• The KillerFrogs

Clutch Points: TCU football’s 455-pound lineman ‘Big Bubba’ goes viral for crushing pancake blocks

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU football’s 455-pound lineman ‘Big Bubba’ goes viral for crushing pancake blocks​

Story by Nick Meyer

The TCU football team is coming off of a successful season that saw them get demolished by Georgia in the NCAA Football Title Game last season. Head Coach Sonny Dykes will need to replace stars including QB Max Duggan, now of the L.A. Chargers, and wide receiver Quentin Johnson among others.

Dykes opened up on the Horned Frogs’ historic run last season recently. The bar has been set considerably lower for TCU this season in terms of the amount of wins expected among sports bettors.

Whether the ‘Frogs will make a big splash in the postseason again depends largely on how their top players are replaced. Recently, a new star player has emerged from the TCU roster — a titanic 450-pound lineman from Dallas, Texas who has the potential to redefine how the offensive line position is played going forward, as evidenced by his incredible track record of crushing pancake blocks.

AA1eZdj7.img

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...viral-for-crushing-pancake-blocks/ar-AA1eYZrc

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU's 455-pound Brione Ramsey-Brooks is college football's latest obsession: 'New favorite athlete'

nypost.com.ico
New York Post|14 hours ago
Nicknamed "Big Bubba," Ramsey-Brooks has quickly caught the attention of college football fans and some are dubbing him their new "favorite athlete." "I have recently discovered my new favorite athlete. His name is Brione 'Big Bubba' Ramsey-Brooks," one Twitter user wrote.
iu

Which Oklahoma high school football players are committed to FBS programs?

www.msn.com.ico
The Oklahoman on MSN.com|43 minutes ago
Which Oklahoma high school football players are committed to FBS programs? Follow along with our Oklahoma high school football recruiting tracker.
iu

TCU's 455-pound offensive lineman from South Oak Cliff goes viral online

www.fox4news.com.ico
KDFW|18 hours ago
Brione "Big Bubba" Ramsey-Brooks played offensive guard for South Oak Cliff High School's back-to-back state championship teams in his junior and senior season.
iu

6-Foot-5, 455-Pound Freshman TCU Lineman Has College Football Fans Freaking Out

www.msn.com.ico
BroBible on MSN.com|22 hours ago
Football, especially at the Division I and professional level, is a game that is typically played by very, very large individuals. That much is evident
iu

Enormous TCU freshman stuns college football world

www.msn.com.ico
The Comeback on MSN.com|16 hours ago
Somehow, the Texas 5A all-state selection was only a three-star recruit, ranked as the No. 108 offensive lineman in the class of 2023, according to 247Sports. Watching Ramsey-Brooks' highlights, that doesn't seem possible. The player nicknamed "Big Bubba" is not, however, currently listed on the Horned Frogs depth chart.

Limey Frog

I'm sure we're working on some goal-line and short yardage packages with him. We were pretty dreadful in those situations last year (costing us a conference championship, obviously).

tcudoc

I recall in the mid 70's when Russell Washington was the biggest lineman in the NFL (I think) and he was just over 300lbs. Refrigerator Perry's playing weight was in the 330s. Though, the internet says he now weighs about 450lbs and is in his 50s.

lowfrog

Going to be interesting to hear about the strength and conditioning program he is pursuing. One article says he is not on the depth chart. Of course not. He is a weapon that's going to be deployed on a number of plays. When opponents see him trot onto the field, it's too late.

hfhmilkman

A few comments about big linemen. The goal is to equate mass to power. This means fast twitch muscle for speed. You need some slow twitch for endurance. Perhaps excess mass is useful for a DT whose job is to not be moved. But a lineman has to move. The reason why Bubba is a 3 star is despite his weight, he has a lot of bad weight. That bad weight is only going to hinder him. I will go out on a limb and say he is at least a couple years away from starting presuming he sticks with it. Smaller more agile defenders obliterate fat linemen presuming they have the endurance to play an entire drive. If the guy can be agile as a 400 pound plus human being and put on more muscle great. The pictures show a butterball ball not a bowling ball.

I am going to give a couple case studies. There was this guy named Greg Skrepenek. When he came to Michigan at 6 7 and 380 odd pounds, we thought we had the worlds greatest tackle. Then UM played Washington in the Rose Bowl. Mr Skrepenek had an awful game thanks to Steve Emtman who made him look slow and weak. Okay, that may be a bit unfair as Emtman was a steroid freak whose body fell apart because he was beyond the pale of reality. Emtman looked like a Sauron Supersolider from the Larry Niven universe. But Skrepenek in order to succeed in the NFL slimmed down to 320. His extra mass just meant he could not handle an athletic DE with speed and power.

Another steroid monster I recall was Tony Mandarich. The incredible bulk was supposed to be the worlds greatest lineman. Yet a 250 pound DE by the name of Mark Messner abused him in college. I remember watching the game and Messner doing whatever he wanted against a guy who was almost 100 pound heavier at the time. I could have told the Packers Mandarich was a fraud. His muscles did not equate to power on the field.

I am being long winded and will paraphrase down for Mr Eight. If bulk does not translate to speed and power, it is useless for an offensive lineman. The guy is on a DivI program. Up to him to have the will to reshape his body. He is going to have to pull, do a reach, or release to the 2nd level to play P5 football. That requires agility. I guarantee you that if Butterball attempted to block Johnny Hodges in space today, he would not find him. Hodges could do a couple loops and than obliterate the individual that was supposed to be protected. Maybe he could stay with Hodges on the first snap of practice. How about the 50th? Not saying he can't do it after a few years of experience.

Last edited:

LisaLT

A few comments about big linemen. The goal is to equate mass to power. This means fast twitch muscle for speed. You need some slow twitch for endurance. Perhaps excess mass is useful for a DT whose job is to not be moved. But a lineman has to move. The reason why Bubba is a 3 star is despite his weight, he has a lot of bad weight. That bad weight is only going to hinder him. I will go out on a limb and say he is at least a couple years away from starting presuming he sticks with it. Smaller more agile defenders obliterate fat linemen presuming they have the endurance to play an entire drive. If the guy can be agile as a 400 pound plus human being and put on more muscle great. The pictures show a butterball ball not a bowling ball.

I am going to give a couple case studies. There was this guy named Greg Skrepenek. When he came to Michigan at 6 7 and 380 odd pounds, we thought we had the worlds greatest tackle. Then UM played Washington in the Rose Bowl. Mr Skrepenek had an awful game thanks to Steve Emtman who made him look slow and weak. Okay, that may be a bit unfair as Emtman was a steroid freak whose body fell apart because he was beyond the pale of reality. Emtman looked like a Sauron Supersolider from the Larry Niven universe. But Skrepenek in order to succeed in the NFL slimmed down to 320. His extra mass just meant he could not handle an athletic DE with speed and power.

Another steroid monster I recall was Tony Mandarich. The incredible bulk was supposed to be the worlds greatest lineman. Yet a 250 pound DE by the name of Mark Messner abused him in college. I remember watching the game and Messner doing whatever he wanted against a guy who was almost 100 pound heavier at the time. I could have told the Packers Mandarich was a fraud. His muscles did not equate to power on the field.

I am being long winded and will paraphrase down for Mr Eight. If bulk does not translate to speed and power, it is useless for an offensive lineman. The guy is on a DivI program. Up to him to have the will to reshape his body. He is going to have to pull, do a reach, or release to the 2nd level to play P5 football. That requires agility. I guarantee you that if Butterball attempted to block Johnny Hodges in space today, he would not find him. Hodges could do a couple loops and than obliterate the individual that was supposed to be protected. Maybe he could stay with Hodges on the first snap of practice. How about the 50th? Not saying he can't do it after a few years of experience.
I think it’s fairly obvious this young man is a project and has some serious work to do in order to be an effective lineman. If he has the discipline he can do it. Time will tell. One thing in his favor are the strength and conditioning coaches at TCU.

DeuceBoogieNights

That’s incredible. I hope he slims down for his sake. Even if he dropped 100 lbs he’d still be 355! At his current weight I worry his knees will give out. Just look at NYJ Mekhi Becton.

This. I hope our staff has a plan to get him to cut weight. That's not healthy. Drop 75-100 pounds and he could be a beast.