football experience. I still wear the t-shirt I purchased at that game all the time.

1j9leo.gif

Wexahu

Texas ranked 24th.

Cracking Up Lol GIF
I think it’s funny how when lower 20’s spots go to SEC or B10 teams it’s because the committee wants to make sure schools from those conferences have more wins over ranked teams at the end of the season, but when UT gets supposedly over ranked at #24, there is some other agenda involved. Lol. You think they are trying to position UT to sneak into the Top 4?

froginmn

Fun fact (I believe this is 100% correct): since the CFP came into existence (and with the exception of the [ Finebaum ] show that was 2020), the only teams to finish with fewer losses than a playoff team and not make the playoff are UCF and Western Michigan.

Dogfrog

I think it’s funny how when lower 20’s spots go to SEC or B10 teams it’s because the committee wants to make sure schools from those conferences have more wins over ranked teams at the end of the season, but when UT gets supposedly over ranked at #24, there is some other agenda involved. Lol. You think they are trying to position UT to sneak into the Top 4?
Does help Bama.

Real Frog

Nope, just a hard for the horns.

Wexahu

Fun fact (I believe this is 100% correct): since the CFP came into existence (and with the exception of the [ #2020 ] show that was 2020), the only teams to finish with fewer losses than a playoff team and not make the playoff are UCF and Western Michigan.
I believe this and it’s not at all surprising. Neither of those teams in those years deserved it based on who was on their schedule and resumes they were being compared against. Cincinnati stepped up and played a good OOC and was rewarded.

Dogfrog

Sure. But Bama’s fate is pretty clear, regardless of where UT is ranked. I think it helps TCU more if they can stay ranked. .
Sticking Texas there may be just the impressive 1-pt win over a ranked opponent that keeps Bama above undefeated TCU.

Wexahu

Sticking Texas there may be just the impressive 1-pt win over a ranked opponent that keeps Bama above undefeated TCU.
That’d be a weird argument given we would have beaten them too, at their place, most likely by more than 1. IMO that would benefit us more than Bama.

UT is relatively high in most computer rankings, it’s not all that surprising they are in the Top 25. And my point stands.

Dogfrog

That’d be a weird argument given we would have beaten them too, at their place, most likely by more than 1. IMO that would benefit us more than Bama.

UT is relatively high in most computer rankings, it’s not all that surprising they are in the Top 25. And my point stands.
I was referring to this week, not season end.

dawg

As usual… Klatt is on point.

Clemson is ahead of Michigan because of non-conference schedule? What?! Yes, Michigan played no one in non-con but…Furman and La Tech tip the scales for Clemson? Really? Really?!

Sitting ADs have no business voting in this thing. Are we supposed to trust Boo Carrington (or any other AD) is going to say “you know what? I’m going forgo a few extra million for my athletic department and vote someone other than [school from my conference] into the CFP.”

dawg, let’s just make a friendly wager. I’ll bet you anything you want, the more the better, that if we finish 13-0 we’ll make the playoffs. Deal?
You may be right, and (in the event we go 13-0) I hope you are. I just have zero faith in the people voting for this thing.

CountryFrog

I think the thing that gets overlooked with these committee rankings while everyone is laser focused on who will make the playoff is how they rank 5-15 since their rankings go a long way toward determining who gets into the NY6 games. When I see TCU at 7 here then it not only means we have almost no shot at the playoff without being 13-0 but it also means that if we finish 11-2 but don't win the Big 12 then we may not even make it into a NY6 game. And certainly if we finish 10-3 then we almost definitely won't, just like in 2017.