• The KillerFrogs

Chip Brown on Notre Dame joining as non football member

ATXFrog

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1377426

Say's two sources says it's more and more likely ND to join as non football member. Hopefully TCU can get a football game scheduled. Although with LSU and then Arky on future schedule I'm not sure we would want a game until 2017.

Basketball will be great gain and wouldn't mind seeing TCU/ND in baseball..

Boomhauer

http://texas.rivals....asp?CID=1377426

Say's two sources says it's more and more likely ND to join as non football member. Hopefully TCU can get a football game scheduled. Although with LSU and then Arky on future schedule I'm not sure we would want a game until 2017.

Ugh. I say all in or all out. Partial membership is a joke (unless TCU gets a game against ND every other year). Also gives UT an argument for one day doing the same thing.

Kaiser

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1377426

Good god that sounds terrible. Can't wait to be the new big east & give our bowl slots to Notre Dame. Hopefully Texas can soon use the B12 as an Olympic sports conference & go Indy as well.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Ugh. I say all in or all out. Partial membership is a joke (unless TCU gets a game against ND every other year). Also gives UT an argument for one day doing the same thing.

Agree. Let their football die on the vine. I'm sick of their preferential treatment.

All or nothing.

Stiff Arm Frog

I have two sources that say Shania Twain is interested in sleeping with me.

Unfortunately, she was a lot hotter 20 years ago. The agreement is also conditional on my being faithful, but her getting to swing with anyone she feels like.

ATXFrog

Good god that sounds terrible. Can't wait to be the new big east & give our bowl slots to Notre Dame. Hopefully Texas can soon use the B12 as an Olympic sports conference & go Indy as well.

Well we would have to add 7 non football schools to become the big East. Who cares about the one Bowl slot? Notre Dame addition would mean that better bowls would want to be tied with Big 12/Notre Dame.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Well we would have to add 7 non football schools to become the big East. Who cares about the one Bowl slot? Notre Dame addition would mean that better bowls would want to be tied with Big 12/Notre Dame.

You mean the basketball bowls or the baseball bowls?

Understand the resistence to ND as a partial member, but I think it is a nice power move for the league. The 2 guaranteed home games against ND is going to make the TV contract even more valuable, and ND is a very strong draw in olympic sports as well. And it basically means the big 12 is ND's landing spot once they do join a league. I also think it will make it even easier to expand with ACC teams later. I think it is a strategic move that increases the Big 12's position and power.

ATXFrog

Chip Brown is always right.

In regards to the TCU Big 12 he was pretty spot on with the timeline. Was first to say Texas changing tune about TCU after Neinas on College Gameday said some Big 12 Schools had issue with adding another school from Texas.

But yes, there was the Texas to Pac 12 ACC commentary as well. But for all we know that may have almost happened.

worthag03

The 2 guaranteed home games against ND is going to make the TV contract even more valuable

I missed this, where was this reported? If so, I think it's a good move just to pigeon hole ND into the big 12. I also find it interesting that Chip said the big 12 wasn't interested in Florida State or Clemson.

TEUFELI

Hopefully TCU can get a football game scheduled. Although with LSU and then Arky on future schedule I'm not sure we would want a game until 2017.

I take that to mean that b/c in the coming yrs we have legit OOC games already, thus we don't need to add another "tough" OOC game to our schedule? Correct??

IMO - when thinking of adding a Notre Dame to our OOC schedule...this isnt even a consideration. Hell, I think playing a La Tech may be tougher.

Playing ND would be awesome, and a really cool trip. But to me, it would be a cream puff game from a competitive standpoint.

ATXFrog

You mean the basketball bowls or the baseball bowls?

I don't think Big East hurt from having Notre Dame associated with their bowls. Guess I don't give a damn about that because our Football bowls are going to be a hell of a lot better then they were in the Mountain West. It's not like an eligible Big 12 team isn't going to find a place for a bowl. I want BCS, new playoff spots??, or Champions Bowl.

Limey Frog

I'm not entirely thrilled about this idea, but mostly because I worry that the league would be giving DeLoss the main thing he wants while getting nothing in return but vague promises. What if FSU and Clemson are interested later and Texas vetoes? That said, I tend to lean toward thinking the good outweighs the bad here.

I get the hate for Notre Dame, and I get the reluctance to give preferntial treatment. But the article suggested ND might play as many six annual football games against Bevo 10 members. Assume two of those are UT and OU, even if two others are against dreck like KU to give them a break, you're still looking at mabye 4-5 decent ND-Bevo 10 matchups every season. That will add enormous monetary value to our TV contract and can only help the league's appeal to present members of the ACC.

Who wouldn't be excited about ND playing at AGC stadium or seeing the Frogs in South Bend? Even if you hate them, you know it's a big deal to play them. Regardless of whether or not it should be.

ATXFrog

I take that to mean that b/c in the coming yrs we have legit OOC games already, thus we don't need to add another "tough" OOC game to our schedule? Correct??

IMO - when thinking of adding a Notre Dame to our OOC schedule...this isnt even a consideration. Hell, I think playing a La Tech may be tougher.

Playing ND would be awesome, and a really cool trip. But to me, it would be a cream puff game from a competitive standpoint.

Correct. And really this is what Patterson has said in the past.
A game against Notre Dame will be billed as a tough game no matter what their record. So we would get credit even if you think it would be a creampuff game. Considering Notre Dame handled Utah 2 years ago I don't agree they are La Tech level. LSU or Arky tough? no.. Oregon St, Clemson, Utah, BYU tough? Yes..

LSU,SMU or Arky,SMU with one spot left. I don't think Notre Dame meets the criteria for the ideal Patterson schedule. It's tough with only 3 non conference games.