• The KillerFrogs

Dixon Twitter Message

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
ucla fundamentally lowballed cal, they wouldn't pay the buyout for dixon, they wouldn't pay the buyout for barnes and that was 3 m less, so exactly what would be accomplished by coming back to dixon?

tcu wasn't going to change their mind and i am pretty sure dixon didn't hit the lotto or mega millions so my experience has been in sales when you pitched has been rejected because you aren't in the ballpark of where you need to be you don't go back with the same pitch.

the only thing more misguided in this entire episode than the media covering ucla is the people running the actual search for ucla.
Do you think a leader would hold a team meeting and not address the elephant in the room?

Eight

Do you think a leader would hold a team meeting and not address the elephant in the room?

i have no idea what was said in that locker room and i take anything that was reported by the media with a big grain of salt.

i can tell you a few years back i sat in the stands of the texas relays talking to the father of a tcu football player who wouldn't exactly put gary in that category with how things were handled before during and after the arrest with casey.

do i think the dad had a bit of an axe to grind and was inserting how they felt the program should be run without most likely knowing all details of the program?

yes, but free feel to be disappointed in dixon and you don't need my permission to question his leadership.

Eight

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

understand the frustration, but as a parent of kids who just were or still that age and teaching classes from time to time i didn't take the phrase "he didn't say nothing" as something literal.

i do believe he has a load of work to do in his program to turn things around.

Punter1

I think UT slots WAY above UCLA in the athletic department power rankings. Just my opinion.

I agree they are higher....but in my opinion all three jobs...ftbl, bball, baseball...at UCLA are each Top 15 jobs in the country.

And my point about Texas holding the beer was it seemed when they were looking for Mack Brown and Charlie Strong replacements... they went thru at least 3 candidates before getting someone to take the job. With Strong at least 5 people turned down UT...

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
In what way does Dixon lack leadership?? Just because UCLA approached him (he didn't approach UCLA) and he gave some thought to returning to his childhood home to be closer to his family and his dad who is suffering from cancer? That makes him less of a leader in your eyes? He had unprecedented injury issues this year and still took 7 players and won 23 games with them. You are welcome to your opinion but clearly you know nothing about Jamie Dixon the person because he will do everything he can to make his alma mater a winner!
I totally understand considering home to be closer to aging parents. I made that move and dont make near as much as JD. If he had a team meeting, tell the team you are considering the change and the reasoning behind it. They may not like it, but could understand it. If you're committed to TCU, say that. He is now saying that and hoping to regain players trust. We shall see how next year turns out.

Purp

I think UT slots WAY above UCLA in the athletic department power rankings. Just my opinion.
I think the analogy was to Texas searching for a football head coach and landing on option 11 in Chuck Scrong. I see the similarities for sure and the Texas failure was far more chronicled nationally with the Saban swing and miss than was UCLA with the Calipari swing and miss. Then every subsequent failure thereafter until finally settling on a guy who never had support from big money donors from the get-go... I can agree that Texas' football fiasco was a little better publicized than this.

Eight

Hard to believe Nebraska got a better coaching hire than UCLA.

depends who is running the search as the positions don't fill themselves.

know an insurance carrier with a local offense that continually is hiring for its sales office and regional manager position, because the guy doing the hiring is a freaking idiot.

he started with the company a long time back and basically got lifted through the ranks as the company grew. what i have been told he was a damn good salesman in his day, but he has no idea how to run a search or the type of people who can succeed in today's market.

Eight

I totally understand considering home to be closer to aging parents. I made that move and dont make near as much as JD. If he had a team meeting, tell the team you are considering the change and the reasoning behind it. They may not like it, but could understand it. If you're committed to TCU, say that. He is now saying that and hoping to regain players trust. We shall see how next year turns out.

if jamie did tell the kids he was talking to ucla, that family matters were the driving matter, and he wasn't quite sure of the time frame how do you know to a 20 something that doesn't sound like "he didn't tell us nothing"

Wexahu

I agree they are higher....but in my opinion all three jobs...ftbl, bball, baseball...at UCLA are each Top 15 jobs in the country.

And my point about Texas holding the beer was it seemed when they were looking for Mack Brown and Charlie Strong replacements... they went thru at least 3 candidates before getting someone to take the job. With Strong at least 5 people turned down UT...

Strongly disagree about the football job being Top 15. Between a relatively unenthusiastic fan base and a stadium that is 30 minutes away from campus (even thought it's a cool venue) I don't see how it can be.

Purp

I'm sure that team meeting was awkward, but I don't think addressing the issue with the team 2 days later means he's lost players' trust. I'm sure the players felt a little weird about it at the time, but once they were fully informed and everything made sense about what was shared and when I have very little doubt that they'll be right back together on the same page with their coach is if this had never happened. In fact, it could even bring them closer together as the likely single biggest threat to losing their coach has been rebuffed which means they can trust he's going to be with them for the long haul.

yurintroubl

I think he knew he was sticking with TCU prior to any "circleback" by UCLA... and he stayed the course of remaining publicly silent by choice. There were coaches still interested in the position. Personally I think he was, on some level, considering it a professional courtesy to not undermine anyone's position at the negotiating table.

TX_Krötenechse

TCU has the worst fan base in the country

- TCU hires a coach who immediately puts TCU back on the map in basketball
- At the end of year three of the most successful era in TCU basketball since the mid 90s, people are already complaining about him
- he turns down a legit blue blood that came courting and people are now complaining that he didn’t do it fast enough or emphatically enough

Be thankful we have a coach that other schools want but who wants to be at TCU. For all the talk about buyout negotiations, etc, if both parties had wanted to make it happen, it would’ve happened. And since UCLA just ended up with a worse coach, I’m guessing it’s not them who backed out.

As for the team meeting, nobody on this forum knows what was discussed with the players. We have one vague, unattributed quote from a player. Hardly conclusive of anything, much less a lack of leadership or commitment.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Re-reading his tweet, it further reinforces the idea that UCLA was the one driving the media coverage and breathless speculation. It doesn't really sound like Dixon was looking for an excuse to bail, but more that he listened politely and let them talk. It was to UCLA's benefit to sow dissension and generate bad blood; they might get a big discount on the buyout! But, TCU kept quiet in the media, made it known that they were not dealing, and Dixon played it straight with Donati and everybody else. TCU was then, and is now a united front.

The denouement of this has left me more confident than ever in TCU's people, and especially Donati.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Time will tell if the negotiations were in our favor.

I dont like a lifetime contract. I dont like that we held to the full buyout. If it had been lowered, he would be gone.

I'm thankful for what he has done for the program, but for his high price tag, I expect more than crapping the bed against Texas in the NIT.

People can have their opinions without thinking we have the worst fanbase.

Sheesh.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Time will tell if the negotiations were in our favor.

I dont like a lifetime contract. I dont like that we held to the full buyout. If it had been lowered, he would be gone.

I'm thankful for what he has done for the program, but for his high price tag, I expect more than crapping the bed against Texas in the NIT.

People can have their opinions without thinking we have the worst fanbase.

Sheesh.
It’s a pretty damn entitled fan base. At least it is on these forums. Which are totally real life.

Austintxfrog94

Quick somebody write a post assuming a crazy wild theory that will flame the fanbase and then we'll get to see it in the Startlegram tomorrow.

AroundWorldFrog

I would have missed this...

west-virginia-tcu-basketball-fort-worth-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10063687al.jpg