• The KillerFrogs

Did the students not come?

joefrog91

I've done more than enough damage keeping this thread going, but here - courtesy of the 82Frog gallery - is an East side picture of last year's Colorado State game. This game was played on the same October weekend (October 17) . According to Weather Underground, the high temperature on October 17, 2009 was all of 75 degrees.

2009 attendance was 31156. Attendance yesterday was 40416. This is a 9,260 person improvement. Lets allow that BYU had about 1,500 more fans than CSU did at the game. Is that generous? In any event, we improved turnout by nearly 8,000 TCU fans in one year, on a *more* uncomfortable day with the local MLB franchise playing Game 2 of the ALCS about 19 miles away.

http://keithr.zenfolio.com/p138011863/h12dff5c4#h3c58dd4

That's what it looked like for the BYU game too. If there was an 8K increase, then they must have been in the endzones or on the west side of the stadium.

eagartotri

Gotta be honest, as a fan that moved to the westside just a year ago, the turnouts in the student section have been upsetting. School spirit appears to be at a all time high when walking around campus. Purple is everywhere most of the time and students very rarely sport colors or logos from other schools. Haven't seen an Aggie or ut shirt around here in a long time. Needless to say, it's not really translating into committed fans on the student side....unless it's the "coolest and most fun thing" to do that day.

Our game day atmoshere has vastly improved, but not necessarily for the students. They see no benefit in Frog Alley and seem reluctant to enjoy the atmosphere of the Commons before a game (why should they, they go there every day). Despite many efforts to create an atmosphere for students, it just hasn't worked yet and no telling when it will.

So, chalk it up to 30 point wins, afternoon sunshine, and a lack of pre-game atmosphere tailored to students and there's your sign.

As for the community showing and commitment from the Westside, it's inspiring to see 75-80% out of there seats on almost every third down. That's come a long way.

Pinkyfrog

Gotta be honest, as a fan that moved to the westside just a year ago, the turnouts in the student section have been upsetting. School spirit appears to be at a all time high when walking around campus. Purple is everywhere most of the time and students very rarely sport colors or logos from other schools. Haven't seen an Aggie or ut shirt around here in a long time. Needless to say, it's not really translating into committed fans on the student side....unless it's the "coolest and most fun thing" to do that day.

Our game day atmoshere has vastly improved, but not necessarily for the students. They see no benefit in Frog Alley and seem reluctant to enjoy the atmosphere of the Commons before a game (why should they, they go there every day). Despite many efforts to create an atmosphere for students, it just hasn't worked yet and no telling when it will.

So, chalk it up to 30 point wins, afternoon sunshine, and a lack of pre-game atmosphere tailored to students and there's your sign.

As for the community showing and commitment from the Westside, it's inspiring to see 75-80% out of there seats on almost every third down. That's come a long way.

Like what? All the marketing is focused on Fort Worth familys, there is nothing going towards students except the 10 or so game day signs around campus (I don't think they go up for football even). Marketing only works with the Greeks because the leaders can force the lowers through peer pressure much easier than trying to get a bunch of non-greek students to a game. Why do you think we have the TCU Rangers or whatever they are? They're just greek guys who want to be on the field, and marketing is more than happy to oblige to get them brownie points (Of course they now have to let non-greeks and women join, but they're all still greek I can almost guarantee). Hyperfrogs gets more support than anyone else, and they've only come out for football and volleyball, nothing any other people wouldn't do. I remember seeing one hyperfrog at many basketball games (god bless that one though), so they're not any more dedicated than a lot of other students.

YA

That's what it looked like for the BYU game too. If there was an 8K increase, then they must have been in the endzones or on the west side of the stadium.
It is obvious you need an eye exam as the pic of the colorado state game was not anywhere close to the byu game.
csu east side--not even close

BYU game east side

I think the problem besides your eyesight is that you expect there to be no changes in the amount of people in the stands regardless. That isn't even possible or feasible.

Pinkyfrog

It is obvious you need an eye exam as the pic of the colorado state game was not anywhere close to the byu game.
BYU game east side

I think the problem besides your eyesight is that you expect there to be no changes in the amount of people in the stands regardless. That isn't even possible or feasible.

O well I was wrong, I must have seen it earlier in the game, I wasn't paying that much attention to the number of students.

D

Daniel Plainview

Seeing as how I'm late to this party and I don't want to read through all hundred something posts. (ive read the last 40 so please inform me if I'm repeating something from earlier)

But has it been mentioned that TCU students don't particularly have a place to tailgate? TCU got rid of that one about 3 years ago.

NOW, not that I condone the lax attitude of todays students toward their amazing football team. I can understand when you are pregaming off campus why it might be hard to get to the stadium. You don't want to drink and drive and it can be quite a long walk.

This is not to excuse them or say its okay. But when you force the "half arsed" fan off of campus to pregame. Your going to get a half arsed return on student attendance.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons for lack of student attendance but I have to imagine that TCU axing organized student tailgates shouts to me as a major contibuting factor.

Side note:

TCU maniac, they way that you refer to Gay frat dudes and dumb hot girls SCREAMS jealousy and envy.

and Call of Duty is the Brilesboobs and don't ever bash it.

That is all.

joefrog91

BYU game east side

First of all, I've said more than once that I'm bad at estimating crowd size. However, I don't see two straight ahead shots there. The BYU game pic of the east side is slanted where you can't really see the whole student section. The visitor's section and the middle section do look better. I would like to see the straight ahead shot of the right side of the stands. That is what I was comparing in the picture from the CSU game.

gdu

BYU game east side

obviously CSU brought nobody and BYU travels well, but Istill haven't seen a pic of the student section from the BYU game and there is a reason for that.

HFrog12

Im sure you have read enough attendance threads to know that TCU is different. No point worrying about being something other than what you are. Just play the cards you are dealt. Actually day games do have an impact on those schools, though its generally not as noticeable. Because if UT has 3000 less students, then no one can tell. But if TCU has 3000 less students, then thats half the enrollment.

It also has a huge impact on noise. Ask any LSU fan if Tiger Stadium in a day game ever approaches the decible level of a night game. No comparison. Its the same throughout the south. There is a scientific formula that involves calculating number of pregame tailgate hours, and the position of the sun in the night time sky equalling the degree of rowdiness seen in your fans. 60% of the time, works everytime.

Bottom line is, because our attendence has its unique challenges, we should do what we can to encourage more and louder fans. 1 out of 6 home games being at night is the opposite of that. This last one, most definetly needed to be at night.

I agree 100% with this. Games in the SEC such as Tiger Stadium are louder at night. I personally was disappointed with the showing from the student section at BYU but I have a very good feeling that it will be the opposite this week vs. Air Force. Expect a loud and rowdy crowd this weekend. If the students do not show up the way I predict then there is no excuse.

K

kdaltcu

Just watched the replay. Crowd looked great!...EXCEPT for the student section... Kind of pathetic given it's one of our biggest conference rivals

eagartotri

Like what? All the marketing is focused on Fort Worth familys, there is nothing going towards students except the 10 or so game day signs around campus (I don't think they go up for football even). Marketing only works with the Greeks because the leaders can force the lowers through peer pressure much easier than trying to get a bunch of non-greek students to a game. Why do you think we have the TCU Rangers or whatever they are? They're just greek guys who want to be on the field, and marketing is more than happy to oblige to get them brownie points (Of course they now have to let non-greeks and women join, but they're all still greek I can almost guarantee). Hyperfrogs gets more support than anyone else, and they've only come out for football and volleyball, nothing any other people wouldn't do. I remember seeing one hyperfrog at many basketball games (god bless that one though), so they're not any more dedicated than a lot of other students.

in response to this and Daniel Plainviews post, multiple locations and types of tailgates have been explored and tried for students with little to no response, even from the Greeks. There is no replica for the current tailgates put on by alumni all around the stadium. That left several years ago when the student tailgate because frog club parking. There hasn't been a suitable or adopted location since. Even the students that screamed for new locations and better tailgates learned their own peers have not responded. There has been to much dependency on the Greeks and too much talk about how alcohol is so important for the experience.

That's the major difference with the HyperFrogs, their whole premise is spirit and support without alcohol. It would great if more students would join the spirit and be a fan just to be a fan. But, that's the main problem with TCU fans for years.

As for marketing, I agree that there is no target marketing to students for football, much less any other sports other than the yard signs around campus. This could and should change.

So, efforts have been made, but no solution has stuck.

Pinkyfrog

in response to this and Daniel Plainviews post, multiple locations and types of tailgates have been explored and tried for students with little to no response, even from the Greeks. There is no replica for the current tailgates put on by alumni all around the stadium. That left several years ago when the student tailgate because frog club parking. There hasn't been a suitable or adopted location since. Even the students that screamed for new locations and better tailgates learned their own peers have not responded. There has been to much dependency on the Greeks and too much talk about how alcohol is so important for the experience.

That's the major difference with the HyperFrogs, their whole premise is spirit and support without alcohol. It would great if more students would join the spirit and be a fan just to be a fan. But, that's the main problem with TCU fans for years.

As for marketing, I agree that there is no target marketing to students for football, much less any other sports other than the yard signs around campus. This could and should change.

So, efforts have been made, but no solution has stuck.

So when you say efforts you mean they tried and failed at ultra-regulated tailgates? I'm no drunkard, hey I'm almost always the DD (riding a motorcycle does that to you) but c'mon, let the kids do what they want, you know they're going to drink, I can go into any frat house almost any night of the week and find drunk freshmen, yes they're underage, but good lord do Greeks drink, you know they do, stop trying to sweep it under the rug, all these greek parties you have, 75% of them are drunk, at a minimum. I have many greek friends, and I have yet to see one come back sober from any of their parties. So why don't we just give the kids what they want, let them tailgate, give them lot 7 for pete's sake, have them set up the night before and camp out there, that would be cool.

Other than that, there has been no support for students attending the games, the band, cheer, showgirls, hyperfrogs, and some other athletes are the only dependable students there are, most of them don't get much if anything for attending other than the enjoyment, so we know that it's possible to get kids out to the game, why can't we put effort into the rest of the students?

tcumaniac

So when you say efforts you mean they tried and failed at ultra-regulated tailgates? I'm no drunkard, hey I'm almost always the DD (riding a motorcycle does that to you) but c'mon, let the kids do what they want, you know they're going to drink, I can go into any frat house almost any night of the week and find drunk freshmen, yes they're underage, but good lord do Greeks drink, you know they do, stop trying to sweep it under the rug, all these greek parties you have, 75% of them are drunk, at a minimum. I have many greek friends, and I have yet to see one come back sober from any of their parties. So why don't we just give the kids what they want, let them tailgate, give them lot 7 for pete's sake, have them set up the night before and camp out there, that would be cool.

Other than that, there has been no support for students attending the games, the band, cheer, showgirls, hyperfrogs, and some other athletes are the only dependable students there are, most of them don't get much if anything for attending other than the enjoyment, so we know that it's possible to get kids out to the game, why can't we put effort into the rest of the students?

i dont consider myself a hyperfrog, because they care more about doing cheesy cheers than actually getting really into the game.. however i always go in the stadium over an hour early and get a front row spot in the hyperfrogs section right on the 50
biggrin.gif

Pinkyfrog

i dont consider myself a hyperfrog, because they care more about doing cheesy cheers than actually getting really into the game.. however i always go in the stadium over an hour early and get a front row spot in the hyperfrogs section right on the 50
biggrin.gif

Stop stereotyping and belittling everyone, grow up, stop being a typical freshman, yell at games, don't judge people as readily as you do.

gdu

Just watched the replay. Crowd looked great!...EXCEPT for the student section... Kind of pathetic given it's one of our biggest conference rivals
I finally got a chance to watch the whole thing again last night and I could see why some may have thought the student section was full...because they never show it.

It is empty when teh players run on the field, even though the camera tries not to show it.

The really funny part though as at the end of the 1st quarter (when all the "2/3 full" folks say it was the fullest). The camera does a live panning shot from the south end of the west side through the north endzone and around to the east side and then abruptly stops at the band. I wonder why.