• The KillerFrogs

Dixon Twitter Message

Eight

I would have missed this...

west-virginia-tcu-basketball-fort-worth-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10063687al.jpg

that was actually the straw that broke the negotiations back so to speak.......tcu would drop the buy out only if we got the giant dixon in the divorce

TX_Krötenechse

Time will tell if the negotiations were in our favor.

I dont like a lifetime contract. I dont like that we held to the full buyout. If it had been lowered, he would be gone.

I'm thankful for what he has done for the program, but for his high price tag, I expect more than crapping the bed against Texas in the NIT.

People can have their opinions without thinking we have the worst fanbase.

Sheesh.

He doesn’t have a lifetime contract.

We don’t know anything buyout negotiations, except that they almost certainly weren’t the real stumbling block. Again, if Dixon were their true #1 choice and he was fully on board, they wouldn’t let $8MM stand in the way. Do you think they would’ve let $8MM stop them from hiring Calipari?

Why focus on one loss? At the end of the season, there’s only one champion, and everyone else is on the outside looking in. Fact is, he’s done more for our program in 3 years than anyone has done in twenty years. These things don’t happen overnight.

He’s not perfect and neither was his team, but he deserves more than three seasons - three *good* seasons, let’s not forget - to make his case.

TCUdirtbag

I agree they are higher....but in my opinion all three jobs...ftbl, bball, baseball...at UCLA are each Top 15 jobs in the country.

Football? I don’t know.....I’d put Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Florida, FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tennessee, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska all above UCLA. And more debatable but I’d put Michigan State, Auburn, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington in as more desirable and listen to arguments for quite a few others, too (WVU, Miss State, Miami, maybe others). It’s cool that they play in the Rose Bowl but it’s also weird that they don’t play on campus. It’s not a traditional college football setup. And I’m 33 and don’t remember UCLA ever being all that relevant in CFB.

Basketball I will buy, but only because of history. I’m not sure it’s a top 10 job right now (give me Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and maybe Texas, Florida, Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Arizona)

Baseball is the same as basketball. You can sell me based on their being top 4 out west with stanford, OSU, and CS Fullerton, but their stadium is garbage and the east coast and central programs outspend and out-support UCLA by a mile. The SEC is baseball rich and the ACC and Big 12 have a lot of strength. I get that baseball recruiting is a little more regional (especially southeast US vs west coast) but I’d put a lot of jobs ahead o UCLA because of facilities and financial support.

At the end of the day LA isn’t a college sports town and the west coast is less college sports-y than the southeast, upper Midwest, and flyover country. Sure UCLA has a massive trophy room, but it’s all seemingly outdated and a nice look back at how things used to be...not how they are now.

Paint It Purple

I lost respect for Dixon. IMO, he lacks leadership. He had locker room problems this year. As noted above, he is having to explain to many stakeholders that he is committed to TCU. If he was committed to rebuilding the program, he would have honorably said "Thanks UCLA, but no thanks. I'm committed to TCU".
Fact is, you don’t know what happened in that locker room. Fact is you don’t know what he told UCLA. Relax and be happy with 23 wins and a great coach.

AroundWorldFrog

Football? I don’t know.....I’d put Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Florida, FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tennessee, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska all above UCLA. And more debatable but I’d put Michigan State, Auburn, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington in as more desirable and listen to arguments for quite a few others, too (WVU, Miss State, Miami, maybe others). It’s cool that they play in the Rose Bowl but it’s also weird that they don’t play on campus. It’s not a traditional college football setup. And I’m 33 and don’t remember UCLA ever being all that relevant in CFB.

Basketball I will buy, but only because of history. I’m not sure it’s a top 10 job right now (give me Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and maybe Texas, Florida, Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Arizona)

Baseball is the same as basketball. You can sell me based on their being top 4 out west with stanford, OSU, and CS Fullerton, but their stadium is garbage and the east coast and central programs outspend and out-support UCLA by a mile. The SEC is baseball rich and the ACC and Big 12 have a lot of strength. I get that baseball recruiting is a little more regional (especially southeast US vs west coast) but I’d put a lot of jobs ahead o UCLA because of facilities and financial support.

At the end of the day LA isn’t a college sports town and the west coast is less college sports-y than the southeast, upper Midwest, and flyover country. Sure UCLA has a massive trophy room, but it’s all seemingly outdated and a nice look back at how things used to be...not how they are now.
Nothing like good old Rout 66.

Paint It Purple

I agree they are higher....but in my opinion all three jobs...ftbl, bball, baseball...at UCLA are each Top 15 jobs in the country.

And my point about Texas holding the beer was it seemed when they were looking for Mack Brown and Charlie Strong replacements... they went thru at least 3 candidates before getting someone to take the job. With Strong at least 5 people turned down UT...
Your thought process is rooted in the same belief that last night’s championship was unworthy of watching because the schools were of insufficient high brand. Your thinking is the same that dismisses TCU as a legitimate NC contender because they are of insufficient national brand. Your thinking kept TCU out of the 2014 football NC

JogginFrog

No announcement of an extension or raise for CJD, correct? I'm a bit surprised not to see that. Makes me a shade concerned for what CJD and his players/recruits might be feeling.

When a winning coach get external interest, you expect the sequence to be: a) new program makes an offer and it goes public; b) current program makes a counter-offer to help retain the coach; c) Decision to stay/go is made and announced.

When UCLA made no announcement last Friday, my expectation was that re-negotiation of his TCU deal was in process and that the next person we'd hear from was Donati announcing an extension and possibly a raise for the fine coach that we were able to retain; then the coach tells us how glad he is to stay. Instead, we heard strangely from the Chancellor in the student online paper, who sounded a bit offended that Dixon had entertained an offer and wanted reassurance that it wouldn't happen again. No indication that TCU had any power to prevent that from happening.

Some may take it as another victory for Donati, who called UCLA's bluff and kept the coach without having to spend more on him. But if I'm a recruit or potential transfer, the lack of an extension makes me wonder about TCU's commitment to CJD--and vice-versa.

I dont like a lifetime contract. I dont like that we held to the full buyout. If it had been lowered, he would be gone.

I'm thankful for what he has done for the program, but for his high price tag, I expect more than crapping the bed against Texas in the NIT.

Sheesh.
Good grief

Re-reading his tweet, it further reinforces the idea that UCLA was the one driving the media coverage and breathless speculation. It doesn't really sound like Dixon was looking for an excuse to bail, but more that he listened politely and let them talk. It was to UCLA's benefit to sow dissension and generate bad blood; they might get a big discount on the buyout! But, TCU kept quiet in the media, made it known that they were not dealing, and Dixon played it straight with Donati and everybody else. TCU was then, and is now a united front.

The denouement of this has left me more confident than ever in TCU's people, and especially Donati.
Like for content esp denouement

Christcu

I lost respect for Dixon. IMO, he lacks leadership. He had locker room problems this year. As noted above, he is having to explain to many stakeholders that he is committed to TCU. If he was committed to rebuilding the program, he would have honorably said "Thanks UCLA, but no thanks. I'm committed to TCU".
I understand your point. Where and what do you or have you done professionally in your life? If some competitor offered you double the money would you at least listen? Probably. Dixon is staying...all that matters.

yurintroubl

Sheesh.

I don't think TCU built a buyout wall around Dixon. I actually think that Dixon was telling our side he was committed, his program is still trending upward and he had unfinished business to attend to here.... BUT - Depending on how things went a few years down the road... He didn't want to burn down a bridge which could take him home. TCU says "Cool. We'll wear the black hat on this... keep that buyout too rich for their budget... You don't have to explain anything...just point at us." Everybody wins. Hopefully we'll win more.