• The KillerFrogs

Did the students not come?

LeagueCityFrog

I would make the suggestion that when the TCU Athletic Department cuts the availability of getting tickets next season from the 44,000 down to the 33,000 I hope the first place they make a cut for ticket availability is in the student section. What a joke! That is where supply and demand needs an adjustment. Our student section is an embarrassment on national tv.

desmith03

the problem is simple. There are almost twice as many females at tcu as there are males. The majority of these girls have no care or comprehension of football at all. They would rather sit in their room and count how many tampons they have left, rather than go to a "hot and boring football game where you have to stand the entire game." Another large percent of tcu students are gay frat boys that would rather stand in the parking lot and get wasted as they admire each other's matching polos and show off their sperrys. Theres also a lot of guys that some how have no comprehension of football or how it works, and sometimes decide to go watch a quarter or two if they get bored of playing call of duty. The majority of students are ignorant and don't have any comprehension of rivalries. Most people couldn't understand why i disliked byu so much. Also a lot of students grew up their entire lives rooting for big state schools and despite the fact we're ranked in the top 5, they think we're overrated and would rather hang out in their dorm and watch "the game" rather than watch TCU beat another "nobody". Also, students have the attitude of "we don't play anybody. who wants to go watch another blow out? We all know TCU will win. I'm just gonna stay in my dorm and catch up on my hw or take a nap or browse the internet for new sperrys or go find out where the next party is. A majority of students simply have no motivation or desire to go to the games. They're in no hurry to get there, and once they're there, they get easily bored of TCU doing nothing but winning, so they decide to leave and go to something else. It's pretty pathetic and by far my biggest turn off so far at TCU.

If you & I had been at TCU at the same time, we would have become good friends! :tongue: I had the exact same opinion back in the early '00s.

micahjh

Real simple solution to this problem -----> NIGHT GAMES. Students dont like day games sitting in the sun, makes them want to take a nap, because most have something fun planned for later that night. Schedule night games, and give them all day to get properly motivated, and you will have packed houses with rowdy fans. Day games are for the Big 10 cupcakes. Football in the south is supposed to be played at night. Watch and see how much better the crowd is this coming Saturday.

joefrog91

Real simple solution to this problem -----> NIGHT GAMES. Students dont like day games sitting in the sun, makes them want to take a nap, because most have something fun planned for later that night. Schedule night games, and give them all day to get properly motivated, and you will have packed houses with rowdy fans. Day games are for the Big 10 cupcakes. Football in the south is supposed to be played at night. Watch and see how much better the crowd is this coming Saturday.

I hope you're right. But, if the student turnout isn't any better, then what will be the excuse? Remember, OU is playing Mizzou at the same time. Rangers-Yankees could also be a factor is it goes to 7 games.

Kingles

I agree SFA frog, I've known several alums that havent come...it's especially tough right now because a lot of them are rangers fans so they end up there. Not saying that's a good excuse, just saying I think it factors in.

Also, it does seem like try have moved more into W than in past years. Can't blame them, they are better seats.

And yes it was hot...not Baylor hot but it wasn't cool either.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Except that it's not a problem when Big 12 or SEC teams have afternoon games.

SoCalFrog

The real problem isn't that the students leave early, it's "where the hell are they for the start of the game?" This joke that TCU fans always arrive fashionably late has got to stop. When the team ran onto the field, nobody was even in the stadium yet. This from a TV perspective.

Horny 4 Life

To the Freshman who are so up in arms in this thread:

This topic bothered me greatly when I was a Freshman just a few short years ago. I had similar reactions. Eventually I gained enough perspective and awareness to understand that everybody plays their own role in making the Horned Frog Football World go round and those "gay frat boys," dumb females, and state school fan students help to make us what we are. Those frat boys will, generally upon graduation, regret that they failed to pay attention to our great football team and will become regular attenders and even Frog Club members. Those dumb females will eventually show their pride with pretty purple dresses and boots and they will pay attention to our football team and proudly support them in the workplace or at their afternoon lunches with other married housewives. They'll possibly marry one of the "gay frat boys," thoroughly shredding your pathetic attempt at a derogatory generalization, and they will become invested in the program. Those state school fans will, in time, realize what they've missed out on and show their remorse by becoming diehard TCU fans. Some of them may continue on their way down the path of ignorance, but at the very least, in the future they will not discount TCU Football as much as they do today.

To the rest of us:

Three generations of Frog Fans have been lost due to our 40 years of suckitude. Not only are those TCU alumni not invested in the program, but their children and grandchildren are not invested either. It's hard for us diehards to understand the concept that we are a marginal fraction of the TCU related population. For whatever reason, we bleed purple. For the youngsters among us, we are proud because of our athletic prowess and we only faintly recall, or in some cases have no recollection whatsoever, the bad days at TCU. That brings about a sense of pride and arrogance that you can't create when your school gets a winning season once a decade. Our children will be Frog fans because we are and they have no choice. My children will be Frog fans and it is highly likely that they will attend TCU. They will probably share my disdain for the state schools and BYU. They will proudly wear TCU purple to their elementary, middle, and high schools and, hopefully, they will remember fondly the times that they attended TCU games with their parents. They will be Frog fans long before they have the pleasure of attending a class at TCU. I assume that the same is true or will be true for many of you. This is what small private schools in metropolitan areas rely upon when it comes to establishing a fan base. You have to grow the fanbase internally before you can grow it externally. We're still in the process of growing the fan base internally while we try to supplement it externally. Patience friends.

FROGDADDY

the problem is simple. There are almost twice as many females at tcu as there are males. The majority of these girls have no care or comprehension of football at all. They would rather sit in their room and count how many tampons they have left, rather than go to a "hot and boring football game where you have to stand the entire game." Another large percent of tcu students are gay frat boys that would rather stand in the parking lot and get wasted as they admire each other's matching polos and show off their sperrys. Theres also a lot of guys that some how have no comprehension of football or how it works, and sometimes decide to go watch a quarter or two if they get bored of playing call of duty. The majority of students are ignorant and don't have any comprehension of rivalries. Most people couldn't understand why i disliked byu so much. Also a lot of students grew up their entire lives rooting for big state schools and despite the fact we're ranked in the top 5, they think we're overrated and would rather hang out in their dorm and watch "the game" rather than watch TCU beat another "nobody". Also, students have the attitude of "we don't play anybody. who wants to go watch another blow out? We all know TCU will win. I'm just gonna stay in my dorm and catch up on my hw or take a nap or browse the internet for new sperrys or go find out where the next party is. A majority of students simply have no motivation or desire to go to the games. They're in no hurry to get there, and once they're there, they get easily bored of TCU doing nothing but winning, so they decide to leave and go to something else. It's pretty pathetic and by far my biggest turn off so far at TCU.

A bit more colorful than I would have stated it perhaps, but basically how I felt when I was at TCU in the early 90's. One thing I can assure you of is that it's WAY BETTER now than it was then.

FWIW, daughter #1 has already been told that football game attendance will be mandatory for her at whatever college she chooses to attend.

micahjh

Except that it's not a problem when Big 12 or SEC teams have afternoon games.

Im sure you have read enough attendance threads to know that TCU is different. No point worrying about being something other than what you are. Just play the cards you are dealt. Actually day games do have an impact on those schools, though its generally not as noticeable. Because if UT has 3000 less students, then no one can tell. But if TCU has 3000 less students, then thats half the enrollment.

It also has a huge impact on noise. Ask any LSU fan if Tiger Stadium in a day game ever approaches the decible level of a night game. No comparison. Its the same throughout the south. There is a scientific formula that involves calculating number of pregame tailgate hours, and the position of the sun in the night time sky equalling the degree of rowdiness seen in your fans. 60% of the time, works everytime.

Bottom line is, because our attendence has its unique challenges, we should do what we can to encourage more and louder fans. 1 out of 6 home games being at night is the opposite of that. This last one, most definetly needed to be at night.

YA

To the Freshman who are so up in arms in this thread:

This topic bothered me greatly when I was a Freshman just a few short years ago. I had similar reactions. Eventually I gained enough perspective and awareness to understand that everybody plays their own role in making the Horned Frog Football World go round and those "gay frat boys," dumb females, and state school fan students help to make us what we are. Those frat boys will, generally upon graduation, regret that they failed to pay attention to our great football team and will become regular attenders and even Frog Club members. Those dumb females will eventually show their pride with pretty purple dresses and boots and they will pay attention to our football team and proudly support them in the workplace or at their afternoon lunches with other married housewives. They'll possibly marry one of the "gay frat boys," thoroughly shredding your pathetic attempt at a derogatory generalization, and they will become invested in the program. Those state school fans will, in time, realize what they've missed out on and show their remorse by becoming diehard TCU fans. Some of them may continue on their way down the path of ignorance, but at the very least, in the future they will not discount TCU Football as much as they do today.

To the rest of us:

Three generations of Frog Fans have been lost due to our 40 years of suckitude. Not only are those TCU alumni not invested in the program, but their children and grandchildren are not invested either. It's hard for us diehards to understand the concept that we are a marginal fraction of the TCU related population. For whatever reason, we bleed purple. For the youngsters among us, we are proud because of our athletic prowess and we only faintly recall, or in some cases have no recollection whatsoever, the bad days at TCU. That brings about a sense of pride and arrogance that you can't create when your school gets a winning season once a decade. Our children will be Frog fans because we are and they have no choice. My children will be Frog fans and it is highly likely that they will attend TCU. They will probably share my disdain for the state schools and BYU. They will proudly wear TCU purple to their elementary, middle, and high schools and, hopefully, they will remember fondly the times that they attended TCU games with their parents. They will be Frog fans long before they have the pleasure of attending a class at TCU. I assume that the same is true or will be true for many of you. This is what small private schools in metropolitan areas rely upon when it comes to establishing a fan base. You have to grow the fanbase internally before you can grow it externally. We're still in the process of growing the fan base internally while we try to supplement it externally. Patience friends.
100% agreement.

People do not understand that losing 40 years of alumni and the resulting fans that come from that connection cannot be stated enough times. Same goes for the Fort Worth community. It is the #1 reason we have the attendance that we have. It will only get better as we go further into the future as winning produces the things you talk about not overnight, but takes many, many years. We are not there yet, but another 12 years and you can forget the part of losing 40 years and focus on the 24 years that have been produed by winning.

TCU2002

I've done more than enough damage keeping this thread going, but here - courtesy of the 82Frog gallery - is an East side picture of last year's Colorado State game. This game was played on the same October weekend (October 17) . According to Weather Underground, the high temperature on October 17, 2009 was all of 75 degrees.

2009 attendance was 31156. Attendance yesterday was 40416. This is a 9,260 person improvement. Lets allow that BYU had about 1,500 more fans than CSU did at the game. Is that generous? In any event, we improved turnout by nearly 8,000 TCU fans in one year, on a *more* uncomfortable day with the local MLB franchise playing Game 2 of the ALCS about 19 miles away.

http://keithr.zenfolio.com/p138011863/h12dff5c4#h3c58dd4

BABYFACE

It really wasnt that bad yesterday. Was it warm? Yes, but we live in Texas, get over it. 84 isnt bad.

After the dog days of Summer and endless days of 100 degree plus temps, mid -80's is mighty comfortable weather, even in the sun. For a Texan to use these temps for the past two home games is an invalid excuse for why they left early. The reason they left early was for other reasons, but instead some played the blame it on the heat card IMO.

Pinkyfrog

I've done more than enough damage keeping this thread going, but here - courtesy of the 82Frog gallery - is an East side picture of last year's Colorado State game. This game was played on the same October weekend (October 17) . According to Weather Underground, the high temperature on October 17, 2009 was all of 75 degrees.

2009 attendance was 31156. Attendance yesterday was 40416. This is a 9,260 person improvement. Lets allow that BYU had about 1,500 more fans than CSU did at the game. Is that generous? In any event, we improved turnout by nearly 8,000 TCU fans in one year, on a *more* uncomfortable day with the local MLB franchise playing Game 2 of the ALCS about 19 miles away.

http://keithr.zenfol...dff5c4#h3c58dd4

I'd say that picture is about right for the BYU game, obviously more BYU fans, and maybe a little bit more in the non-upper right corner sections, but not much. Looks to be above 2/3rds student attendance.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
After the dog days of Summer and endless days of 100 degree plus temps, mid -80's is mighty comfortable weather, even in the sun. For a Texan to use these temps for the past two home games is an invalid excuse for why they left early. The reason they left early was for other reasons, but instead some played the blame it on the heat card IMO.

Yeah. Like I said earlier, I can understand for older people who had to sit out in it all day. I am younger so I don't know exactly how that being out in that temp would wake me feel when I get up in my 60's or older. I got there at noon and was the last car to leave the parking lot (cops forced us out). Not once did I ever think it was hot.

Houston Frog

Yeah. Like I said earlier, I can understand for older people who had to sit out in it all day. I am younger so I don't know exactly how that being out in that temp would wake me feel when I get up in my 60's or older. I got there at noon and was the last car to leave the parking lot (cops forced us out). Not once did I ever think it was hot.

It got a little warm in the port-a-potties