• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Bengals owner says Andy Dalton contract creates roster dilemma

tcufrogprince1

Todd D. said:
He has pretty much the same contract that Kaep has, and he has performed the way Kaep has to earn the big contract.

That said, it could be perfect for the Bengals. Something like $8-10 million looks a lot better to a guy who is making 700k than it does a guy making $9 million already, especially if he hasn't had the kind of success to justify big contract demands.

I love and support Andy but he hasn't come close to performing like kap.

Planks

geno said:
Don't you wish Andy were as good as Romo so he could get that $120 million contract?  What, you say Romo hasn't had the Cowboys in the playoffs in how many years?  You say the Cowboys are exactly 118 wins, 118 losses under Romo's direction?  What a strange world!
You're making an apples to oranges comparison. Romo has played on Cowboys teams with a fraction of the caliber of defenses Dalton has been blessed with in Cincinnatti. The Cowboys had the third worst defense of ALL TIME last season, but Romo was still able to get the Cowboys to 8-7. I'm sorry but put Dalton on a team with the third worst defense of all time and they are he is not going to the playoffs.

And fwiw, Romo was WAY better in his first three playoff games than Dalton was in his.

Romo is a good (not great) quarterback propping up a terrible, mismanaged franchise. I still don't see how people don't understand this. It's like everyone has forgotten how TERRIBLE the cowboys were in the years after the 90s dynasty before Romo came around. If your GM sucks, Coaching sucks, drafting sucks, salary cap management sucks, defense sucks, then nothing less than a "Hall of Fame" type QB is going to get you to the playoffs. And Romo is not a hall of fame QB.

ShreveFrog

Wow, I hope that writer feels better after that rant. Rookie Andy lost to backup rookie TJ Yates of the Texans in the playoffs? Uh, no, the Bengals lost to a suffocating Texans defense.  

How could the Bengals possibly get a better qb after next season than a 4-year vet Andy?  They should commit. 

MAcFroggy

Yeah, the weird thing about that article is that he does not say who they should replace him with.  If they currently have a good team (which the writer thinks they do), then they probably do not want to start from scratch with another rookie quarterback.  There is a lot of risk in that strategy, and it is not like good NFL caliber QBs are growing on trees.  There is not enough good QBs in the league as it is, and he thinks getting rid of one of them is the way to go?

I do not think Dalton is a truly elite QB in the NFL.  As such, I do not think he deserves a Romo, Ryan, Flacco, etc level deal.  But somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 million per season will lock in a serviceable NFL QB and still leave the Bengals space to sign a quality roster around him.

DubaiFrog

MAcFroggy said:
Yeah, the weird thing about that article is that he does not say who they should replace him with.  If they currently have a good team (which the writer thinks they do), then they probably do not want to start from scratch with another rookie quarterback.  There is a lot of risk in that strategy, and it is not like good NFL caliber QBs are growing on trees.  There is not enough good QBs in the league as it is, and he thinks getting rid of one of them is the way to go?

I do not think Dalton is a truly elite QB in the NFL.  As such, I do not think he deserves a Romo, Ryan, Flacco, etc level deal.  But somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 million per season will lock in a serviceable NFL QB and still leave the Bengals space to sign a quality roster around him.

Heard that a lot after the Bengals lost in the playoffs, but they don't have an alternative and rebuilding would lose their window to win. Even if they do cut lose with Andy he'll get picked up somewhere for a big contract. Matt Flynn and Kevin Kolb got big contracts based off a couple games coming in as a backup.

cdsfrog

Jake102 said:
Talent outside of the QB position. I should have specified... Right now Dalton is the weak link
Paper tiger. Results show they are average to mediocre against great opponents . Talent evaluation is Massively overrated. See TCU baseball

geno

Planks said:
You're making an apples to oranges comparison. Romo has played on Cowboys teams with a fraction of the caliber of defenses Dalton has been blessed with in Cincinnatti. The Cowboys had the third worst defense of ALL TIME last season, but Romo was still able to get the Cowboys to 8-7. I'm sorry but put Dalton on a team with the third worst defense of all time and they are he is not going to the playoffs.

And fwiw, Romo was WAY better in his first three playoff games than Dalton was in his.

Romo is a good (not great) quarterback propping up a terrible, mismanaged franchise. I still don't see how people don't understand this. It's like everyone has forgotten how TERRIBLE the cowboys were in the years after the 90s dynasty before Romo came around. If your GM sucks, Coaching sucks, drafting sucks, salary cap management sucks, defense sucks, then nothing less than a "Hall of Fame" type QB is going to get you to the playoffs. And Romo is not a hall of fame QB.

Planks, please list of us the number of Division Titles Romo has won for us.  List them in order, will you.  What?  NO division titles in all these years?  Hmmm.  OH,  all the Cowboy defense's fault?  Right, remember how the "defense" threw  six interceptions in the last quarter of pivotal games.  Remember how the "defense" fumbled the snapback in Seattle.  Uh huh.  

Planks

geno said:

Planks, please list of us the number of Division Titles Romo has won for us.  List them in order, will you.  What?  NO division titles in all these years?  
Listed chronologically?