• The KillerFrogs

DFW Sports: Offensive Line Not What You Think

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
From the article:

John Woolridge
, who is likely to take over at center for the Frogs, played significant time in six games last season. Blaize Foltz, who will fill in at one of the guard positions, played in the first five games of 2010 before suffering a season-ending injury.

And Ty Horn, taking over at the other guard spot, played in eight games a season ago and started the game against Oregon State at Cowboys Stadium. Jeff Olson, who will be the right tackle, played in twelve games last year and started four of them.

So it’s not like this group is full of freshmen that have never seen the field before. There is plenty of experience on the offensive line, and not just “end of game, blowout” experience. Clearly, these guys have plenty of game experience to take with them into the 2011 season.

The only returning “starter” from the Rose Bowl team is Kyle Dooley, who started nine games at left guard.

DickBumpastache

wacko.gif

I did see Dunbar practicing with the 1st team a bit Monday...they're looking for anybody to step up at RT.

Gunner

Starting 5 at the end of spring was, Olson, Dooley, Fry, Foltz, Horn. Top 3 centers are Fry, Tausch, M Thompson. Olson backed by Dunbar or Wellington. S Thompson backs Dooley. Foltz is backed by Wooldridge at right guard.

asleep003

Have always thought the 2 most talented or athletic O-Linemen should be at the Center and LT position.
And if not at least our 3rd best athlete at LT... have we not done that.?. Who were top 3 O-L from Spring.
Obviously we don't need a 6'6"/6'7" center, but who looked the most agile and Gnarly during scrimmages?
As it seems we run the backs to the left more often... some of that could be a product of the QB read plays.
Cheers!

asleep003

Has anyone noticed Michael Thompson(believe he's our 3 deep RS-FR center)... came in at 6'4" 315 and
timed in 40 at 4.9, plus rivals ranked him 4th at center in state and 18th nationally... Is he coming along or
is he a project for Jr./Sr. season. If he can really move that quick... it would be fun to see him tried at other
spots on the roster, if not even D-Line....

Foltz50

Your right Feisty, It was so bad I even decided to post on here and I may of posted like twice in 3 years. I laughed so hard reading this with some of the statements like Woolridge at center I had tears in my eyes. How do these writers come up with such wrong info. The kid has never taken a snap in his life at center that I know of.

ricksterh

Has anyone noticed Michael Thompson(believe he's our 3 deep RS-FR center)... came in at 6'4" 315 and
timed in 40 at 4.9, plus rivals ranked him 4th at center in state and 18th nationally... Is he coming along or
is he a project for Jr./Sr. season. If he can really move that quick... it would be fun to see him tried at other
spots on the roster, if not even D-Line....

The practices I watched and in the spring game Michael was center I think on the #2 o line. Imo he is a player and will play where ever they want him to play on the o line. Not sure how fast this will all happen but by the time he finishes he will have left his mark. Oh and he looks like Andy Dalton's big younger brother. :biggrin: