• The KillerFrogs

Chip Brown on Notre Dame joining as non football member

Genbukan

If ND football stays seperate until the NBC contract is up then this is a no brainer. However, I doubt we get a firm comittment from the Irish to move the football now. I think they are just protecting football independance for as long as is possible.

I despise the special treatment on a couple different levels. I really think whats going to happen is that ND ends up playing the ut's and ou's of the conference and the rest of us never get to see a game. I have a sneaking suspicision that espn works it so that the ut/nd game in austin somehow magically appears on the LHN.

But given the landscape of college football right now I guess its a decent move. Strategically it takes ND away from the ACC so that the programs that are thinking about leaving (FSU, Clemson, VaTech) can't be conned by Swofford into thinking that the calvary is coming to save the day. And just the chance that ND football will come on board does make the big xii even more attractive to potential expansion candidates.

XIIFrog

While I'm a bit skeptical about partial membership, I think ND would be a huge addition to the XII. There's a reason every conference wants them, they have a huge following and bring a ton of $$. It will ultimately come down to how the playoff is structured, and I think it will be vital to be a part of the 4 major football conferences (PAC, XII, SEC, B10) moving forward.

macaroni

I think inviting ND is a must to get enough votes to bring in FSU and Clemson.

This. Most of the "insider" talk around this issue is that UT really wants ND and the rest of the league wants FSU and Clemson and very soon both will have what they want. Now that the playoff structure looks like it will not require conference champions the ACC is in a very tough spot and ND doesn't need to lose their football independence. The ACC's one hope was to land ND, and Deloss is taking that away from them. The Big 4 now enter the playoff negotiations in lockstep with all of the power.

noushaddup

The money will be flying in all directions as a partial membership rips apart the Big 12.

I can't even believe this is on the table.
Just say no.

TCUdirtbag

It should be noted that its the "Big 12," not the "Big XII.". Per the conference website.

BIG 12 ... AS EASY AS 1 - 2 When referring to the Big 12 Conference, please remember the conference name (which is a registered trademark) should be listed as follows:

Big 12
The following should NOT be used in text when referencing the Big 12:
Big XII
Big Twelve

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1514841

asleep003

Would be happy with an 11.5(ND) member Big12 conference. Just add Louisville or Cinci and would have a great North and $outh BB division$.[sup] [/sup]

Cheers !

macaroni

Would be happy with an 11.5(ND) member Big12 conference. Just add Louisville or Cinci and would have a great North and $outh BB division$.[sup] [/sup]

Cheers !

Why not 10.5? Why add an 11th team to lose the round robin format if ND isn't playing football? If Louisville or Cincy were targets by themselves they would have been added before now.

TCUdirtbag

Cheers !

Cinci brings no value. Louisville is questionable unless ND makes them a requirement for the Irish. Better options exist.

Stiff Arm Frog

Notre Dame will never join the Big12 in football, period. So basically all you're getting from adding ND would be basketball and maybe baseball.

The Irish have a big fanbase, but does their basketball team really bring in that much more money than, say Louisville? Or Clemson? I have to imagine that if there is a difference that favors the Irish then the gap is only marginal. That being the case, why wouldn't you just bring in someone like FSU who you know will meaningfully contribute and be there for the long term?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Do they use a 6-4-2 as well? Or is that their primary model?

I just know ND doesn't play 5-6 road games a year & they'll have road games locked up in current series ND won't be dropping.

Last few years 6 home, 4 away and 2 neutral including one in Ireland. That will be their scheduling for a while anyway.

froginaustin

+1 Louisville is good candidate but FSU/Clemson/Gtech/Miami are better. With Miami and Gtech the gap is considerably smaller.

I read somewhere (prolly a Louisville fan posting on a BE board :rolleyes: ) that Loovul has the #1 revenue-producing men's basketball program in the country. That ought to be worth something.

cdsfrog

I read somewhere (prolly a Louisville fan posting on a BE board :rolleyes: ) that Loovul has the #1 revenue-producing men's basketball program in the country. That ought to be worth something.

40+ million in revenue for basketball. omg

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2011/11/17/louisville-tops-duke-in-basketball.html