• The KillerFrogs

Debbie Downer here....

FrogFaced

Somebody else should be the closer, love Farrell and what he's done for the program. Great. Kid. But the point is to win the game and he isn't cutting it. Teakel is a better choice. Now let's win this thing.

BABYFACE

It's a tough deal. We all know Riley has proven himself the last several seasons. It may better for him to get into game in a middle relief situation to get his confidence back without the pressure from attempting a save in the 9th inning of a game.

West Coast Johnny

BABYFACE said:
It's a tough deal. We all know Riley has proven himself the last several seasons. It may better for him to get into game in a middle relief situation to get his confidence back without the pressure from attempting a save in the 9th inning of a game.
I don't think Riley's problem is mental.  He looked awkward as hell out there and can't keep the ball down.  My guess is that it's a mechanical problem.

rifram09

Put me in the club that says we should throw him out in middle relief or in a game that we're way out in front (hope this happens again this season).

I don't know if it's mechanical or physical or both. But the big moment is simply compounding whatever it is and we're barely surviving it.

I don't fault CJS for throwing him out there again today, but I think it's time to try a new strategy.

puckster59

Yep, sad to say, but you have to play to win at this point. Chances to win a national championship don't come along often. Sucks for Riley, but he's lost it, whatever his problem is.

salamander

Rifram09 said:
Put me in the club that says we should throw him out in middle relief or in a game that we're way out in front (hope this happens again this season).

I don't know if it's mechanical or physical or both. But the big moment is simply compounding whatever it is and we're barely surviving it.

I don't fault CJS for throwing him out there again today, but I think it's time to try a new strategy.
Thrilled it worked out but don't you have to fault schloss??? Our group all thought we should stick with teakell...or guillory??? No one agreed with bringing Riley in. Get him an inning in the 6th or 7th as others have said.

TooColdU

Yeah I thought he should've gotten some work in on Saturday while we had a comfortable lead. Bring him in during a no pressure situation and maybe he can finally shake off whatever this is and be Riley again.

Moose Stuff

Hell, let Traver do it. Unbelievable that a talent like that is essentially buried on our staff in postseason play. No reason he can't succeed in late inning situations after what I saw last night. Kid was the reason we won that one.

Punter1

Moose Stuff said:
Hell, let Traver do it. Unbelievable that a talent like that is essentially buried on our staff in postseason play. No reason he can't succeed in late inning situations after what I saw last night. Kid was the reason we won that one.
Yes..him and Howard...they looked every bit as good as Young.

But don't you need to save that 4th starter in Omaha? I'd rather have Howard in the pen and keep Traver in the event we hit the losers bracket.

Also...how nervous and confused were you seeing Tyler pitch in the 9th. A walk was so predictable there. He hasn't seen that situation all year...especially on 2 days rest.

Moose Stuff

Punter1 said:
Yes..him and Howard...they looked every bit as good as Young.

But don't you need to save that 4th starter in Omaha? I'd rather have Howard in the pen and keep Traver in the event we hit the losers bracket.

Also...how nervous and confused were you seeing Tyler pitch in the 9th. A walk was so predictable there. He hasn't seen that situation all year...especially on 2 days rest.
Really zero need for a 4th starter in Omaha. Games too spread out.

Purp

salamander said:
Thrilled it worked out but don't you have to fault schloss??? Our group all thought we should stick with teakell...or guillory??? No one agreed with bringing Riley in. Get him an inning in the 6th or 7th as others have said.
You and your group are baseball geniuses.  I've said for a while here that Riley is trying to do too much on the mound.  He's trying to over throw all of his pitches, not just the fastball.  I think the pressure of the games has something to do with it, but I'm also wondering if the pressure of the draft has affected him too.  If so, each poor performance is compounding the pressure he's placing on himself to try to recover his draft position that's absolutely falling like a rock.  He's looked so bad lately I wonder if he's pitching himself back into a Frogs uniform next year to try to recover several rounds worth of signing bonus money.  It just seems obvious to me that he's not going out there to pitch; he's trying to do more than that and he forgets the situation doesn't allow him to control any of that other stuff except the batter in front of him.  

Last night I wanted to see Riley in the 9th.  I was of the mind that we can win a SR and get to Omaha, but we won't do what we want to do in Omaha without Riley firing on all cylinders.  Looking at it that way we really had nothing to lose bringing Riley in.  Last night with a 2 run lead was the last chance to get him right before Omaha.  We're going to be in Omaha now and I don't think Riley gives us the best chance to win games in the end.  It breaks my heart to see how he's unraveled lately, but he in his own head worse than Nuke Laloosh and he just isn't the same guy that had never blown a save 4 weeks ago.

I'd go with Traver and try to get Riley innings if we get a good lead.

McFroggin

West Coast Johnny said:
I don't think Riley's problem is mental.  He looked awkward as hell out there and can't keep the ball down.  My guess is that it's a mechanical problem.
I agree. This is a big concern to me. We should sit him until he figures it out. I'm concerned that he is doing something different and the speed at which he throws may increase his odds of self-injury.

f_399

He will have a very short leash but I think he is still the closer. Opponents know he is in a slump and will be really patient not swinging and just have him miss the strike zone.

Unfortunately, the game last night was pretty much over until he came in :sad: 

Shorty

I posted this in the game thread but when Riley was warming up in the pen Sunday he launched a ball over the catcher's left shoulder and hit the backstop.

Frogs1983

I almost lost it when Schloss brought Riley in in the 9th. Can't try to salvage one guy's issues at the expense of the team. Riley hasn't shown anything the past month that warranted being brought in that situation. Almost wound up costing Frogs their trip to Omaha.
The guy is lost, whatever the reason. It sucks for him, as he's been a force most of his time at TCU. Hoping he can things turned around AFTER the season. No more 9th inning save situations though please remainder of the season.