• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: Signee Atanza Vongor says TCU coaches aren’t ‘chasing a check’ like others

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Diehards: Signee Atanza Vongor says TCU coaches aren’t ‘chasing a check’ like others

Grant McGalliard
@grantmcgalliard

Gary Patterson has been with the TCU Horned Frogs for 20 years, and his longevity and dedication have attracted plenty of recruits — including Atanza Vongor.

Vongor, a 4-star safety from South Grand Prairie High School in Texas, spoke about why he signed with TCU. The incoming freshman said he appreciated the Horned Frogs’ coaching staff for their willingness to build a program in Fort Worth.

“When Coach P got here, he transformed the whole program and turned it around,” Vongor said. “You see other coaches all around the country, going around basically chasing a contract, chasing a check. These coaches have been here for a long time.”

Read more at https://www.diehards.com/tcu/atanza-vongor-tcu-gary-patterson-chasing-check

Mean Purple

Good to see kids look at things for the right reasons. Good to see our program drive kids for the right reasons. Study hard. Play Hard. Get a good start on the rest of your life.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
All the above are true.
But GP has become unique & youngsters notice uniqueness.
For the numbers GuRu’s out there, please elucidate—how many current (if any) Power 5 coaches have been at the same program 20 years?
I’m thinking none.

Ron Swanson

All the above are true.
But GP has become unique & youngsters notice uniqueness.
For the numbers GuRu’s out there, please elucidate—how many current (if any) Power 5 coaches have been at the same program 20 years?
I’m thinking none.
Is Kirk ferentz still at Iowa?

Then you got Snyder at KSU, although he had a hiatus

French Frog

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The Tennessee story is always good for a round of fine backwoods sippin’ whiskey accompanied by the usual “Well the way I heard it was like this...” stories but I just don’t buy it. UTenn fans can twist that tale more than the Mississippi River. GP is more than enough for UTenn. GP just said thanks but no thanks.

Mean Purple

The Tennessee story is always good for a round of fine backwoods sippin’ whiskey accompanied by the usual “Well the way I heard it was like this...” stories but I just don’t buy it. UTenn fans can twist that tale more than the Mississippi River. GP is more than enough for UTenn. GP just said thanks but no thanks.
Have family around Knoxville and your version of it is what they heard years ago. As a person. Who has followed vol sports for years, I can tell you they can go zero to aggy after 2 losses. And if they are rejected, they go full Ohio state.

froginaustin

Maybe, just maybe, Patterson looked at UTn and saw a program stupid enough to let blowhard boosters badger their university into firing Phil Fulmer, and (eventually) putting the Kiffins in his place. Since Fulmer, how many coaches with up-and-coming reputations have stopped by UTn on the way to their career graveyard? 6?

Ed: I love that Vonger's coming TCU's way.

smufrogger

Grant McGalliard
@grantmcgalliard

Gary Patterson has been with the TCU Horned Frogs for 20 years, and his longevity and dedication have attracted plenty of recruits — including Atanza Vongor.

Vongor, a 4-star safety from South Grand Prairie High School in Texas, spoke about why he signed with TCU. The incoming freshman said he appreciated the Horned Frogs’ coaching staff for their willingness to build a program in Fort Worth.

“When Coach P got here, he transformed the whole program and turned it around,” Vongor said. “You see other coaches all around the country, going around basically chasing a contract, chasing a check. These coaches have been here for a long time.”

Read more at https://www.diehards.com/tcu/atanza-vongor-tcu-gary-patterson-chasing-check

Gary doesn't chase checks--- checks chase Gary...

tcujsauce

Articulate for an 18/19 year old high school Senior. To use the current lingo, he looks "long"!

giphy.gif