• The KillerFrogs

Del Conte spoke to downtown FW Rotary yesterday

westoverhillbilly

I apologize if this has already been posted...

He addressed the audience by saying that TCU and the Fort Worth community are one and the same... that we are interdependent..

He continually praised the financial controllers of both the athletic department (Gutierrez) and the university in addition to Boschini's leadership... He said that there is nobody in the college athletics business better than Gutierrez...

We are so lucky to be in a talent rich market for athletes... When he was at Univ of Arizona, he said that there were only 9 players his last year there that got DI-A football sholarships from the state of Arizona, so the UA and ASU had to import alot of players whereas we don't and as such, we have a distinct advantage...

TCU is strongly committed to compete in big-time athletics and academics. Period. This is evidenced in actions and not words- just look at the new stadium going up for evidence..

When asked about the Aggie/SEC issue, he said that this could be the beginning of the techtonic shift that is inevitable.. Said that UT has an athletic budget of $130m and their closest conference mate is OU at $80m... He said Utah's athletic budget of $34m will be $22m lower than the currently lowest PAC 12 mate and they are going in with a very light arsenal.. At Rice (where he was previously), their budget when not accounting for tuition was a paltry $15m ($25m when tuition was added)... In summary, he said that he sees where college athletics will go back to something like the 1950's and before where there is some type of major college association that have adequate budgets and then those like Rice who will go down a rung.. Said if the TX Legislature approves A&M's departure, then lookout.. This is when and where the haves and have nots may separate themselves from each other.

He said that the good news is that TCU is "in the club" now that we're in the Big East.. Furthermore, it is difficult to get eliminated from the club once you're in it... He said that we are oh so fortunate to have been included, especially at this time.. He said he's so glad we aren't on the outside looking in (i.e. a non AQ program) at this dangerous time..

He went on about how conference affiliations now are all about who can deliver TV viewers and TCU, while not real stout, was able to deliver FW (not Dallas) to the BE... He said as recently as 20 years ago Arkansas made a conference move for geographic reasons and that was the way conferences were put together until after that, but those days are gone..

He had two local basketball recruits in his office earlier this week that had been offered by the likes of UNC... he said these types of guys have never visited TCU before, but the chance to play in the BE where the 9th place team can win the National Championship makes us a much more interesting program... he told these guys that they have a chance to have their names hanging from the rafters forever more as the guy or guys who changed it all here whereas they will be just another one of many who have gone thru the doors at UNC...

We will be attending football games in a "work zone" this fall and it will be uncomfortable- the other 6 days of the week will be construction days... There will be a lack of restrooms and concessions.. We had a chance to play our home games at the Cotton Bowl this year and declined in- "we're a FW team"... But, in '12, it is going to be phenomenal..

The BYU game came about because Tech dumped us.. he said Turbeville said that they aren't ready to play TCU now, but will later in the decade.. CDC said both Tech and TCU need that game and it will occur later in the decade.. He said 2011 was a tough scheduling year with the Tech dumping, the Utah departure and our conference change in that we were left with some real voids... He's usually working 9-10 years or more in advance on scheduling but had to scramble to get a full slate of games for '11... the BYU game is at Jerryworld because there will be demand for 40-50k seats..

Revenue is all so important in this arms race we're in.. He said that we need to raise ticket prices to a level that won't cause attendance to drop but yet will raise more money.. Said that those sitting between the 30s will be paying a significant premium... UT charges no less than $75 per ticket and Louisville about $50 while we're currently at $25... he was a bit evasive and admittedly so because he said we just don't know for sure where demand will be.. TCU's football season ticket sales currently are between 40th and 50th in the FBS despite having the #2 team in the country at 2010's finale.. this is a challenge that TCU will work on overcoming..

Said that Texas must focus on revenue to pay Mack Brown his $5m plus and TCU must focus on revenue to pay Coach Patterson his nice salary and he will do everything in his power to keep Gary happy.. The good news is that Gary loves Fort Worth and TCU and his wife loves it as much or more, so his selling job isn't as difficult as it could be.. He said the going rate just for a head fb coach is about $1m to $5m and athletic departments are under enormous pressure to cover huge expenditures..

This guy never fails to entertain..

There isn't a better time for this tectonic shift to happen. We have never been at a higher level on and off the field, are already in the "club", bring a big market, and bring important recent BCS numbers to help whatever conference we end up with.

Really think that will be in some sort of permitation of the BE.

bscttyb

Being "In the club" helps, but we are the newest members of the club. If all this goes down, we better hope the BE is proactive, or we have a chance of being left out again.

TexasCard

I am a Louisville Graduate and fan. My family and I have lived in the Fort Worth area for the last 10 years. Yesterday I took my two daughters down to the TCU campus for a visit. My oldest daughter is a tennis player (quite good) and she was blown away by the tennis center. Of course she is only 10 but she is very focused on what she wants to do. She loved TCU so you all may get one in the future.

We toured the tennis center, football stadium, and basketball arena as well as the campus. It was great to get my daughters the experience of what college is about. The stadium is going to be really nice once they complete it. We took several pictures and TCU fans are getting something very special to go along with all of the other campus upgrades over the past 5 years or so. The basketball arena is getting new purple seating that looks nice. I would advise this though, as your program develops you are going to have to consider building a new arena because to get those kids UNC and schools like the ones the Big East recruits you need a better facility. I know you have to take care of the football stadium first, but the next capital improvement for TCU has to be a new basketball facility. New seats alone won't cut it. The rest of the facilities are really nice and we enjoyed our day. Hopefully my oldest keeps getting better at tennis and can swing a scholarship to your fine instution someday in the future.

ricksterh

great recap :biggrin: thanks for posting. CDC is awesome speaker and its amazing how much information he provides. He is a good fit for TCU and we are fortunate too have him in our corner. :biggrin:

TexasCard

Texas Card, good luck to your daughter on her aspirations.

Thanks Baby Face. She matter of factly said she wanted to go to TCU someday. I guess I will be buying some purple horned frog gear in the near future and one of those bumper stickers "My Princess Turned into a Frog".:biggrin: My Aggie wife is already having fits (she wants to disown him) over the fact our football playing son wants to go to t.u. Yuck! lol

HFrog1999

I hope TCU does gradual ticket price increases so they can find the market without hurting attendance. I'm all for maximum revenue but we need full stadiums.

westoverhillbilly

Oh, I did forget to add that CDC said the Houston market is key to the A&M addition to the SEC in that Houston is a strong A&M town with a good amount of LSU interest there too (alumnae and proximity to south Louisiana)... He said that making them conference mates creates a good synergy in that huge TV market and can make it largely an SEC town- not completely in that UT is as huge there too...

On that note, he said that the numbers of alums coming out of UT and A&M are like rabbits- they multiply in short intervals in that they're putting out 10,000 new alums every year and they're going mostly into the major markets of Texas... TCU is just putting out 1600 per year, so we're creeping along slowly compared to them...

TCU sold $10m within the last year in sports merchandise resulting in putting the profits amounting to $1m straight to the bottom line and deposited right into TCU's athletic department... He said this is a noteworthy metric in that it denotes that our brand has hit big time status... Still not near UT levels, but still more than respectable...

A new member was initiated into Rotary yesterday who was an A&M alum... He is a sharp African American in his 30's with undergrad and grad degrees in engineering.. Chris later recognized him by name and gave him a good dose of BS- it was a great exchange...

@TexasCard: We're working on the arena. When the stadium is done, the arena is next on the list. Joining the Big East sped that up.

@Westoverhillbilly: Thanks for the recap! Outstanding!

I'm a little concerned with this "have and have not" league idea gaining momentum...and CDC supporting it. I love that we are now a "have", but it wasn't long ago when we would have been considered a "have not". So if this idea happened 10 years ago, we'd be "stuck" in the inferior league and would not have had the opportunity we had to rise up the ranks.

UNLV sucks now, but should we forever keep them from having a shot of getting out of the dumps and becoming a BCS program? SMU is gaining momentum, should the NCAA kill that momentum by sending them to a lower league? Sure, they might be able to compete amongst their peers, but what if they get to the point where they are clearly dominant in that league? Will they have the chance to move up?

It's almost as if they need a relegation system like in European soccer. If you suck for 4 years, you get bumped down a league. If you kick [Craig James] in the lower league for 4 years, you get bumped up. It'll never happen that way, but I'm just worried that the have-nots will never have the opportunity we had.