• The KillerFrogs

Columbus Telegram: Down with the BCS? Here’s one way how:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Columbus Telegram: Down with the BCS? Here’s one way how:

By Nate Carey

... Simply put, it is my belief that if Boise State and TCU emerge as the top two teams in the BCS, the system will fail due to the NCAA’s inability to allow two teams from non-power conferences, and from smaller markets, to play for the national title. Now, there is a good amount of my own personal paranoia mixed in with this statement, but it seems fitting for these two squads to win out and finish the season undefeated, while having the other top undefeated teams slip at some point, falling in the proverbial trap we have come to know and love.

So to begin, Boise State and TCU will finish the season undefeated, therefore strengthening their rankings in the Harris and USA Today polls, and also raise their BCS stock. Next, the two teams currently ahead of Boise State — Oklahoma and Oregon — will have to lose at some point, as will Auburn, LSU and Michigan State. What I am about to lay out revolves around the thought that two undefeated teams will automatically make the national championship game, no matter their size, market, color scheme or creed. ...

But if the Broncos and Horned Frogs beat the system, literally, and end up facing each other in Glendale, Ariz., in January, then everything in college football will change ... for the better. ...

No. 9 Utah is currently ninth in the BCS standings, but with Boise State and TCU hogging the underdog spotlight, there just isn't any room for a third. If not, then there could be three undefeated teams from "mediocre" conferences sitting at the top, which wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Hey dumbass, (and I mean that collectively including all sports writers who don't pay attention) two of those three are in the same "mediocre" conference meaning 1) it is impossible for all three to finish undefeated and 2) that conference may not be as "mediocre" as you suspect ...

Froggy Style

Isn't it amazing how many football fans don't even know what teams are in what conferences? Even more amazing is that people who write about it for a living don't know. There's not that many, it's like remembering keys on the keyboard, there's not that many schools...it's just not that hard.

macaroni

Hey dumbass, (and I mean that collectively including all sports writers who don't pay attention) two of those three are in the same "mediocre" conference meaning 1) it is impossible for all three to finish undefeated and 2) that conference may not be as "mediocre" as you suspect ...

Plus, if Utah goes undefeated they may have the best case of all with victories over a top 5 team, Notre Dame, Pitt, having stomped a mudhole in a Big 12 team and having two previous BCS victories under their belt.

Dogfrog

I tried unsuccessfully to provide a link to this book just released by Dan Wetzel called "Death to the BCS". It looks like more than just preaching to the choir. Looks well researched and has documented the money trail. Haven't read it yet but plan to this week. Can't wait to hear the Ari Fleischer spin machine attack this one.

http://www.deathtothebcs.com/site/about_the_book/

I tried unsuccessfully to provide a link to this book just released by Dan Wetzel called "Death to the BCS". It looks like more than just preaching to the choir. Looks well researched and has documented the money trail. Haven't read it yet but plan to this week. Can't wait to hear the Ari Fleischer spin machine attack this one.

http://www.deathtoth...about_the_book/

I bought it on Thursday when it was released. He's been on a lot of radio and TV shows lately talking about the book. I've just started it, but it makes a good case.

macaroni

FYI, Dan Wetzel will be at the TCU bookstore for a book signing event this Saturday at 2:00... :)

ShivasFrog

I just finished Wetzel's book. Every serious college football fan should read it. Some of the inside financial info on how the BCS and bowl system really work is truly appalling.

SnoSki

Smaller markets? How is DFW a smaller market? Even Fort Worth alone can't be any smaller of a market than Columbus Ohio.

bbell

No. 9 Utah is currently ninth in the BCS standings, but with Boise State and TCU hogging the underdog spotlight, there just isn't any room for a third. If not, then there could be three undefeated teams from "mediocre" conferences sitting at the top, which wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Yeah, I basically stopped reading after this paragraph. He lost all his credibility when he didn't even bother to look up the non-AQ schedule. Maybe they will start paying more attention when BSU or TCU wins the BcS title and the other wins a different BCS bowl this year :angry:

Frog DJ

His entire scenario hinges on Boise's and TCU's abilities to make the national championship as undefeated teams, while all the AQ's around them suffer one less apiece.

Of course, we all know the powers-that-be would never allow such a thing to take place, and at least one of the 1-loss AQ's would go to the Big Show, instead of both Boise and TCU.

His was a flawed, but decent effort.

Go Frogs!

BABYFACE

Smaller markets? How is DFW a smaller market? Even Fort Worth alone can't be any smaller of a market than Columbus Ohio.

FTW is the 18th largest city in the country and that doesn't include cities residing inside it and next to it, like Benbrook, White Settlement and Keller and ect.

Temcat Frog

Interesting that this article comers from Columbus, Ohio the Monday after OSU moves out of 1st Place. Do I detect a "homer" mentality?