• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Bengals owner says Andy Dalton contract creates roster dilemma

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
CBS Sports: Bengals owner says Andy Dalton contract creates roster dilemma

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

In terms of the 2011 NFL Draft, Andy Dalton was a steal. A second-round pick out of TCU, he assumed the Bengals' starting job immediately and he's held it ever since. In three seasons, Cincinnati has won nine, 10 and 11 games, and three times qualified for the playoffs.

Unfortunately, once the Bengals get to the postseason, their luck runs out. They're 0-3 and Dalton has struggled, completing 57 percent of his throws with just one touchdown and six interceptions.

Dalton's now entering the final year of his rookie contract, but NFL economics could make it problematic for the Bengals to give the quarterback a big-money deal. ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24498681/bengals-owner-says-andy-dalton-contract-creates-roster-dilemma-

Zubaz

He has pretty much the same contract that Kaep has, and he has performed the way Kaep has to earn the big contract.

That said, it could be perfect for the Bengals. Something like $8-10 million looks a lot better to a guy who is making 700k than it does a guy making $9 million already, especially if he hasn't had the kind of success to justify big contract demands.

DubaiFrog

Todd D. said:
He has pretty much the same contract that Kaep has, and he has performed the way Kaep has to earn the big contract.

That said, it could be perfect for the Bengals. Something like $8-10 million looks a lot better to a guy who is making 700k than it does a guy making $9 million already, especially if he hasn't had the kind of success to justify big contract demands.

Agreed, Andy needs to have another big stats year and a playoff win and he'll get paid like Cutler. However if they offered him a Sanchez like contract before the season (3 years $27M ish) he'd be crazy to pass it up. I could see him taking a little less money so they can keep AJ green too. 

As was discussed in the Matt Carpenter contract, earning the first $10-20M is more important than anything else. That type of money sets you up financially for life if you invest it wisely. The rest is all gravy as far as I'm concerned, however i'm not a professional athlete so I probably have a different scale.

froginaustin

I'd be shocked if Dalton put his money (when he gets it) into diamond jewelry, Bentley motor cars, outrageous housing, ultra-expensive hobbies, etc., etc.  He seems to have more character, perspective, and smarts than that.

jake102

Dalton is going to be fine financially.

I just hope he stays with the Bengals because they have a top 3 team IMO.

cheese83

Jake102 said:
Dalton is going to be fine financially.

Top 3 team? They suck in the playoffs and Dalton has under performed when it mattered. They need to win the AFC first.

jake102

cheese83 said:
Top 3 team? They suck in the playoffs and Dalton has under performed when it mattered. They need to win the AFC first.
Talent outside of the QB position. I should have specified... Right now Dalton is the weak link

cheese83

Jake102 said:
Talent outside of the QB position. I should have specified... Right now Dalton is the weak link

Lots of teams look good until you get to their QB. He is better than half the league, but he has really choked in the playoffs. Not sure if he takes too many chances or what, but 20 INTs is a lot.

ShreveFrog

They were hurt by injuries last year, mainly on defense, and Dalton had a poor game in the playoff loss to Chargers. I agree with Jake. They have a chance to be special. Maybe they put it together this year. Draft Verrett!!!

geefrogs

lots of QBs have lost playoff games.  multiple games as well before they got their first win.

if not Andy as your QB....who is Cincy going to get that is an upgrade over him and allows them to win now?

pay the man a decent salary.  the owner is positioning himself to not look like a cheap-skate.  too bad Cincy fans know him all too well....

f_399

I think Andy has the best chance to succeed in Cincy.

They have talent on both sides of the ball.

What better team then cincy needs a qb and will take Andy?

Limp Lizard

Jerry Jones is an awfully bad GM, but one thing he has not been is cheap.  Lots of teams never get good due to the owner's greed.  Cowboys just have a bad GM, who is really close to the owner.

TCUdirtbag

Thanks for posting this. Interesting.

I'll be surprised if they cut him. He's not going to get a monster deal, but he'll get a big raise. I don't think Cinci can get a good deal on a bigger name--they're pretty cheap, and they have so muh talent on the roster they wouldn't be wise to grab a new rookie. They need Dalton to develop in the next 2-3 years, so it's a risk, but a better risk than starting back at square 1 with a rookie QB.

Bob

It's hard to look outstanding as a pro QB when your main man, AJ Green, cannot get any separation.  Andy's performance in the last playoff game was directly related to the poor performance of his receivers.  Sound familiar?

Punter1

Jake102 said:

Agreed...very very good young talent and smart coaches around him. He needs to stay in Cinci. It's a dream job for a young QB...

MAcFroggy

This is a very interesting year for Dalton.  This is his 4th season in the league and he has had regular season success.  However, he has had 3 miserable playoff performances.  This will be his first year without his offensive coordinator and biggest advocate on the coaching staff as Jay Gruden left to become the head coach with the Redskins.  Hopefully he can take another step forward this season.  Even if the Bengals do not resign him, I think there will be a market for him in free agency.  There are just not enough NFL quality quarterback in the NFL for one with a proven track record to sit on the bench or at home.

geno

Don't you wish Andy were as good as Romo so he could get that $120 million contract?  What, you say Romo hasn't had the Cowboys in the playoffs in how many years?  You say the Cowboys are exactly 118 wins, 118 losses under Romo's direction?  What a strange world!

MAcFroggy

geno said:
Don't you wish Andy were as good as Romo so he could get that $120 million contract?  What, you say Romo hasn't had the Cowboys in the playoffs in how many years?  You say the Cowboys are exactly 118 wins, 118 losses under Romo's direction?  What a strange world!

Not sure where you are getting that 118-118 stat, but I do not think it is correct.  Unless, Tony Romo has already played 15 seasons as a Starter.

To be fair to Romo, Andy Dalton has a much better team and coach (and GM!) around him than Romo does.