• The KillerFrogs

Choke kings

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
If we are basing it on rings then Robery Horry is as good as Michael Jordan.
Ha! Good point.

Building off that, I have additional respect for Dirk trying to earn his ring here instead of jumping to a "superfriends" squad as seems to be the rage these days to get a ring the easy way.

maximilian

Ha! Good point.

Building off that, I have additional respect for Dirk trying to earn his ring here instead of jumping to a "superfriends" squad as seems to be the rage these days to get a ring the easy way.

And he took a pay cut to do it, so Cubes could have some coin to drop on a FA sometime. Gotta hope for someone like Deron Williams in 2012, barring him signing an extension in NJ.

TCURiggs

He's a very good QB but not great. QB's are largely judged by rings.

Is he better than Trent Dilfer, absolutely. But not in the same league as someone like Roethelisburger (sp) who doesn't have the stats but has rings.

Marino is widely regarded as one of the greatest QBs of all-time. Just bc he wasn't on a great team with a dominate defense like big Ben doesn't mean he isn't great.

maximilian

He's a very good QB but not great. QB's are largely judged by rings.

Is he better than Trent Dilfer, absolutely. But not in the same league as someone like Roethelisburger (sp) who doesn't have the stats but has rings.

But that's the thing: Big Ben DOES have much better stats than anyone gives him credit for.

5 straight years of 3000 yards, with a 4000 yard season thrown in there, along with a minimum of 59.7% completions (2010, he was 66.6%, which was the highest in his career).

Is he Brady or Manning with the 4000 yard seasons? No, but considering his teams are usually built around the running game, those are excellent #s. I will say his TD/INT ratio of 1.67 isn't special, but it's to this point marred by the fact that he had 18 TD/23 INT in 2006. Take that season out, and it's 126/63, or 2 to 1. Much better looking.

Point of all this was basically to say that Big Ben gets labeled as a game manager, but he's really much better than that. Also, giving QBs all the blame and glory is stupid anyway. There are 22 players on each team that are capable of making game changing plays, and Roethelisberger also happens to have one of the best defenses year in and out playing on the other side of the ball for his club.

I'd say in basketball, one player can mean much more for a team than football, but it's still a team game at the end of the day. The best teams have superstars, but they also have great bench depth and role players so that drop off is minimal when the stars take their breathers. Dirk's been elite in the regular season, and legendary in the playoffs, most years. His supporting cast has flopped on him way too often, though.

OmniscienceFrog

Omni, have you ever competed in team sports at any level?

Yes I have.

I'm asking this in a genuine way, because if you have, you have forgotten the most important rule to winning in team sports. Not only that, but you have managed to take shots at my own intelligence. Heck, you've managed to follow me to other threads and do the same thing. Look man, (and I hope the other Dirk fans are reading too) defense wins championships at any level, in any team sport. The difference between Dirk and the other whom I have listed as superstars is that very thing. In his 13th season in the league, he is still basically the same defensive player he was when he was a rookie.

So, I see we're changing the criteria in mid stream here. It's all about defensive play now? Took you a while to come up with that. Dirk is not a defensive superstar, but he is not a big defensive liability either and if you knew half as much about things you think you do you would know he is not the same defensive player he was as a rookie. I do understand your love of Dwight Howard now though.

Look man, yes, believe it or not, I read other threads on this forum, and if you make questionable comments in them I am likely to respond to them, just like I have in this one.

He doesn't deserve and won't get the superstar status you all feel he deserves because he's not a complete player. In other words, he's not a difference maker/game-changer at both ends of the floor. He slid to the 9th pick in the '98 draft because GM's thought his feet were too slow to play defense. Of course everyone knows he's not a defensive genius. Hence the reason you have Dampier, Diop, S Marion, T Chandler on the team. They're there to make up the defensive defecit that your team leader has. Instead of building on to what he offers there, the team is trying to cover. There is no covering in the playoffs man. I don't know what else to tell you except I admire your loyalty to him, but try to control your emotions man. No need for the insults. Chill. Oh yeah, give him credit when they win, but stop giving him excuses when they lose. It's his team.

I see, he is expected to win singlehandedly. No teammates for him.

Believe it not not guys, I am a Mavs follower
That's where the 'mad scientist' Doug Nelson chose him.

Doug Nelson? I guess the smart move would be to choose not.

2314@work

Contributor
The Mavs are going to lose in Game 6 and everybody knows that. Fact!
Hey snooppunk, based on what? Portland has only won in the games where refs have picked on Chandler and put him on the bench with foul trouble on ticky-tacky calls.
But, if you were to tell me you have some inside info from NBA office then I and everyone else would certainly believe your post.
The "fact" is that Dallas should have swept the lowlife Portland Trailer Park Blazers.

maximilian

Hey snooppunk, based on what? Portland has only won in the games where refs have picked on Chandler and put him on the bench with foul trouble on ticky-tacky calls.
But, if you were to tell me you have some inside info from NBA office then I and everyone else would certainly believe your post.
The "fact" is that Dallas should have swept the lowlife Portland Trailer Park Blazers.

I love Portland. Not trailer park at all.

2themax

Yes I have.

So, I see we're changing the criteria in mid stream here. It's all about defensive play now? Took you a while to come up with that. Dirk is not a defensive superstar, but he is not a big defensive liability either and if you knew half as much about things you think you do you would know he is not the same defensive player he was as a rookie. I do understand your love of Dwight Howard now though.

Look man, yes, believe it or not, I read other threads on this forum, and if you make questionable comments in them I am likely to respond to them, just like I have in this one.

Spoken like a true Dirk fan. Well anyway you ask for it and you got it. No player who only plays on one end of the floor should even be mentioned as a superstar. Took me a while because I was dealing with you and your little mob last time. I didn't change anything that I've been saying by the way. Dirk is a 7ft jump shooter that scores 25 pts a game. That doesn't make him an elite player by any means. You can crack at me all you want, it only means that you are changing in midstream and not discussing the real topic. You sound frustrated. Heck, even a little mad. Oh, stop the stalking cause it's pathetic.

I would never expect that from Dirk because I know he's not capable of it.
That's funny you mention that cause Chandler scored 14 and had almost as many rebs as Dirk had pts(20) and Jet put up 20 pts in that win last night. Oh yeah, your superstar had only 2 rebs in 38 mins in that meltdown loss saturday. He played more mins than anyone on the team and managed to tie the sub pt guard in that category, but I imagine that maybe it was Jet's or Jason's fault. Maybe they were standing in his way and he couldn't get to the basket, huh?

As for the pick, he fit the Nelson MO, jump shots-no defense. Don't know what that response is about, but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say. Finish the sentence. "I guess the smart move would be to not choose" Dirk and think that he could be your alpha wolf. There, I did it for you.

2themax

Yes I have.

[/qu
Dang it I messed up my response Omni, so read in the blue will ya? Hey, I don't believe I'm a Dirk defensive expert, but I don't have to be when he stands in the paint in their zone defense and allows the opponents to dunk and score layups. My assumption is he probably did that as a rookie too. The guy can at least give a hard foul or something. Wouldn't you agree?

OmniscienceFrog

Don't know what that response is about, but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say. Finish the sentence. "I guess the smart move would be to not choose" Dirk and think that he could be your alpha wolf. There, I did it for you.

Of course you don't know what the response was about. Why, I don't know.

And yes, I understand what you are trying to say. The problem is that it doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about. It had absolutely nothing to do with Dirk.

Let me spell it out for you. Here is what you said previously:

Believe it not not guys, I am a Mavs follower........

Of course I had to decipher it myself, but I think you were trying to say "Believe it or not, I am a Mav's follower........

I then used that statement, along with your statement in another post where you said "That's where the 'mad scientist' Doug Nelson chose him", to deduce that you must NOT be much of a Mavs follower if you think Nelson's name is Doug. Hence the conclusion that choosing NOT much of a follower would be the better choice between believing it or NOT believing it, leaving us with my statement of "Doug Nelson? I guess the smart move would be to choose not." (you know, one of the two choices, BELIEVE IT or NOT)

Not sure I can spell it out any more simply than that for you.

2314@work

Contributor
I love Portland. Not trailer park at all.

Never been there, other than the airport. Their fans seem great. Typical fans - like SA - who don't have any other major league sport to cheer for so they are a tough home basketball crowd. Why is it when a town has just one sport it is NBA?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Never been there, other than the airport. Their fans seem great. Typical fans - like SA - who don't have any other major league sport to cheer for so they are a tough home basketball crowd. Why is it when a town has just one sport it is NBA?
17K seats to fill as opposed to 40K+ for one. And the Columbus Blue Jackets resent that remark.

pcf

Of course you don't know what the response was about. Why, I don't know.

And yes, I understand what you are trying to say. The problem is that it doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about. It had absolutely nothing to do with Dirk.

Let me spell it out for you. Here is what you said previously:

Of course I had to decipher it myself, but I think you were trying to say "Believe it or not, I am a Mav's follower........

I then used that statement, along with your statement in another post where you said "That's where the 'mad scientist' Doug Nelson chose him", to deduce that you must NOT be much of a Mavs follower if you think Nelson's name is Doug. Hence the conclusion that choosing NOT much of a follower would be the better choice between believing it or NOT believing it, leaving us with my statement of "Doug Nelson? I guess the smart move would be to choose not." (you know, one of the two choices, BELIEVE IT or NOT)

Don't nit pick. We all know he meant Dan. Dan Nelson. His son is Dann with 2 n's.