• The KillerFrogs

"Dart" Turpin

4th. down

Gunner said:
Well, it might stick, spin off from "Sprint Darter"   and not all that original.

If you havent' seen the clips on this guy, go to Google and type in Kavantae Turpin. Check HUDL. This is the first guy I've seen that was shiftier than Kerley, that might be the next shocker on punts and kick returns.  Nobody ever had or ever will have as good of hands as did Kerley, but this guy is maybe faster, and is definitely quicker. 

He is smaller, probably 5'8 165 and GP describes his RB skills, but I just don't see him playing much running back.  Sometimes weights show up surprisingly different when a prospect lands in FW, often from old stats that haven't caught up.   So, we will see, but whatever he will be a terrific asset in our future offense. 

To say it is strange, the history of this guy's recruitment, you only have to look at the people who were after him.   Size, whatever, he didn't have all that many schools chasing him.  TCU got him late out of Monroe, La.  That town has produced a bunch of players for us.  And it shows something that GP and Frogs are doing, that others are not.  We will take guys more on speed and if they are smaller, we don't hold it against 'em.   We took at least 5 guys in this last class that are in the 5'8 to 5'10 165 to 170 types, but they can fly.  Maybe they work better in spread schemes, I guess so. 

That sure worked with Desmon White who quietly had a super season amidst a wide range of talented receivers, and as a true freshman. They show him as 5'7 150 in the program.   Can't wait to see him next year. If you review the games, as I did on my trusty Direct TV recorder, you can find Desmon getting wide open on several passes and making the play.  He is tough, super quick, and heady.  Frankly, after some of the plays he made, I was surprised they didn't expose him more.   I don't think safties can cover him as a general rule.  He gets out there, face up, and darts away from them so quickly, they cannot recover.   Sure the brilliant Meacham doesn't need my suggestions, but he ought to think about it.  :smile:

All true, but we had so much talent at receivers, not even counting the RB's to catch the ball, it was tough to get touches for everyone. And.........more coming on stream from last years's RS group. It's going to get even harder to get more touches. Not until this junior class graduates will Desmon, Turpentine, etc. get the touches they should. We are loaded, even running 5 wide schemes, we have plenty of available talent. Cumbie/Meacham are schemers - they, like no previous offensive coaches that we've had, isolate the weak secondary link and attack that weak link with our top receiver for that particular play which matches what yardage we need at the time - they are offensively brilliant.

VictoryLap

Ron Swanson said:
Not so fast my friend

Gunner is about to tell you all about how coaches can teach speed. According to him, LT was slow when he got to TCU and we made him fast.
It's common knowledge that you can teach speed but not accuracy.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
full house frog said:
Why did he go to New Mexico? Was he not recruited by TCU?is he famous?
One of his sons played for Franchione at SW Texas State, before it was Texas State.  The other played for Franchione and GP at New Mexico.

It was GP who recognized that Gunners son was not a LB and moved him to safety, where he played professionally for a number of years.  Once again, here is an example of a GP putting a player in the right position to succeed.

Who knows why Pat Sullivan did not recruit him but if he played and excelled for GP,  you can rest assured that he had the Frog Factor

Gunner

Sully wouldn't take him, then he made All Conference as Sully left town.  GP moved him from free to strong and it got him to 8 years in the pros.  He's told a bunch of people that and the first person to tell me, "GP is a genius". 

Gunner

Yea, I reserve the right to change my mind.  My wife told me,  about 200 times.  :wink:

I never played for TCU. 

Latest posts