• The KillerFrogs

Debbie Downer here....

tetonfrog

Schloss has to go away from Riley now. He cannot throw 2 strikes in a row. Use teakell or anyone else to close games in Omaha. I wish Riley good luck, but this is something he will have to fix in rookie ball. Sad that his frog career ends like this, but his mechanics are gone.

jake102

Unless the score is up/down by 5+ runs, no need for Ferrell.

Traver ,Teakells, Howard, Guilleroy and Trieglaff are all better options. We have plenty of arms, no need to risk it.

Schloss almost cost the team a chance. Man

Flying T

Tier 1
Ron Swanson said:
I'm fairly confident we won't see Riley in a close late-inning situation again
Schloss may have made a "coaching mistake" bringing Riley in when he did, but there is no mistaking the fact that he purposefully built the deepest college pitching staff I've ever seen for situations like this series. He has foresight and long range plans that he executes flawlessly. All of that was self-evident as we unfurled quality arm after arm while aggy rode the same two horses to death the entire series.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
We to find Riley a good hypnotist. He's just got a bad case of the yips. My brother played 3rd base at SMU (yes kiddies, they did) and was a pretty good glove man, but hit stretch where he could just not find first base. He eventually worked thru it (on the bench). I think Aaron Boone had the same issue once. It just takes a long q tip. It's all between the ears. I wish him luck.

punter9

Riley has earned all the praise.  Great pitcher, lot ahead of him.  Last night, leave in Teak.  He had a good pitch count and looked good.   

Austintxfrog94

tin-cup-last-ball-560.gif

Stay the course man!

Young and Horned

Maybe the opportunity will present itself where we are up 4-5 runs and Starter is starting to run out of gas in the 6th-7th inning and he can come in then to provide relief. Could have Teak ready to go if needed. 

FrogSweep

I think that Riley needs to iron out his issue in a game situation. Bring him in as a starter for a few innings, or in the middle, when the game is not on the line, and let him work a few innings depending on performance.  Something has happened that I believe can only be ironed out in a game situation. The CWS is likely not the place to do this, but if we find one of those rare circumstances when we are far out ahead...

Frogs1983

No one is "bashing "Riley. We all respect what he's meant to the program. He is in a tough place right now, and Super Regionals 9th inning or CWS are not places to have him try to work through his issues. Wishing Riley alL the best, just not really up to another melt down performance like we've been seeing the past month from him.
Hopefully some Pro team can work on his issues at Rookie League level and get him straightened out, AFTER the CWS!

Paint It Purple

Hoosierfrog said:
We to find Riley a good hypnotist. He's just got a bad case of the yips. My brother played 3rd base at SMU (yes kiddies, they did) and was a pretty good glove man, but hit stretch where he could just not find first base. He eventually worked thru it (on the bench). I think Aaron Boone had the same issue once. It just takes a long q tip. It's all between the ears. I wish him luck.
you may be thinking about Chuck Knoblach

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Personally, I was begging coach to put him in when we went up 13-4 in the first game. It was a perfect spot to let him get his confidence back with no pressure.

gpfrog03

Traver needs to stay in a starter role. Possibility of playing 5 games in 7 days. Then turning around for 3 straight a day later. 

Trieglaff, Guillory and Teakell would be ideal hold/setup/closer because of different body builds, arm angles, and stuff. Howard and Teakell are too similar so it would be good to space them out. Howard is also a great inning eater when needed. 

Rotation of Alexander, Morrison, Young for games 1-3. Traver for game 4 if needed, then bring back Alexander for Game 5. Setup Morrison, Young, Traver/Alexander for game 3. Rotation might get switched up based on righty/lefty match ups. 

Purp

Hoosierfrog said:
I think you're right on.  For me this is a head issue.  He doesn't look awkward pitching other than the fact that it's obvious he trying too hard.  He's overthrowing every pitch in his arsenal.  His sudden collapse is eerily similar to Rick Ankiel.  That guy was phenomenal and then went completely bat [ Finebaum ] crazy and couldn't even hit the back stop.  I don't think Riley's issue is that extreme, but it's definitely in his head.  Hopefully being a day 2 pick of the Astros will help him clear his head.

punter9 said:
Riley has earned all the praise.  Great pitcher, lot ahead of him.  Last night, leave in Teak.  He had a good pitch count and looked good.   
Teak threw 70+ pitches Saturday.  Like Alexander, he was never going to go more than an inning and change last night.  I don't think Schloss ever had a thought of leaving Teak in for the 9th even if Riley wasn't an option.

FrogSweep said:
I think that Riley needs to iron out his issue in a game situation. Bring him in as a starter for a few innings, or in the middle, when the game is not on the line, and let him work a few innings depending on performance.  Something has happened that I believe can only be ironed out in a game situation. The CWS is likely not the place to do this, but if we find one of those rare circumstances when we are far out ahead...
I agree with this.  Fortunately for him he didn't plummet down draft boards.  He dropped out of 1st round consideration, but I was worried he could fall past the 4th or 5th round.

gpfrog03 said:
Traver needs to stay in a starter role. Possibility of playing 5 games in 7 days. Then turning around for 3 straight a day later. 

Trieglaff, Guillory and Teakell would be ideal hold/setup/closer because of different body builds, arm angles, and stuff. Howard and Teakell are too similar so it would be good to space them out. Howard is also a great inning eater when needed. 

Rotation of Alexander, Morrison, Young for games 1-3. Traver for game 4 if needed, then bring back Alexander for Game 5. Setup Morrison, Young, Traver/Alexander for game 3. Rotation might get switched up based on righty/lefty match ups. 
Under no circumstance whatsoever would I throw anybody in game 1 against LSU other than PMo.  I wouldn't even think of throwing anyone else.  I might consider saving Traver for a start if needed, but I think he'd add the most value as a closer in place of Riley.  

Just ask the question this way...

Would you rather him throw 7 innings in Omaha over one game or 6-7 innings over 6 games?  He could potentially be involved in winning 1 game versus 5-7.  I think he's our best guy for the closer role and considering Howard is a solid 4th starter I'd have Traver throwing my 9th innings.