• The KillerFrogs

Does anyone here use a Chromebook?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Just curious. My laptop is on life support so I am down to using my phone.

I've seen the Chromebooks and was curious about them. I know they aren't as powerful as a regular laptop computer but all I need is email, browsing and an occasional document or spreadsheet

Thanks in advance

What Up Toad

To echo AroundWorldFrog, they're pretty good for what they cost. Only caveat is that they're pretty much worthless without internet. You'll need to either have wifi or hotspot on your phone.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
To echo AroundWorldFrog, they're pretty good for what they cost. Only caveat is that they're pretty much worthless without internet. You'll need to either have wifi or hotspot on your phone.
WiFi I have

I appreciate the input.

Just looking at options and was reading about them. I'd love another Macbook. Mine lasted 10 years but it's fading fast but they are pricey so I'm considering other things

FrogAbroad

Wes (et al) here's a link to a fairly good comparison of Chromebook, Windows and Macbook laptops. As always there are trade-offs among these three, so as others have so correctly commented, first figure out what you want to do with the laptop and go from there. Price IS a significant factor, and there's no benefit in paying for features you can live without. And vice versa.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wes (et al) here's a link to a fairly good comparison of Chromebook, Windows and Macbook laptops. As always there are trade-offs among these three, so as others have so correctly commented, first figure out what you want to do with the laptop and go from there. Price IS a significant factor, and there's no benefit in paying for features you can live without. And vice versa.
Hey thank you!!!

Wife had one she used for watching Netflix and just casual browsing. Now my son uses it to watch his cartoons. Don't know how that thing is still alive but it's hanging on with dear life. My son did a number on it and it won't even shut. Half the screen has lines on it. But for $250 we have gotten our money out of it. It's going on almost 4 years.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wife had one she used for watching Netflix and just casual browsing. Now my son uses it to watch his cartoons. Don't know how that thing is still alive but it's hanging on with dear life. My son did a number on it and it won't even shut. Half the screen has lines on it. But for $250 we have gotten our money out of it. It's going on almost 4 years.
$250. Ain't bad

Pharm Frog

Would y’all recommend a Chromebook over an iPad or similar tablet? I have a good setup with my old iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard but it’s never had the right “feel” to me for anything that requires keyboarding

AroundWorldFrog

Would y’all recommend a Chromebook over an iPad or similar tablet? I have a good setup with my old iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard but it’s never had the right “feel” to me for anything that requires keyboarding
Yea, if you're going to be typing much. I haven't ever been a fan of those BT keyboards either.

MountainFrog

Wes, we are in our second and love it. The reason we got a second was to upgrade once we got our foot in the door. These things just work and never slow down. The two things I’d recommend is get one with a good screen and an sdcard slot if you ever want additional storage. If you use gmail and google drive this thing will shine.

Just curious. My laptop is on life support so I am down to using my phone.

I've seen the Chromebooks and was curious about them. I know they aren't as powerful as a regular laptop computer but all I need is email, browsing and an occasional document or spreadsheet

Thanks in advance

WhatTheFrog

I support Apple products (iPads and iPhones) for the federal government for a living. I hate the damn things. I own a Samsung Android. 'Nuff said.

Apple has gone down the tubes in the last couple of years. They are garbage.

Froglaw

WiFi I have

I appreciate the input.

Just looking at options and was reading about them. I'd love another Macbook. Mine lasted 10 years but it's fading fast but they are pricey so I'm considering other things

I added MIFI to my verizon account. Great choice for traveling.

If I can get a decent cell signal I got secure internet for banking, client documents, downloading movies while traveling, etc.

Just a thought if you're going the non-PC route.