• The KillerFrogs

"Dart" Turpin

Gunner

Well, it might stick, spin off from "Sprint Darter"   and not all that original.

If you havent' seen the clips on this guy, go to Google and type in Kavantae Turpin. Check HUDL. This is the first guy I've seen that was shiftier than Kerley, that might be the next shocker on punts and kick returns.  Nobody ever had or ever will have as good of hands as did Kerley, but this guy is maybe faster, and is definitely quicker. 

He is smaller, probably 5'8 165 and GP describes his RB skills, but I just don't see him playing much running back.  Sometimes weights show up surprisingly different when a prospect lands in FW, often from old stats that haven't caught up.   So, we will see, but whatever he will be a terrific asset in our future offense. 

To say it is strange, the history of this guy's recruitment, you only have to look at the people who were after him.   Size, whatever, he didn't have all that many schools chasing him.  TCU got him late out of Monroe, La.  That town has produced a bunch of players for us.  And it shows something that GP and Frogs are doing, that others are not.  We will take guys more on speed and if they are smaller, we don't hold it against 'em.   We took at least 5 guys in this last class that are in the 5'8 to 5'10 165 to 170 types, but they can fly.  Maybe they work better in spread schemes, I guess so. 

That sure worked with Desmon White who quietly had a super season amidst a wide range of talented receivers, and as a true freshman. They show him as 5'7 150 in the program.   Can't wait to see him next year. If you review the games, as I did on my trusty Direct TV recorder, you can find Desmon getting wide open on several passes and making the play.  He is tough, super quick, and heady.  Frankly, after some of the plays he made, I was surprised they didn't expose him more.   I don't think safties can cover him as a general rule.  He gets out there, face up, and darts away from them so quickly, they cannot recover.   Sure the brilliant Meacham doesn't need my suggestions, but he ought to think about it.  :smile:

frogyou

id love to see a supercut of each receivers catches. surely we have some guys on here that have the video editing skills to make that happen.

lord knows they dont have a life with as much as they post on here. :)

ATC Frog

I thought you were trying to nickname him "Spitfire"? What happened to that campaign?

Also: his nickname is Video Game as FIL already stated, which is awesome.

notyalc

frogyou said:
id love to see a supercut of each receivers catches. surely we have some guys on here that have the video editing skills to make that happen.

lord knows they dont have a life with as much as they post on here. :)

Frogyou nailed it. His nickname can be SuperCuts. No ones ever used that before.

ifrog

TechAdvisor said:
Y'all got a good one.  Was really hoping Tech would land this kid.  Reminds me of Jakeem Grant.
Nah, he reminds us of Kerley who was a TCU legend. Not a Tech player that only had two catches against us.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Ron Swanson said:
I wish Bad Nicknamer would quit trying to give all these kids bad nicknames.Hey
Hey..Gunner is a legend and a true Frog.

If he wants to call them Daisy Mae, I don't care

Ron Swanson

wes said:
Hey..Gunner is a legend and a true Frog.

If he wants to call them Daisy Mae, I don't care
Gummer is certainly a legend when it comes to giving bad nicknames.

And yes, I know who Gunner and his son are... he still deserves to catch some much deserved crap occasionally though.

All in good fun

Oh, and his nickname for old women is Granny Emma, not Daisy Mae

lowfrog

"To say it is strange, the history of this guy's recruitment, you only have to look at the people who were after him.   Size, whatever, he didn't have all that many schools chasing him.  TCU got him late out of Monroe, La.  That town has produced a bunch of players for us.  And it shows something that GP and Frogs are doing, that others are not.  We will take guys more on speed and if they are smaller, we don't hold it against 'em.   We took at least 5 guys in this last class that are in the 5'8 to 5'10 165 to 170 types, but they can fly.  Maybe they work better in spread schemes, I guess so."

GP explained it in the signing day video he did a week ago.  He basically said "I can make them bigger and stronger, but I can't make them faster.  So we recruit speed and we work on the rest when they get here."  The only surprise about this statement is how other college coaches have not picked up on this point about player recruiting and player development.  It is so basic.  The kids are still growing and you can easily get them stronger and bigger over the couple of years they are going to be in your program.  But you cannot make them faster.  They have that in their genes and you cannot affect it.  They either have the fast-twitch muscles or they don't.  That's why GP recruits the smaller, lighter guys who are fast.  And it is not just on offense.  GP recruits the same way on defense too. It is one of the critical elements of GP's and TCU's success.

Ron Swanson

lowfrog said:
"To say it is strange, the history of this guy's recruitment, you only have to look at the people who were after him.   Size, whatever, he didn't have all that many schools chasing him.  TCU got him late out of Monroe, La.  That town has produced a bunch of players for us.  And it shows something that GP and Frogs are doing, that others are not.  We will take guys more on speed and if they are smaller, we don't hold it against 'em.   We took at least 5 guys in this last class that are in the 5'8 to 5'10 165 to 170 types, but they can fly.  Maybe they work better in spread schemes, I guess so."

GP explained it in the signing day video he did a week ago.  He basically said "I can make them bigger and stronger, but I can't make them faster.  So we recruit speed and we work on the rest when they get here."  The only surprise about this statement is how other college coaches have not picked up on this point about player recruiting and player development.  It is so basic.  The kids are still growing and you can easily get them stronger and bigger over the couple of years they are going to be in your program.  But you cannot make them faster.  They have that in their genes and you cannot affect it.  They either have the fast-twitch muscles or they don't.  That's why GP recruits the smaller, lighter guys who are fast.  And it is not just on offense.  GP recruits the same way on defense too. It is one of the critical elements of GP's and TCU's success.
Not so fast my friend

Gunner is about to tell you all about how coaches can teach speed. According to him, LT was slow when he got to TCU and we made him fast.